The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 9, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
mitchntx

Two new gun purchases - disappointment!

I sold a trailer I no longer needed and decided to parlay that into a couple gun purchases.

My LGS was putting together a "group buy" on Thompson 1927A1 and was able to get in on it.

Second, I found a Smith Pro-Series 1911 in 9mm on clearance at a chain store.

Stoked and went to the range.

The Smith has serious extraction issues. The spent casing is still in the barrel as it tries load the next. Happens at least once on each of the supplied mags ... sometimes twice.

I have struggled and nursed 350 rounds through this thing and there is no sign of a change. I've run it wet, dry and normal ... The gun and especially the extractor has been thoroughly cleaned and inspected with no sign of an issue.

I guess a call to Smith is in order.

Second ... the Thompson.

What a great looking gun and was giddy to get it.

First 30 rounds sailed through the gun flawlessly. Accurate as hell and reports of a long and heavy trigger are greatly exagerated. Sure it's no Volquartsen, but its no Sigma either.

Next 30 saw the bolt failing to close all the way. How is that possible with the dual massive recoil springs? Grab the bolt again and it would go alittle further and again, it would finaly close.

Three or four rounds later, it would do it again. I was running the recommended round ... 230g ball nose FMJ.

An inspection saw no apparent reason for the binding.

Kahr is no Smith from what I've read.

Disappointment is deep with this one ...

Anyone have any experience with either of these platforms?
Old September 9, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2
'88Scrat

At the risk of asking a stupid question are you sure the Thompson isn't supposed to fire from an open bolt? I know some of the older military issue ones were open bolt and others (M1A1s I think) were fired from a closed bolt.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:32 PM   #3
geetarman

Quote:
The Smith has serious extraction issues. The spent casing is still in the barrel as it tries load the next. Happens at least once on each of the supplied mags ... sometimes twice.
Did you field strip the gun before you took it to the range and clean it?

I do not know about the 9mm version of the Smith 1911E but I DO have a hard learned lesson on the .45 1911E.

I cleaned my gun before I took it to the range and reassembled the gun with the closed end of the recoil spring toward the muzzle. . .just like the manual stated.

It slowed the slide down and the gun would not run. I called the service center in California and they told me the manual was wrong and the closed end of the spring goes toward the trigger and the open end is toward the muzzle.

My gun has not had a failure since.

I do not have the 9mm version, but that is sure where I would start to look.

Good luck.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 10, 2012, 08:11 AM   #4
mitchntx

geetarman -

Thanks for the great info.

Yes, i did take it down and clean it prior to use. The closed (flat) end seemed to fit better on the guide rod, so I did install it onto the guide rod, closed end first.

Scrat -

You mean like a SCAR? Maybe its my rookie description or wording ... the bolt handle pulls back and then slams forward making the gun ready for the next round to fire. The problem is its not slamming forward far enough, leaving about 1/2" gap between the bolt actual handle position and the normal fire position.

Does that make more sense?

The scarey part is when its in that partially open position, I can't tell without looking at the top of the gun. And when I pull the trigger, the hammer drops.