The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 15, 2019, 11:20 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

Which Holosun for pistol build?

Looking at getting a new optic for a pistol build in the works. It is a 5.56 in 12.5. Ive been doing a lot of research on the Holosuns, and I know they are nothing new but seem to be really great in performance vs. price. The build isn't going to be for duty or home defense so much but for range fun, but reliability would be good too. Therefore, I dont really think I need an Aimpoint/Eotech/Trijicon atm.

I believe I have narrowed it down between the HE503GU-GR Elite or the HE510 C GR. Digging the green reticle which is why it is between those two. Wondering about maybe adding a magnifier down the road too. Anyone have tried both and have any suggestions? The 510 has 3 different reticle options and 503 only 2, with a larger viewing window. Not really sure I need the solar panels of the 510, plus the simplicity of battery changing of the 503 is a pro too. If I did go with the 503 I know I would probably add a better qd t1 style micro mount, probably an American Defense.

Black Friday will be right around the corner so was preparing myself so I can possibly snag one at a good deal. Thanks for any consideration.
Old November 16, 2019, 02:56 AM   #2
bfoosh006

I have a 503GU, bought it on sale at Primary Arms.. so keep an eye there as well.

With its round glass ... the view through a magnifier is much better.

I have been plenty happy with the HE503GU-GR Elite.

And while I haven't tried the other option... I do have numerous Burris FastFire III's and with a magnifier the protective ears on the FF III ruin the view.

I would recommend buying the Holosun magnifier and mount... ( the Primary Arms QD mount is not properly centered on the same centerline axis. it is just slightly low)
Old November 16, 2019, 07:29 AM   #3
imashooter

I have the 503C on a carbine and 510C reflex. Both are very good imo. No magnifier for either. I prefer the large reflex I have on a pistol. Very fast acquisition.