The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 17, 2011, 10:04 PM   #1
THEZACHARIAS

M&P9 STS mount

Couldn't for the life of me decide whether to post this in competition shooting or semi auto, but but at its core its really more of a gunsmith challenge so...

I'm looking at adding an STS to my M&P9 with the ultimate goal of a open-class steel setup, but have had issues in the past finding the dot in a traditional slide mounted set up (lens is too high to see any other reference points, ie barrel, front sight, etc.). With no option for a frame mount and the STS having such nice flat sides, mounting it on its left side would seem to bring the field of view closer to the bore and still have some reference points to help get the dot on target (best option so far seems to be a 90 degree mount, with the horizontal portion machined to fit the rear sight dovetail and the inside/left side of the vertical portion machined to fit the STS base).

Obviously there is some serious machining, spring work and slide weight issues to be addressed along the way, but I'm curious if anyone can punch holes or point out any potential issues regarding the mount itself (both short and long term). I might be deranged, but any insight would be appreciated.

Yes, I know this one is kinda out there. File under "gee whiz questions" if necessary