The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2018, 08:16 PM   #26
Mackie244Bud

Howdy,
Welcome to the forum, look around because there are posts after posts with people asking about their "First Gun" or First or Another Concealed gun.
Asking about this gun or that, Calibers, Triggers, Sights etc. etc.
People will respond by throwing out whatever they like and or manufacturer that they prefer.
I believe that most if not everyone in here sincerely cares and means well or I would have left long ago!

Good luck!

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; March 22, 2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:21 PM   #27
WVsig

I will add if you are looking at a Glock 19 get a Gen 5. I was on the other side of this opinion until recently. If you have a Gen 1,2, 3 or 4 keep it and shoot it but if you are buying new get Gen 5.

It is the best soft shooting Glock Gen they have ever made.

Quote:
Its a Glock world and the Gen 5 is the best Glock ever made...
-Ken Hackathorn
Old March 21, 2018, 09:24 PM   #28
tallball

A 22 really is a good first handgun. I have been shooting handguns regularly for over 30 years. My first handgun was a 22. I still do about 1/3 of my handgun shooting with 22's. It's inexpensive and easy and fun. I personally believe that it's perfectly good handgun practice.

Don't ditch revolvers without trying them. I shoot them much better than semi-automatic pistols. Some people shoot one better, some people shoot the other better. A medium-framed 38 or 357 revolver is as good a general-purpose handgun as there is.

For HD defense and range work my favorite 9mm is definitely a CZ75 or clone thereof. I like the Berretta 92 or clone also. Or a 1911 or 1911-style pistol.

For a striker-fired pistol, it really is hard to beat a Glock. I am not a polymer fan nor a striker fan. Glocks never felt right in my hand. But my FiL bought one, and lo and behold I shot it very well. After shooting it multiple times, I just had to buy my own. I have two now, and it will probably be three before long. For me, they are very good-shooting pistols.

Last edited by tallball; March 21, 2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old March 22, 2018, 12:50 AM   #29
Cosmodragoon

I think a full-sized 9mm pistol is fine for starting out. People recommend .22 because it has low recoil and costs less to feed. That's great (outside of ammo crises) but remember that such advice also tends to assume that you'll be buying a 9mm, .40, .45, etc. later. Starting out with the right choice in 9mm means that you'll be training on something that you can use to save your life. That's not to say that .22 LR can't be used for defense but most of us would agree that it's significantly less optimal.

These striker guns will have a simpler trigger for learning purposes. The traditional double action or "DA/SA" guns have more than one mode so it can take a little more training to become proficient. However, not everyone sees it as all that much more work and there are benefits. Having the first shot in double action offers the safety of a longer initial trigger pull for carry guns followed by a single-action pull that can be lighter or more crisp than some of the striker options.

I'm not familiar with the VP9SK but I generally wouldn't recommend a compact gun here. This is a first handgun, a range gun, and possibly a home defense gun. Full size is the way to go. I think either the PPQ or VP9 would be an excellent choice here. I personally prefer the PPQ but not by a landslide. Interestingly, both the VP9 and classic PPQ have the European paddle-style magazine releases. It's a little different but I've really come to appreciate them. I find it more convenient to actuate. Moving in plane with the gun and riding inside a lot of holsters, I also find the paddle release less prone to accidental actuation versus a standard button release.

Whatever you choose, welcome to the forum. I hope we get to see how things turn out.
Old March 22, 2018, 06:42 AM   #30
adamBomb

Sounds like you are on a good path. Training and trying out multiple pistols is very helpful. Since you are new, I would really put everything on the table before eliminating things. For example, you eliminated hammer fired guns, but have you tried them? Do you know how they work/operate compared to a striker fired gun? Learn about that (assuming you haven't) and then eliminate it because you don't like it. If someone says 'you should get A or B' kinda thing I would be hesitant to just blindly listen. You need to learn what you like and don't like and what you are comfortable with. Same can be said for rounds. Have you fired 9mm? What if you fire 380 much better? Or what if you can fire 45 just as well? I guess what I am saying is that I wouldn't be settling on brands just yet. I would be trying out different types of guns and different calibers to see what you want. Otherwise you are going to end up like me buying 10 or so different pistols until you find out what you really like in a gun.

I started just like you, listened to people, and went out and bought a glock 26. I came to realize 1) I was not comfortable carrying a striker fired gun without a manual safety. Too many stories out there from people with tons of training having an accidental discharge because they slipped up one time. I knew I wasn't perfect and these guns are not forgiving 2) I actually liked the idea of a hammer. It has a few advantages that I really like and for some reason when I shot my first hammer fired pistol something just clicked 3) There is no one size fits all when it comes to guns. For example a gun A may be the best thing ever to guy A but the next guy may hate it.
Old March 22, 2018, 10:23 AM   #31
Hal

Quote:
Man I think I am the only person on this board that finds shooting 22LR boring.
Hard to say... . I know a lot of experienced shooters shun the (supposedly)"lowly" .22.
I find it the ultimate challenge though.

I agree with you and the others also about it being a poor choice for a new shooter to buy.

Great learner if you use someone else's /great 2nd or 3rd gun, but, for the same reasons mentioned already, bad for a first gun to buy - - if defense is in the mix.

If you absolutely have to have a .22, by a used semi auto rifle. There market is flooded with Marlin M60's and Marlin/Glenfield M60s for $100 or less.
They make a wonderful "fun gun" you can use to refine trigger skills and sight picture.
Old March 22, 2018, 10:33 AM   #32
doofus47

welcome aboard.

Starting with a 22lr pistol is not a bad choice. Be advised that most semi-auto 22lr pistols are ammo finicky and you might be advised to buy several brands before you find what your pistol likes to shoot best. I've found Armscorp 36gr copper or CCI mini-mag 36gr copper are often more successful.

As for 9mm pistols, I've found my p99as to fit me well (I have small hands) and has been a joy to shoot. If you're in NY, you might want to re-read all of the red tape requirements.
Old March 22, 2018, 12:00 PM   #33
jackstrawIII

Having owned all 4 of the guns you mentioned, I'd recommend either the Walther PPQ...

or a Smith and Wesson M&P9. It's such a good gun, once you've replaced the trigger with an Apex. If you're willing to do that, can't beat the M&P.

For plain factory, go with the PPQ. All day.
Old March 22, 2018, 01:41 PM   #34
SIGSHR

A 22 should be THE first gun, reasons of economy, easier on the arms and shoulders. Boring ? That's a new one to me. Infrequent shooting due to cost of ammo ? Now THAT'S boring.
I learned to shoot a handgun practicing Bullseye with my trusty old High Standard Victor, lately I have been shooting my Browning HP and Colt Mark IV with Ciener Conversion Units, In a factory package I recommend a steel frame full size CZ with their Kadet unit.
Old March 22, 2018, 02:46 PM   #35
Mikeshootny

Thanks everyone!

Cosmodragoon......just curious, what do you like better about the PPQ compared to VP9?

Yes, I live in upstate New York. Ridiculous gun laws, not as bad as within New York City but still ridiculous. I’m familiar with the red tape involved. I have friends that shoot....obviously have pistol permits and a few also have concealed carry licenses. It’s a red tape hassle for sure, particularly the CC license.

I’m able/willing to spend the money necessary on 9mm Ammo in order to shoot frequently enough to become proficient, and as I mentioned before, I am going to utilize professional instruction.

I’m going to the range this weekend and will have an opportunity to shoot a G19, PPQ M2 and full size VP9. Looking forward to it.
Old March 22, 2018, 03:10 PM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

Outstanding. Please keep us posted.
Old March 22, 2018, 07:52 PM   #37
kmw1954

Mike, good luck and enjoy yourself. Take the time to get acquainted with each gun. Take time between shots' don't just go up and blast away.

With new pistols the first few times I shoot them I only load 5 rounds at a time. This makes me slow down. Also helps build familiarity with the gun and how it functions, how well it cycles from empty to full and how the slide locks back on the last round, to dropping the mag for a reload. Basically repeating cycles, slow and relaxed.
Old March 24, 2018, 04:06 AM   #38
Cosmodragoon

These are both excellent guns. As I said, I like the PPQ better but not by a landslide. I'd be happy to have either, in an emergency or on the range. Being a DA/SA guy, I prefer the Walther P99. It has a similar feel to the PPQ M1 but in a novel, striker-fired DA/SA with a flush decocker.

The VP9 has these little tabs at the rear of the slide that do a lot to compliment the slide serrations. It's a surprisingly good idea. The sights will glow in the dark if they've been charged. That's okay but if I want glowing sights, I want them to glow on their own power.

The PPQ feels a little smoother and a little lighter in hand. Both of these guns have good triggers but I like the PPQ a little better. I think the reset is shorter and it might be a little lighter. Comparing the classic or PPQ M1, the paddle release is longer and better protected than on the VP9. I think it gets more out of the paddle-release benefits I mentioned earlier. If you like the PPQ, it makes a nice pair with the compact Walther PPS. Both are available in M1 or M2 models with paddle and button releases respectively.

Living in NY, are you capped at ten rounds? It's a stupid law and obviously does nothing to make anyone even one iota safer. All it does is make headaches for people like us who follow laws. With that kind of headache, I might be more inclined to just use a revolver.
Old March 24, 2018, 09:13 AM   #39
Kilrb

I agree with the PPQ I have one and it is an excellent pistol. I have switched to CZ metal, hammer guns, I really enjoy them much better than the polymer guns.
Old March 24, 2018, 09:19 AM   #40
Mackie244Bud

I spent 3 years in Rochester, NY from 2009 to 2012.
I serviced X-Ray Equipment / X-Ray Rooms traveling from Buffalo to Syracuse and everywhere in between.

I discussed getting a handgun with my fellow workers who had lived there all their lives.
I was told that it was not impossible to get a handgun but could take up to a year..
They told me that without a serialized gun permit I could not even Hold a gun but could only look at it through the glass case or salesman hold it for me.
That once I decided on a gun I would pay for it and then turn in a NY State application for a permit (with Serial number) for that gun.
Until I get a permit for that actual gun it stays at the store.
Then once I was approved for a handgun and I received the permit I could pick up my gun.
Time frame to receive a permit was 6 months to a year and actually could take longer than a year!

I mentioned that I still went back to Florida..Vacations, Holidays etc.
I could buy a handgun in FL and then just bring it back to NY.
This got quite a response from my fellow New Yorkers as in laughing and saying "Are you out of your mind?"
I was told that if I got caught either bringing a gun into NY or later on found with a handgun in NY without a NY State Serialized Permit for it I would go to jail!

Each subsequent handgun purchase goes through the same process with a updated permit listing each gun and Serial number.
I cannot remember if they told me that the process goes quicker for additional handguns and it is just the first initial application that takes the longest.
Then there was my residency in Florida and working in NY status, in the 3 years I never got a NY Drivers license..
Needless to say I did not try to get a handgun in NY.

To the OP is this pretty much correct?

Writing this it really makes me appreciate living in Florida..
With my Concealed Permit it's a simple phone call at the store for a "Background Check" and then I walk out with my handgun..
Even without a Concealed Weapons License it's the Background Check phone call and 3 day wait period.

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; March 24, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old March 24, 2018, 09:27 AM   #41
ammo.crafter

very first, eh?

Cheap ammo= more shooting.

Grip, stance, coordination, sight alignment, target acquisition, etc.

Easier to master with a 22.

Then more on.
Old March 24, 2018, 10:13 AM   #42
Jim Watson

Great, you have had every possible recommendation except "Get a MagNUMB, then nothing else will seem to kick much." (Don't do that.)

The key is to try out everything you can borrow or rent, then make a choice and don't worry about it. Shooting a gun is a learned skill and you can adapt to about anything.
If you don't like it, you can trade for something else, and you won't even have to have a lawyer.
Old March 25, 2018, 09:25 AM   #43
Dan_o

Quote:
They told me that without a serialized gun permit I could not even Hold a gun but could only look at it through the glass case or salesman hold it for me.
That once I decided on a gun I would pay for it and then turn in a NY State application for a permit (with Serial number) for that gun.
Until I get a permit for that actual gun it stays at the store.
Then once I was approved for a handgun and I received the permit I could pick up my gun.
Time frame to receive a permit was 6 months to a year and actually could take longer than a year!

Writing this it really makes me appreciate living in Florida..
With my Concealed Permit it's a simple phone call at the store for a "Background Check" and then I walk out with my handgun..
Even without a Concealed Weapons License it's the Background Check phone call and 3 day wait period.
Not to hijack the thread, but reading that makes me appreciate living in a state where my wait time to purchase a handgun depends mostly on how many people are in line ahead of me at the register.

My last two purchases were at smaller, independent shops and I had to fill out the paper version of the NICS form instead of entering all of my data in a computer. That part actually seemed to go faster. In both cases, I was in & out of the store in maybe 20 minutes.
Old March 25, 2018, 12:51 PM   #44
TxFlyFish

First gun get whichever tickles your fancy just so you won’t have buyers remorse for listening to Internet forums.

Now if you’re up for my biased internet opinion. Get the Glock 19 gen 3 or 4. The PPQ is not a good Walther and the VP9 is not a good HK
Old March 26, 2018, 01:55 AM   #45
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
The PPQ is not a good Walther and the VP9 is not a good HK.
I'm no expert but I can't believe this. The PPQ is a lot like the P99. It shoots well, has a good trigger, and seems both durable and reliable. The VP9 is basically a striker-fired P30 but with a better overall trigger* for hundreds less. What are the specific problems?

* The P30 is normally DA/SA and for that style, the trigger leaves a lot to be desired in a gun that costs that much. For instance, the less expensive Beretta PX4 has a very nice DA/SA trigger. The VP9 is good for what it is, though I like the PPQ a little better in this respect.
Old March 26, 2018, 10:34 PM   #46
Martowski

Most of the polymer framed striker fired 9's have more in common than they are different. I own many of them, and have owned even more.

In the end, they are pretty much all equal in many respects. Just pick the one you like best and shoot best.

While I agree with the merits of a .22, let's face it... if you really want a centerfire then a .22 won't make you happy.

Get what you want, become proficient with it, and enjoy. The only thing I'll say is a 4 inch barrel is pretty versatile and still compact enough to carry for the most part.
Old March 27, 2018, 09:18 AM   #47
Fishbed77

Quote:
The PPQ is not a good Walther
More proof that anyone can say anything on the internet.
Old March 27, 2018, 10:17 AM   #48
JDBerg

I’ve always felt kind of lucky that the first centerfire pistol I’ve ever shot was a Browning Hi Power (and I’m trying to acquire a similar one now, except a MkIII).

The first firearm I ever bought was a 4” Ruger Security Six revolver (and do I wish I still had that one, I’m also trying to find a similar one of those!)

IMHO, the best advice anyone can give you is to get out & shoot everything you can borrow, rent, demo, etc., until you find the one that really works for you. And then don’t ever let go of it. If you can practice & train with one gun, you can learn to shoot it very well. The only thing that counts is having a firearm that you can hit your target with reliably & accurately. Any gun that is more complicated or expensive than what you need is just giving you some bragging rights!

Personally I’d start with something like a S&W Model 19 revolver with some light .38 Special loads, this is a great platform to develop basic shooting skills with. After that, try out everything else that you can get your hands on!
Old March 27, 2018, 10:46 AM   #49
Carl the Floor Walker

BB/Pellet gun then to 22.cal. You can train and train with BB/Pellet gun at home, backyard etc. Start early on Point and Shoting instinctive training. When moving up a 22.cal is a must for a first time shooter. You can use it for years to come. Forget all the nonsense about a super Light trigger. I would even suggest a revolver. Get a LCR22 and then move up to a 38 etc. Shoot a small revolver with a short barrel and you well most likely shoot any gun well.
Train frequent, with moderate workouts. You will NOT get a whole lot of necessary training if you start off with just a 9mm etc. Unless of course you have a lot of money.

Every single time I go to a range which is at least weekly, I bring a 22.cal to continue the fast point and shoot skills. I shoot these before I start with my main carry. Sometimes when I am finished. And trust, they Are not boring. They are fun. And you will be constantly competing with your self.
Old March 27, 2018, 10:53 AM   #50
LBussy

Let me welcome you to the fold and add another recommendation: Sig Sauer P320. It's in the same class as those you've mentioned and a damned fine gun. I have fired all that you have mentioned and I own a P320. If you have an opportunity to fire one as you try out guns, you should.

On the .22 argument: Start with one or end with one but I think everyone should have one. I love shooting mine. We've started playing Cricket at the range (imagine a target that looks like a dart board) and it's really improved my trigger control. Plus it's hella cheap to shoot compared to ... well, compared to anything.