The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 2010, 03:24 AM   #1
.454 newb

250gr Laser Cast RNFP in .45 Colt

I'm going to start reloading .45 colt as my first attempt since they seem like a mild load but would like to load them a bit hotter after I get the process down. The problem is I already bought a 500 round box of 250gr Laser Cast RNFP bullets and the load data I was sent by Lasercast doesn't show anything more than cowboy loads. Why couldn't you load this bullet to ruger specs (maybe 1000 fps)? I have a Super Redhawk in .454 Cassull/.45colt and would like to shoot some hotter loads once I get comfortable with the cowboy stuff. Does anyonne know this weight/shape couldn't be loaded a bit heavier?
Old October 3, 2010, 06:15 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

I have loaded some RNFP bullets for use in my .45 Colt. (I do not know what a Laser Craft bullet is. Is it a lead bullet, gas checked, copper jacket or a plated bullet?)

Currently I am using IMR HiSkor 700-X, I really like this powder.

Most of my loads are supposed to give me between 800 - 930 FPS and I have no problems with them. You want loads that will go to 1000 fps or higher.

I know there are loads that will give you higher speeds (and pressure) and the bullets should handle it. I am not sure how much faster you can go on these bullets before the pressure start cutting past the lead.

I see the following loads (listed for Ruger/T/C Contender) from Lyman Bullets, 250 gr.

Red Dot 6.5 gr (835 fps) - 9.4 gr (1097 fps)
Unique 9.0 gr (875 fps) - 11.5 gr (1185 fps)
700-X 6.0 gr (800 fps) - 9.0 gr (1122 fps)
(THESE LOADS HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED BY ME, I am reprinting them as an example only. When ever you start experimenting with new loads, ALWAYS confirm the source of the data and make sure you can trust it.)

I would check Loaddata.com for more recommendation. You could always load these bullets up as practice rounds (Cowboy loads) and then when you are more comfortable, get the bullets you want, using the lists in your reloading manual...
Old October 3, 2010, 07:58 AM   #3
LDBennett

The problem with any cast bullet is that if you try to push it down the barrel too fast, it slips out of the rifling, stripping off lead and coating the inside of the barrel with some lead. That's what leading is, mostly.

Keep the velocity below 1000 FPS and most cast pistol bullets MAY not lead the barrel. But there are ways to shoot cast bullets as fast or nearly as fast as jacketed bullets. There is the really hard bullets that include lots of tin (relatively) or gas check bullets that include a tiny cup clipped onto the back of the bullet that seals the bullet to the bore. But these two "solutions" usually require that you cast your own bullets. Plated bullets from Rainier or Berry's Bullets can also eliminate or at least minimize leading even when pushed to higher velocities but are more expensive than plain cast bullets but not as expensive as jacketed bullets.

An alternative for hot loads in pistol cartridges is to use Remington or Winchester Bulk jacketed bullets. They are a bit less expensive than "boxed" bullet from others, shoot well, and will not lead the bore at any velocity that pistols use.

So keep the cast bullet velocities below 1000 FPS and you'll probably be fine.

LDBennett
Old October 3, 2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Does anyone know [if] this weight/shape couldn't be loaded a bit heavier?
Yes, it can, I do it often. I've found that Lasercast bullets can take a bit more velocity than softer lead bullets. I shoot that very same bullet in my Vaquero and a Win 94, and they aren't Cowboy loads.

I have the Lasercast reloading manual and they have a ".45 Colt (Ruger only)" section. Most of the loads will max out at greater than 1000 fps. Instead of typing out all the entries, which powder are you interested in?

H110/W296
700X
Unique
HS-7
Old October 3, 2010, 09:53 AM   #5
.454 newb

That's the thing - Oregon Trail sent me the pages out of their manual for the Standard & Cowboy loads and Ruger loads. The standard sections has data for 200 & 250 gr RNFP loads but the Ruger section only show loads for 255 gr semi wadcutter & 300 gr flat point. I was thinking if other manuals show load data for regular lead 250 gr at Ruger specs, why couldn't these Laser Cast do the same? I haven't bought any powder yet but was thinking Unique.
Old October 3, 2010, 10:07 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

NOOOOO!!!!

Be thinking "modern easy-metering clean(er)-burning Hodgdon Universal", the ballistic equivalent of (old dirty evil-metering) Unique.

Yeah.....

Then, if you want your bullets to go faster, you can use either AA9, or H110/W296.
Old October 3, 2010, 10:11 AM   #7
.454 newb

I am thinking H110 for when I get started on the .454 but didn't see it anywhere in the manuals I have for the 250gr .45 colt
Old October 3, 2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Sarge

454 Newb,

There is little to be gained by pushing a cast RNFP much beyond 850 fps. It can, however, be done in a strong revolver. Take a look at John Linebaugh's work with this cartridge for some ideas.
Old October 3, 2010, 11:24 AM   #9
jmortimer

Unique is the most popular powder for the .45 Colt for a reason. The Oregon Trail Laser Cast are around 20 bhn I believe so you drive them up to 1,200 even without a gas check. Load Data has the Speer information for a 250 grain GDHP at 10.8 grains max load out of 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk at 1,075 fps so you would be good to 11 grains of Unique with a lead bullet and should get around 1,100 fps. For me, 10 grains of Unique in a Blackhawk would be perfect at around 1,000 fps.

Last edited by jmortimer; October 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old October 3, 2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Sarge

Unique may be the most popular powder among .45 Colt shooters who haven't tried W231
Old October 3, 2010, 12:10 PM   #11
TXGunNut

I've been using 7.5 Hodgdon Universal Clays lately, cleaner than Unique and seems to meter better as well. More loads/lb doesn't hurt either.
I've loaded 231 but have no record of the results, guess I should give it another look, Sarge. Seem to have quite a bit of it around.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 3, 2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by .454 newb
... the Ruger section only show loads for 255 gr semi wadcutter & 300 gr flat point.
You can safely use the data for the 255 gr bullet as long as you use the normal loading principle of working up from the min load.
Old October 4, 2010, 02:43 PM   #13
temmi

Oddly enough... my question too

Oddly enough...

I posted this on a different site...

Lazer Cast 250g RNFP bullet

I was thinken about 12g of Blue Dot...

Mainly because I have a lot of it and it has a shot to better fill the case...

I got the Recipe from the Alliant site … it is for LSWC will this work for a RNFP too…

What do you think?

T
Old October 4, 2010, 07:38 PM   #14
Ozzieman

Do you have hardness for those bullets?
I have been working on a 320 GR cast lead bullet with a hardness of 22+ at over 1400 FPS using H110 in a 44 magnum and no gas check in a rifle.
Very little leading and accuracy that has far surpassed any jacketed.
Go to Penn bullets and look at their 44 mag section and select the 320 Grain SSK bullets. There is an article attached that talk about using the same bullet in 45 using 4277 at over 1300 FPS in a Blackhawk.
What I found using heavy loads with lead the diameter is VERY important. You want to have the bullet match your gun and these great people will size the 45 with 4 different diameters.
Keep o thing in mind. When you start pushing these heave bullets at these kinds of velocities, you want to work up very slowly and keep an eye out for pressure.
http://www.pennbullets.com/44/44-caliber.html

My guess on these bullets your using, the reasion they only give you cowboy loads is that they are so soft anything over 1000 and you will be shooting a shotgun.
Old October 7, 2010, 12:53 AM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Do you have hardness for those bullets?
Do you have a thumbnail?
While having a good hardness rating is fine, the "rule of thumb" also works. Try to notch the base of the bullet with your thumbnail. If you leave a bright mark (or no mark) the bullet will be good to 1000fps or maybe more, without leading. IF you can gouge out a small divot in the lead, keep the speed low, 850fps, or so.

I have been loading 10.0gr Unique under a 250gr bullet (usually SWC, but sometimes RNFP) for 27 years. My Blackhawks like it. I like it. And while there are probably cleaner powders out there today, I'm not changing. CLocks 1070fps avg from my 7.5" barrel.
Hits hard, and recoil is not painful. And did I mention accurate? I can ring the 200yd gong on the rifle range, all day long.