The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 25, 2018, 07:27 PM   #1
fourbore

How to clean and store mauser sling

I have an Swedish m96 with target aperture sight. I purchased an old 2 piece sling target type leather sling. The leather is worn but solid. The brass parts all have a waxy green muck. I like to clean, (not polish) the brass and then apply something like Mink Oil to the leather.

The questions are how to safety dissolve the green crap off the brass. A lot of that stuff is stuck down between the folds and stitching of the leather. The brass is clean under neath that stuff. I dont want to to experiment with solvents and end up damaging the leather. How to clean that out?

Then best way to restore and preserve the leather. "Best" being the operative word.

Thanks in advance,
Old January 25, 2018, 10:42 PM   #2
burrhead

Brasso for the brass hooks and saddle soap for the leather. I'm not really familiar with mink oil; will it soften the leather?

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old January 26, 2018, 12:04 AM   #3
Scorch

Clean the leather with saddle soap, then mink oil or beeswax to preserve its flexibility. Clean the brass with 0000 steel wool or copper wool. If you use Brasso on the brass hooks, you will probably get some on the leather and the ammonia in the Brasso can rot it.
Old January 26, 2018, 06:58 AM   #4
fourbore

I will get some saddle soap and I have the Mink oil for use on my boots. I may have both. Good deal, thanks.

I do have some product to treat motorcycle seats. I dont know what the stuff is. It seems similar to mink oil. But I will stay traditional and safe.

The brass will clean up with a tooth brush. There is no tarnish. What ever was used on the leather has taken on the consistency of butter and turned green from the copper. The brass under all that is very clean. I am tempted to try some kind of oil to get inside the tightly stitched loops. There is a lot of that buttery green crap packed in the crevices of those loops. I was using a tooth pick and chinese chop stick to poke that out. I was wondering about Mineral Oil, the old time remedy for constipation. Not the paint thinner. While I am not recommendation it it should be taken orally, it is still used for dogs.

Last edited by fourbore; January 26, 2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old January 26, 2018, 07:20 AM   #5
DT Guy

Mink oil will soften the leather; personally, I'd use Lexol for the leather, to condition it without a risk of getting it floppy.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 26, 2018, 11:15 AM   #6
tangolima

I don't like applying oil to leather, except for sofa or jacket, where softness is desired. For sling I use wax. Clear shoe polish or the renaissance wax.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old January 26, 2018, 06:06 PM   #7
fourbore

Now, I am confused. I have Renaissance wax too.

Edit: Ok, I applied Renaissance wax. The sling went from a pleasing old brown to a very dark aged looking color. I dont know if I did the belt any good. I hope I did. It sure looks an extra 50 years older. It also seems like this will be staining my clothes. I tired to rub as much off as I could. The soft side faces the shooter. The gloss side is mostly folded toward the inside. Honestly, I wish I just left it alone.

Last edited by fourbore; January 26, 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old January 26, 2018, 09:20 PM   #8
tangolima

Sorry to hear that. Renaissance wax is clear. It shouldn't darken the color or stain clothings. I used it on slings and holsters. I should have asked you to try it on a small and hidden area first. My apology.

-TL

Old January 26, 2018, 09:42 PM   #9
fourbore

Not a problem. I think any substance would be absorbed into the felt like side.

it is way too cold to shoot outside prone. In a few months it will probably dry out some.
Old January 26, 2018, 10:41 PM   #10
tangolima

I only apply the wax to the smooth side. Wait 20 min or so that wax dries up. There will be a slight haze on the smooth size of the leather. Then I wipe with cloth to polish. It is just like shining a pair of leather shoes. Never have had any problem.

-TL

Old January 27, 2018, 01:16 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

That waxy green muck is copper oxide from the copper in the brass coming out. Cleans with plain vinegar. Down between the folds is cleaned with a soft toothbrush.
Like Scorch says, use saddle soap on the leather then regular shoe polish.
Renaissance wax is just a brand name. Expensive stuff too.
Old January 27, 2018, 09:30 PM   #12
shuvelrider

There is a natural product I have been using on all my leather goods, from holsters, cartridge belts, to the leather scabbard of the bayonet for the Model of 1917 rifle I have. It's called "Leather Lube" and is a moisturizer for leather, not a cleaner of any sort. It has no petroleum byproduct in it, so it will not rot your leather in time. Old leather dries out and some of the "cleaners" will degrade the old fibers of the animal hide, Leather Lube put moisture back in so the leather will loosen up, and remain pliable. I found it in the Miejer store chain, costs around $5 for a container. Let the item set overnight and the product will soak in.