The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2019, 08:56 PM   #1
MillCreek

Opinions on Ruger American 9 mm pistol?

I did a search here and did not find very much on the Ruger American 9 mm pistol. If anyone has an opinion on it as a nightstand/HD/maybe carried pistol, please share your insights. I am also pondering the differences between the American and the SR9.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old November 7, 2019, 01:28 AM   #2
Mosin44az

I had the .45 Compact, but sold it quickly because recoil was disappointingly stout despite its weight, due in part to the awkward squared off angles around the grip tang where the web of my hand contacted it. A 9mm of course would be more comfortable in recoil.

I remember reliability being OK, but aside from the recoil it generally left me with the impression of being bulky and clunky compared to the competition. I don’t miss it at all, really hadn’t even thought about it in a couple of years, until I saw your question.

There was a professional gun writer posting on this site, Dennis Prisbey ( unfortunately passed away this year?) who liked the American and wrote that it represented an advance over the older SR series. You might search for his posts (Dpris was his posting name ) to see his comments.

I also owned two SRs, a .40 Compact and a .45, but sold off both because of insufficient reliability. I like the looks and the feel of the slimmer SR9 and have toyed with getting one despite my experience. I recall Prisbey being of the impression that the American was a more robust, heavy duty design than the SR, which it seemed he didn’t think was fully developed. Alot of posters on here are happy with their SR9s, including the Compacts which would be better for carry but also have a light rail and take bigger mags for an HD role.
Old November 8, 2019, 03:39 AM   #3
TruthTellers

My opinion is I listen to what others who have owned them had to say about them and I look to see what the used prices are and even at $300 used, they're not being bought. Of all the full size pistols out there, the Ruger American seems to get a lot of negative remarks on the grip and it being uncomfortable when shooting.

If it were a small compact and people were complaining about the grip comfort, I'd say that's the trade off of a small gun, but these Americans are not small guns and IMO, there's no excuse for how many people have issues with the grip causing discomfort during firing.

Brand new they cost $400+ and for that price or less, you can get really good pistols that will last you a long time and be more comfortable to shoot.

I also don't know how long these American pistols will be around given the lack of popularity and interest and I think others are wondering the same and are hesitant to buy them given Ruger has a history of dumping old pistol designs for new ones.

It's hard to believe, but it seems the P series has been Ruger's most successful full size line given people are still interested in buying those.
Old November 8, 2019, 09:26 AM   #4
Armybrat

The SR9 is a much better option IMO.
Lighter and ergonomically superior. A very easy gun to shoot in 9mm & .45.
Plus they are currently running about $280-$320 everywhere online.

Great buy for a well made reliable pistol. Very accurate too.
Old November 8, 2019, 07:23 PM   #5
Bart Noir

I had the compact in 9mm, but didn't like it enough to keep it. There are so many choices!

It was strongly built and I liked shooting it. But the shape of the frame made use of the thumb safety a bit slow and awkward. Of course, there is a version without the thumb safety.

Bart Noir
Old November 8, 2019, 07:44 PM   #6
Forte S+W

Personally, I prefer the SR Series.

I was actually planning on getting an SR40c until I happened upon a cheap SW40VE.
Old November 8, 2019, 09:30 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

A new budget line shouldn't be thought of less than the cheaper former line it replaced (RAP vs SR).

In this thread, you have 3 people saying the SR is better than the RAP which replaced it.
Old November 8, 2019, 10:03 PM   #8
BillW

I have both full size Ruger Americans 45 and 9mm, and both compacts in the same calibers. When Ruger issued a notice to check the 9mm barrels for cracks at some round count, I put all four back in the boxes and switched to Colt Light Weight Commanders in 38 Super and never looked back. If there is an issue with a particular model fix it, don't say watch out as something might happen.

I haven't done anything with all four pistols because I don't know how much money I am willing to lose.