The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 18, 2015, 12:15 AM   #1
bamaranger

North Carolina

An acquaintance is moving to NC. He owns several firearms including some handguns. This young man is law abiding, with no criminal history, employed, etc. I can find nothing that forbids his possession of firearms as a new resident.

In checking we note that NC requires a handgun PURCHASE permit. This is a bit odd to us, but apparently is the law of the land in NC. Are there any other twists to firearms law exclusive to NC, or of NC, of which we should be aware?
Old September 18, 2015, 02:58 AM   #2
throttleup

NC Handun Purchase Permits

Yes you are correct. NC does require you to get a Handgun Purchase Permit to buy a handgun. You can pick one up (or a few) at any Sheriff's office. It is given to the dealer when the gun is purchased. NC also has a law holding you legally responsible if your firearms fall into the hands of a child.

Other than that, they are pretty much the same as most other Southern States. Without a Concealed Handgun Permit, a loaded handgun in a vehicle must be in plain view either on the seat or dash and a law enforcement officer must be so advised as soon as they are within speaking distance. NC also has open carry unless posted against it.

NC's Concealed Handgun Permit is recognized by 37 other states, one of the most recognized of all the states. It would be a good idea to get a CHL as soon as possible.
Old September 18, 2015, 01:01 PM   #3
Skans

Throttleup, I too appreciate this information. As I travel frequently in N. Georgia, N.C and S.C., I've been unsure about what N.C.'s handguns laws are concerning CC permit holders. I sometimes cross in and out of all three states within 30 minute timespan.
Old September 18, 2015, 02:45 PM   #4
gc70

A Handgun Purchase Permit (or the use of a Concealed Handgun Permit as a substitute) is required for any TRANSFER of a handgun in North Carolina, whether in a commercial transaction with a FFL or a private transaction with an individual.

There are no state restrictions or requirements regarding a person's firearms when they move to North Carolina.
Old September 18, 2015, 03:31 PM   #5
gyvel

When I was stationed in NC in 1970, the purchase permit fee was $.50, which had to be obtained from the local sheriff's office. It was easy enough, but I felt it was somewhat borderline infringement.
SIFE
Old September 18, 2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Dinobert

the NC handgun permit is good for 5 years once issued. More than one can be purchased at a time, but I think the limit is Two per purchase. In my county they are $5/ea. I don't know if all counties charge the same fee. You apply for them at the sheriff's office from your county of residence. One thing to note is that if your address changes after the permit is issued (as it is good for 5 years), the permit becomes invalid.
I did read an article in last months Guns and Ammo that said the NC legislature is considering doing away with purchase permits.
Old September 18, 2015, 09:58 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
they are pretty much the same as most other Southern States. Without a Concealed Handgun Permit, a loaded handgun in a vehicle must be in plain view either on the seat or dash and a law enforcement officer must be so advised as soon as they are within speaking distance.
Duty to inform is not a requirement in many states, especially here in the South.

handgunlaw will have the latest info on each state and what is allowed.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 25, 2015, 01:31 AM   #8
bamaranger

thanks

Thanks to all for responses.