The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 22, 2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Fireman179

I've never competed before....

As the title says I've never competed before. All my shooting experience is hunting and my personal range. I'm ready to try my had at competing. What competitions can I get into with my Remington 700P, it's .308 and stock except for optics. I live in East Tennessee if that matters.
Old June 23, 2014, 04:59 AM   #2
jwrowland77

What I did is started googling F-class competitions in my area. I found several ranges that I was willing to drive that distance, and then I just started competing.

You'll want to take a look at this as well.

http://competitions.nra.org/document...R/hpr-book.pdf

The .308 will fit into either F-Open of FTR. I shoot FTR which is a bipod and rear bag. I shoot once a month in Memphis. I believe it's the 4th Saturday every month.
Old June 23, 2014, 11:14 PM   #3
Fireman179

Thanks for your reply, is FTR hard?
Old June 24, 2014, 05:06 AM   #4
jwrowland77

It's not the easiest, but it sure is a lot of fun. Lol. I love it.
Old June 24, 2014, 08:07 AM   #5
g.willikers

All competition is hard.
If they weren't, there wouldn't be much point to them.
What ever version you choose, you will be shooting with and against folks who have been doing it a long time and are very good.
Just leave your ego at home and go with the idea of making new friends and learning the techniques and skill of the game.
Old June 24, 2014, 01:36 PM   #6
ghbucky01

Quote:
All competition is hard.
What ever version you choose, you will be shooting with and against folks who have been doing it a long time and are very good.
Just leave your ego at home and go with the idea of making new friends and learning the techniques and skill of the game.
Also, expect to see your learning ramp up dramatically. When I started competing my practice sessions took on a whole new level of focus.

I used to think I was a decent shot. Now I am a whole lot better of a shot and KNOW that I suck.
Old June 24, 2014, 01:42 PM   #7
jwrowland77

I've never competed before....

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
All competition is hard.

Amen. Definitely check the ego. I thought I was a decent shot. Lol. I'm military good, hunting good.....competition good brings on a whole new meaning.

There's a lot of guys/gals out there that are really damn good shots.

I've been getting my butt beat off for last year or so, but it has made me a better shooter. I've literally been paying to go learn and get experience and that's it. But now due to taking my lumps, I'm now getting into the mix of what I call great shooters. You'll get beat in the beginning, but you'll see those scores rise and then you'll be in the mix of things like I am now.

Lots of great people, more than willing to help. I mean, who doesn't like to spend the day shooting and talking guns and reloading. Shooting against such stiff competition though will only make you better. I know it's given me something to strive for, given me a goal, and it's made me a better shooter.
Old August 31, 2014, 10:07 PM   #8
Josh_Putman

I have been a competitive bowler, archer, and pool player, and one thing I learned early on was going up against better people will raise your own game.
Basically, if all you compete against are folks you can easily dominate, you will become complacent. You need to push yourself to improve.

In the beginning you get your butt handed to you. It's called paying your dues.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:52 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, is FTR hard?
Without a challenge it's not really competition.

Two truths about competition.

Nobody really cares if you don't shoot well (as long as you aren't unsafe) except you.

Even if you aren't very good at it, and even if you never become the best in your group of competitors, you can still improve a lot and have a lot of fun doing it.