The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 28, 2019, 09:21 AM   #1
LineStretcher

S&W Governor

I happened across an S&W Governor at my favorite and local gun store the other day. I had dismissed them and the Tarus Judge as being a practical home defense/personal defense weapon I the past just because I wasn't really confident that a 2-1/2" or 3" (Judge) 410 shot shell would be adequate. Instead I opted for Benelli M4 Super 90 and a Glock 45 as my bedside home defense weapons.

My dealer told me that there are now many, readily available, 410 handgun loads for personal defense that are quite effective in the 3 to 15 yard range and that I should have another look. I didn't buy it right then and there but instead did a little more keyboard research.

My conclusion was that if I loaded two 410, and either four 45 long colts or some other combination of LC and ACP and kept filled .45 ACP moon clips at the ready then it could very well serve my personal/home defense gun. The only remaining obstacle was it's size while serving as a personal defense weapon. That was easily solved because I have two other CC guns and the Governor would reside in my nightstand or on my hip when I'm out in the desert.

I had my choice of the Governor or the Judge but decided on the Governor because of it's .45ACP capability using moon clips which allow for rapid reloading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Governor.jpg (179.4 KB, 39 views)
Old February 28, 2019, 01:57 PM   #2
TruthTellers

Haven't seen much talk about the Governor lately, guess the bloom came off the rose a few years ago, but it's not a bad gun. Chunky and impractical for carrying outside the home, but probably fun for range use and definitely a good home defense gun.

I just think the Public Defenders that Taurus makes are better because you can carry them and even if you don't, are just as good for home defense as the Governor.

The .45 ACP thing is nice, but there are better revolvers that shoot that cartridge.
Old February 28, 2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Targa

Great night stand gun. I would fill it with Winchester PDX .410’s or something similiar and call it good.
Old March 1, 2019, 05:53 AM   #4
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post

The .45 ACP thing is nice, but there are better revolvers that shoot that cartridge.

Recommendations? In the market ... wanna load some low recoil 45’s for the wife to shoot.
Old March 1, 2019, 08:45 AM   #5
Drm50

I'm a S&W hoarder. While I don't want either one, I think they are novelty guns. I have had
both and would definitely pick the S&W. I've actually had more experience shooting the
Judge. For 410 purposes they are about the same. I've had 4 judges, all taken on trades and with 45s they won't shoot same place twice.
Old March 1, 2019, 09:12 AM   #6
buck460XVR

Like with any other firearm, as long as it fits your purpose and you like it, you need not justify it to anyone. Odds are, folks will come along later in this thread and condescend your choice. It's what they do.

Enjoy and shoot safe.
Old March 1, 2019, 12:18 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

https://modernsurvivalonline.com/the...ke-the-plague/

https://www.swatmag.com/article/verd...udge-revolver/

I shudder to enter a Judge/Governor debate but feel a moral responsibilty to present some quality info on the weapons.

If this is condescending, well - that's the way it is. Also, varying loads in a gun is regarded as poor practice by us elitist shooters.
Old March 1, 2019, 01:11 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB101
Recommendations? In the market ... wanna load some low recoil 45’s for the wife to shoot.
Ruger Blackhawk, Charter Pitbull, S&W
Old March 1, 2019, 04:45 PM   #9
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
Great night stand gun. I would fill it with Winchester PDX .410’s or something similiar and call it good.
I actually did that. I just put 6 PDX's in it, threw it in the night stand and put my Glock 45 and my Benelli M4 Super 90 in the safe.