The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2019, 01:42 PM   #26
Black Wolf

Not trying to switch the topic from the gun to the caliber, but.....

I am very interested in 327FM. I have been strongly considering an SP101 3" in this caliber. I have a 2" SP101 in 357 but (1) like the balance of a little more pipe an (2) am intrigued by this new comer

The part I am having trouble getting past is - while I do not mind reloading, Dillon does not sell EITHER caliber conversions (for the Square Deal B) OR even standard dies (I also have a RL550) for 327 Fed. So my options are to either buy dies elsewhere and load on the 550 (or a single stage) or load 32 H&R on my SDB and just carry factory. Both are less than ideal but not quite deal breakers yet.

The other reason for my hesitation is - It really just seems like a "wonder 9". Not doggin on the round, I actually want one, but ain't it just doing the same thing a 9mm +P could? I mean if went down to 90gr on 9mm, couldn't I squeak the same FPS and ME out of it? And if that IS the case, why do I stop carrying my 9mm. I comfortably (in a Vedder) conceal a P10c w/an RMR. I have 15 in it and a spare 15 on deck. I guess where I'm going is - giving up capacity for 357 is an arguably fair trade. Giving up capacity for (pretty much) the same caliber makes me wonder if I'm thinking straight.

To see how bad my capacity addiction is, I walked the dog carrying my SP101 instead of my CZ. Felt kinda weird, not sure I'm going to be able to adjust. I'd be totally sold on 327 if I could just sling a rifle in the same caliber all day
Old March 7, 2019, 02:51 PM   #27
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post

I am very interested in 327FM. I have been strongly considering an SP101 3" in this caliber. I have a 2" SP101 in 357 but (1) like the balance of a little more pipe an (2) am intrigued by this new comer

The part I am having trouble getting past is - while I do not mind reloading, Dillon does not sell EITHER caliber conversions (for the Square Deal B) OR even standard dies (I also have a RL550) for 327 Fed. So my options are to either buy dies elsewhere and load on the 550 (or a single stage) or load 32 H&R on my SDB and just carry factory. Both are less than ideal but not quite deal breakers yet.

Not doggin on the round, I actually want one, but ain't it just doing the same thing a 9mm +P could? I mean if went down to 90gr on 9mm, couldn't I squeak the same FPS and ME out of it?
Dies that load 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Magnum would load the 327 Federal. I use Lee 32 H&R Magnum dies on my Dillon 650 and load all three calibers. Not sure about the SDB, but you could ask Dillon.

From a 3" barrel SP101 you can expect a 100 grain Federal factory round to clock at ~1400 fps. They produce 1550 fps from my Ruger 4.2" barrel and 1313 from my 1.87" LCR.

Those are the details. Good luck with your decision.
Old March 7, 2019, 03:15 PM   #28
TxFlyFish

Kimber, Colt, Charter, Armscor make carry size revolvers in 6 shots. Nowadays 38+p 125 and 158 can fly at over 1000fps out of a snub barrel
Old March 7, 2019, 03:44 PM   #29
reteach

I think the thread is as much about the caliber as the gun. To your point about high capacity auto vs 6 round revolver, the question really becomes hi cap semi auto vs revolver, regardless of caliber.

People talk about how the big advantage of the .327 is that you can get six rounds of a cartridge that is very well suited to personal defense in a gun the size of a j-frame. One extra round is not that big a deal to me. I just like revolvers and I'm OK with carrying a 5 or 6 shooter (with a speed loader on my belt). The other thing I like about the caliber is that the guns can accept such a variety of cartridges. I can load my LCRX with .32 mag and have a light weight gun that's fairly easy to shoot and still has a decent personal defense round.

But it seems that your decision (along with countless other shooters) is whether you feel good about carrying a 6 shooter. That's a tough one. But I would say buy the Sp101 and shoot it because it's fun to shoot. Decide whether you can be comfortable carrying it after you've shot it for a while. I don't think you would have any trouble selling it if you decided you didn't like it.
Old March 7, 2019, 04:04 PM   #30
Black Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
Dies that load 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Magnum would load the 327 Federal. I use Lee 32 H&R Magnum dies on my Dillon 650 and load all three calibers. Not sure about the SDB, but you could ask Dillon.

From a 3" barrel SP101 you can expect a 100 grain Federal factory round to clock at ~1400 fps. They produce 1550 fps from my Ruger 4.2" barrel and 1313 from my 1.87" LCR.

Those are the details. Good luck with your decision.
Already did ask Dillon. Not just a negative on the SDB conversion kits, they specifically said THEIR standard dies, in 32 H&R can not be used on full length 327 cases. Something about their dies having a different thickness. Yea, I could put Lee dies in the 550 I guess.
Old March 7, 2019, 06:27 PM   #31
Black Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by reteach View Post
I think the thread is as much about the caliber as the gun. To your point about high capacity auto vs 6 round revolver, the question really becomes hi cap semi auto vs revolver, regardless of caliber.

People talk about how the big advantage of the .327 is that you can get six rounds of a cartridge that is very well suited to personal defense in a gun the size of a j-frame. One extra round is not that big a deal to me. I just like revolvers and I'm OK with carrying a 5 or 6 shooter (with a speed loader on my belt). The other thing I like about the caliber is that the guns can accept such a variety of cartridges. I can load my LCRX with .32 mag and have a light weight gun that's fairly easy to shoot and still has a decent personal defense round.

But it seems that your decision (along with countless other shooters) is whether you feel good about carrying a 6 shooter. That's a tough one. But I would say buy the Sp101 and shoot it because it's fun to shoot. Decide whether you can be comfortable carrying it after you've shot it for a while. I don't think you would have any trouble selling it if you decided you didn't like it.
I believe you are 100% correct!

The real question I'm struggling with is - am i comfortable carrying only a revolver. Funny thing is I think I like them better. I cut my teeth on single actions, grew up on a nice piece of property and always had my Single Six on my hip. To this day, the auto I have been the most proficient with (not counting 1911's) was a Sig P250. It was DAO but not like most, it had a light smooth consistent pull. Sometimes too light, consistently got light strikes with Tula. Point is, it shot like a tuned revolver and I ran against guys rocking Kimber 1911's.

I'm typing this while waiting on my wife in the grocery store. All I'm carrying is an SP101 in 357, seeing if I can get over the fear of not having enough ammo because I really do think I like spinners better. Of course, my CZ P10c is in the car with an extra mag just in case I go into withdrawal lol
Old March 7, 2019, 09:31 PM   #32
tallball

I will have an LCR in 327 as soon as I run across one that I consider affordable.

In the summer I carry my LCR 38 a lot, but I have to have larger grips on it. I think I could do just fine with the 327 and the smaller grip, especially if I carried 32 H&R.
Old March 7, 2019, 09:51 PM   #33
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallball View Post
I will have an LCR in 327 as soon as I run across one that I consider affordable.

In the summer I carry my LCR 38 a lot, but I have to have larger grips on it. I think I could do just fine with the 327 and the smaller grip, especially if I carried 32 H&R.
we're in the same boat.
Old March 7, 2019, 10:42 PM   #34
reteach

Quote:
my CZ P10c is in the car with an extra mag just in case
Maybe that really is your solution - carry the .327 with some kind of backup gun.
Old March 8, 2019, 01:31 AM   #35
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
Not trying to switch the topic from the gun to the caliber, but.....

The other reason for my hesitation is - It really just seems like a "wonder 9". Not doggin on the round, I actually want one, but ain't it just doing the same thing a 9mm +P could? I mean if went down to 90gr on 9mm, couldn't I squeak the same FPS and ME out of it? And if that IS the case, why do I stop carrying my 9mm. I comfortably (in a Vedder) conceal a P10c w/an RMR. I have 15 in it and a spare 15 on deck. I guess where I'm going is - giving up capacity for 357 is an arguably fair trade. Giving up capacity for (pretty much) the same caliber makes me wonder if I'm thinking straight.

To see how bad my capacity addiction is, I walked the dog carrying my SP101 instead of my CZ. Felt kinda weird, not sure I'm going to be able to adjust. I'd be totally sold on 327 if I could just sling a rifle in the same caliber all day
On the .327 being a wonder 9, it kind of is when it comes to a conceal carry revolver, especially in a snub nose. 85 grains of bullet in a diameter that's 1mm smaller means low recoil, yet good sectional density for penetration. A 125 grain .38+P is no slouch and can be controllable, but .327 just blows it away in terms of defensive use.

9mm +P in a pistol is not going anywhere near as fast as .327 is.

In larger revolvers, the .327 is punching above its weight class and with 100 grain loads, it feels like the same recoil as 125 grain .357 Mag and when the GP100 is available in 7 shot models, why get the .327 in the GP100 at all?

IMO, .327 is great for a rifle as the same versatility others are citing also applies in a rifle. So, if you're interested in the .327 and shorter members of the .32 family, get the Henry in .327 and enjoy. For a revolver, the LCR is the best match for the caliber, but the single seven is looking better and better all the time to me.
Old March 8, 2019, 02:41 AM   #36
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Maybe that really is your solution - carry the .327 with some kind of backup gun.
Setting aside any statistics or math regarding the real-world effectiveness of that sixth round, there is a psychological value to it. Younger shooters might not get this, but I grew up in a world of six-shooters. Heck, the police carried six-shooters back in the day. So when I carry a six-shooter, I feel like it's enough.

I carried a J-frame in .38 special for years and then spent a few more with the LCR 38. I felt fairly confident in my abilities with the small guns but I was never very happy with the caliber or capacity. It put me in the frame of mind to think about things like back-up guns or whether to carry a speed loader. I never did. I only kept carrying it because I trusted .38 special over .380 and I never managed to get my hands on one of the older J-frames in .32 H&R magnum. When the LCR 327 came out, it was a perfect fit for me.
Old March 8, 2019, 07:24 AM   #37
Black Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
On the .327 being a wonder 9, it kind of is when it comes to a conceal carry revolver, especially in a snub nose. 85 grains of bullet in a diameter that's 1mm smaller means low recoil, yet good sectional density for penetration. A 125 grain .38+P is no slouch and can be controllable, but .327 just blows it away in terms of defensive use.

In larger revolvers, the .327 is punching above its weight class and with 100 grain loads, it feels like the same recoil as 125 grain .357 Mag and when the GP100 is available in 7 shot models, why get the .327 in the GP100 at all?

IMO, .327 is great for a rifle as the same versatility others are citing also applies in a rifle. So, if you're interested in the .327 and shorter members of the .32 family, get the Henry in .327 and enjoy. For a revolver, the LCR is the best match for the caliber, but the single seven is looking better and better all the time to me.
At that weight it is, according to this chart

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php

As for why a GP100, I agree and don't want one. I was looking at the SP101. A buddy has the LCR (not in 327 tho). I've shot it, it's alright, but I prefer the "solid" feel of the SP101.
Old March 8, 2019, 07:37 AM   #38
Lohman446

I've been wavering on the .327 for some time. I like what it offers BUT do not see the sixth shot in a revolver being enough for me to jump towards it. As I noted earlier if we were talking a double action revolver the rough size of a bearcat in .327 even with 4 or 5 rounds I would be all over that.

I would also be well into .327 if Henry rifles had a loading gate.

The single seven is looking more and more like my first foray into it though.

So, despite the love the LCR gets for the sixth shot, and the LCR in general, its not that I don't like the .327 its that at this point any gun I buy is a luxury purchase (I don't need it) and when I do luxury purchases I tend not to compromise on what I want.

LCR is a fine gun. .327 is a fine round. Don't love them together.

Last edited by Lohman446; March 8, 2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old March 8, 2019, 10:44 AM   #39
HighValleyRanch

Quote:

I chronographed the 65 grain ARX at 1622 out of my M&P Shield with it's 3" barrel, and 1730 average out of my Glock 19.
Old March 8, 2019, 12:34 PM   #40
reteach

We have plenty of chronograph numbers for the .32's. Has anyone seen a controlled gel test for .32 H&R and/or .327 FM? The math tells us that both of those should be effective, but I'd like to have a visual to go along with the math.
Old March 8, 2019, 12:53 PM   #41
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by reteach View Post
We have plenty of chronograph numbers for the .32's. Has anyone seen a controlled gel test for .32 H&R and/or .327 FM? The math tells us that both of those should be effective, but I'd like to have a visual to go along with the math.
A little here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_m4M8CAe0

And here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kmRYH0jX-Y

A google search turned these up. Could have done that yourself.

Last edited by 74A95; March 8, 2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old March 8, 2019, 01:20 PM   #42
reteach

I guess my google fu ain't up to snuff. I have been searching - didn't ask the question right. Thanks for posting them.

So those vids confirm that with either .32 H&R or .327 FM you can be confident that an LCR will do the job in a defense situation.
Old March 8, 2019, 02:23 PM   #43
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I chronographed the 65 grain ARX at 1622 out of my M&P Shield with it's 3" barrel, and 1730 average out of my Glock 19.
Cool, but that ammo isn't standard ammo and when I compare different calibers, I'm taking the regular ammo and comparing them head to head, not the boutique Inceptor or Buffalo Bore/Doubletap stuff.

But I guess that when there's a caliber comparison, the new rule on the internet is to judge it by what the boutique ammo can do. I'll keep that in mind.
Old March 8, 2019, 02:43 PM   #44
HighValleyRanch

For some unknown reason, they sell that "boutique" ARX 9mm at my local hardware store here in Northern rural California! But it's 20.00 for 25 rounds. Not range ammo for sure.
Old March 8, 2019, 03:58 PM   #45
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
For some unknown reason, they sell that "boutique" ARX 9mm at my local hardware store here in Northern rural California! But it's 20.00 for 25 rounds. Not range ammo for sure.
Can get it for less online, including the unfluted bullets that cost half as much and do the same damage in gel.

But you're right, if the ARX is that fast, then there's no reason to shoot .300 BLK cuz in a 16 inch barrel that ARX is probably going faster
Old March 8, 2019, 10:32 PM   #46
Doc Holliday 1950

Great replies pro & con. The one major point that I forgot to say is that for the first time in years my wife found the perfect carry for her. The LCR 327 fit her hand perfectly & being recoil sensitive the 32 H&R Hornady is a excellent SD round for her. When we went to our range I fired her LCR using 32 S&WL fmj ammo & was quite impressed. I bought a box of the Hornady ammo & was more than impressed. I went out & bought one for myself. Her LCR was priced at $445
the owner of my GS told me a client ordered it but changed his mind after it came in. Mine cost $535. Our practice ammo runs in the $12/box of 50 & our SD ammo runs in the $16/box of 25. These prices are not wallet busters or boutique ammo.
This is just about my wife finally finding the right carry which just happens to be a great revolver that Ruger came out with but never really tried to market it properly.

Doc
Old March 9, 2019, 12:00 AM   #47
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday 1950 View Post
Great replies pro & con. The one major point that I forgot to say is that for the first time in years my wife found the perfect carry for her. The LCR 327 fit her hand perfectly & being recoil sensitive the 32 H&R Hornady is a excellent SD round for her. When we went to our range I fired her LCR using 32 S&WL fmj ammo & was quite impressed. I bought a box of the Hornady ammo & was more than impressed. I went out & bought one for myself. Her LCR was priced at $445
the owner of my GS told me a client ordered it but changed his mind after it came in. Mine cost $535. Our practice ammo runs in the $12/box of 50 & our SD ammo runs in the $16/box of 25. These prices are not wallet busters or boutique ammo.
This is just about my wife finally finding the right carry which just happens to be a great revolver that Ruger came out with but never really tried to market it properly.
I don't think you can blame Ruger for the .327's slow start, 2008 was a very hectic year financially and politically and come 2009 we were knee deep in a very bad recession that we didn't really come out of fully until 2012 and at that time we had several high profile mass shootings that led to a panic.

People either didn't have the money to buy a new revolver or were terrified and ran out to buy semi auto's with detachable magazines. I was told by a guy who worked at Ruger that if it wasn't for the Sandy Hook shooting, he would have struggled to pay bills and food cuz he was working 20 hours a week overtime due to the demand.

Ruger had to cut production on .327, they didn't have the machines or people to dedicate to making the guns.

.327's best chance to gain traction is now and it appears it is gaining traction with women for concealed carry. What .327 and .32 Mag need right now is more companies to start making ammo for it and make the ammo affordable. $27 for American Eagle JSP is pricey and when you consider it's not using as much brass or lead as .357, there's no reason it can't be closer to $20.

Hopefully the cheaper ammo makers like Armscor, Magtech, PMC, PPU, Fiocchi start getting into manufacturing .32 Mag and .327 Mag. That's when the tide is gonna change.
Old March 9, 2019, 12:23 AM   #48
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post

$27 for American Eagle JSP is pricey and when you consider it's not using as much brass or lead as .357, there's no reason it can't be closer to $20.
here you go https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...liber/10000672
Old March 9, 2019, 01:41 AM   #49
Doc Holliday 1950

truthTellers,
I completely forgot about 2008 when the money got really tight. You hit the nail on the button. It was my wife who found the LCR 327. Just as a side note. When she shoots at our range, she draws quite a crowd watching her shoot. It seems that they're not used to seeing a 69 year old woman shooting 5 out of 6 bulls eyes with consistency at 25 feet using both target & SD ammo. I do buy the ammo in bulk at a 1000 rounds at a time which gives me a rebate & free shipping. Every little thing helps.Thanks for the reminder.

Doc
Old March 9, 2019, 01:42 AM   #50
reteach

You can find .32 S&W Long for around $16.00/50. It's not magnum, but it's accurate and gives you good trigger time.