The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 12, 2019, 02:57 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Taurus extending warranty on new guns...

If you register them with Taurus within 30 days of purchase.

https://warranty.taurususa.com/

For those who may not be aware, Taurus changed their lifetime warranty policy for new guns last year to a 1 year warranty, much to the dismay of potential owners.

I'm not a fan of this new policy, it's a slippery slope that other manufacturers might start to follow and refuse warranty service on secondhand guns.

Thoughts? It's not going to stop me from maybe getting a Public Defender in the future, but I'm not all in on this. If you stand behind your product, you shouldn't make warranty work only applicable to the original owner. What happens if that person dies and passes their firearm on to their kin and they have an issue that requires work? Taurus is basically saying "too bad, sorry for your loss btw."
Old March 12, 2019, 02:47 PM   #2
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
If you register them with Taurus within 30 days of purchase.

https://warranty.taurususa.com/

For those who may not be aware, Taurus changed their lifetime warranty policy for new guns last year to a 1 year warranty, much to the dismay of potential owners.

I'm not a fan of this new policy, it's a slippery slope that other manufacturers might start to follow and refuse warranty service on secondhand guns.

Thoughts? It's not going to stop me from maybe getting a Public Defender in the future, but I'm not all in on this. If you stand behind your product, you shouldn't make warranty work only applicable to the original owner. What happens if that person dies and passes their firearm on to their kin and they have an issue that requires work? Taurus is basically saying "too bad, sorry for your loss btw."
It's not a slippery slope, Many if not most guns with a lifetime guarantee is for the original owner only. Hi-Point is the only one that comes to mind that still honors the lifetime warranty that goes with the gun.
Old March 12, 2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Targa

The original owner is reasonable to me.
Old March 13, 2019, 12:48 AM   #4
riffraff

My impression of Taurus is for the most part they carry a less expensive version of various guns I become interested in here and there. Not real familiar with Taurus but I thought if you were buying the best it wouldn't ever be them..

I own one, worth what I paid but then didn't pay much either...

I would assume they still support their guns for a long time even if the repair is billed to the owner? IMHO for a cheap gun, paying for a repair after a year, not an outrageous policy if it keeps costs down... Now if they price repairs over the top or fail to produce parts < 10 years later with no remedy, that is a much greater problem IMHO.
Old March 13, 2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Old 454

Rock Island Armory still has a life time warrenty that follows the weapon for life.

Taurus ... uggg...
Friend of mine has one of the millenium 45's... it completely locked up. Sent it in for repair.
They stated to him they cant repair or replace the gun due to a law suit with that model gun. So much for there life time warrenty
Old March 13, 2019, 12:25 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Get a Ruger, and forget about the warranty.

from what I've seen over the years, if you get a "Good one", Taurus is a decent gun for the money. If you don't get a good one, you have almost no end of headaches, and many have had to have multiple trips for repair. I'd say its not impossible that a one year warranty might expire while your gun is being shipped back and forth.

If they offer something no one else does, and you just gotta have it, fine. Go ahead, and I hope you enjoy. If you're buying Taurus because its a little cheaper than a Smith, or Ruger, you may save a few bucks.

You may also be investing in false economy.
Old March 13, 2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Bayou

I also was about to mention Ruger for their firearm product service. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Ruger will service their firearms for as long as they are in production and parts are available at the factory - regardless of first or subsequent owner.

So, my Redhawk would be serviced by Ruger, as it remains in production even though I am not the original owner. But my older Security Six, of which I am the original owner, would not be serviced by the factory as it is long out of production, and the availability of parts at the factory no longer exists.

My only Taurus firearm is a 2001 vintage model 970 in 22lr. It cost about $250 back then. All I wanted was a 22 plinker and didn't want to spend $500 or so for a S&W. Fortunately, this piece has turned out to be a very fine shooter.

All the Best -

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"

Last edited by Bayou; March 13, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old March 13, 2019, 01:10 PM   #8
riffraff

Hmmm I'm not sure Ruger does that for everything, a friend had a rifle by them where he had to go to the gun store seeking a 2nd receipt to validate warranty repair.
Old March 13, 2019, 01:36 PM   #9
ifithitu

Thanks for sharing the link,I didn't know that.
Old March 13, 2019, 03:04 PM   #10
Skans

"For those who may not be aware, Taurus changed their lifetime warranty policy for new guns last year to a 1 year warranty, much to the dismay of potential owners. Thoughts?"

My thought is that I ALWAYS buy the gun and ignore the warranty. A warranty is worthless when the time comes that you really need your gun to work flawlessly.

Taurus used to give lifetime warranties, but some of their guns were sketchy. Perhaps now, they make a better product; I haven't owned a Taurus since 1995. I like to purchase guns that have exceptional fit, finish, workmanship and function. When I purchase a gun, I don't even ask if a warranty comes with it because in the unlikely event that it breaks, it can easily be fixed. And, if it breaks catastrophically, I really don't want the damn thing anyway.
Old March 16, 2019, 03:17 PM   #11
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
I also was about to mention Ruger for their firearm product service. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Ruger will service their firearms for as long as they are in production and parts are available at the factory - regardless of first or subsequent owner.
As per a Ruger Rep who sold me two Rugers at the last local "Ruger Days" at my LGS.

Ruger gives no warranty, written or implied. They repair firearms at their own discretion and that discretion may or may not change over a period of time. IOWs, if they repair any firearm, it is out of good faith and not because of a promise(warranty). This good faith is invoked by the interest of it's investors and that too, may or not change over time.

IOWs, as long as investors are making monies, odds are things won't change. Warranty costs are generally figured into the base price of the item. Companies that have been in business for a while, know from the past, how well their products hold up and how many folks seek repairs. Quality control is also a factor in this. Companies that have faith in the quality and durability of their product are not afraid to offer a warranty. A company that makes a POS product, sells it for little of nuttin' and offers a written lifetime warranty on it, ain't gonna be in business for long.
Old March 16, 2019, 04:56 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
A company that makes a POS product, sells it for little of nuttin' and offers a written lifetime warranty on it, ain't gonna be in business for long.
Except Hi Point, but that depends on what your personal definition is of POS.
Old March 17, 2019, 01:48 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Ruger gives no warranty, written or implied. They repair firearms at their own discretion and that discretion may or may not change over a period of time. IOWs, if they repair any firearm, it is out of good faith and not because of a promise(warranty). This good faith is invoked by the interest of it's investors and that too, may or not change over time.
Yep, its a good faith promise of "we stand behind our products". Ruger used to have a written warranty. From what I heard, Ruger finally got tired of trying to comply with the verbiage different locations required to be in a written warranty. So, they dispensed with a written warranty while still "standing behind their products".

Personally, I thought it an elegant solution to the "death by duckbites" overregulation of written warranties.