The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2019, 03:08 AM   #1
Big Caliber

45 auto dies for 45 Auto RIM cartridge

Assuming I can find the brass and shell holders, is it possible to load the 45 Auto Rim case using 45 acp dies, making height adjustments as necessary? And no, I'm not going to buy moon clips or 1/2 moon clips and just use 45acp ammo. Thanks.
Old October 17, 2019, 03:35 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

The .45 Auto Rim is loaded in standard .45 ACP dies. The only thing you need is the shell holder for the Auto Rim brass, and the brass itself.

Some old .45acp seater dies have a roll crimp. If yours does, its fine to use it with the Auto Rim brass. If not, the taper crimp common today will also do just fine.

There is no "height adjustment" .45Auto Rim brass is dimensionally the same as .45ACP, other than the thick rim, which is meant to replace the half moon clips in Colt and S&W 1917 revolvers. It usually works in other .45 ACP revolvers that are made to use half moon clips, though its not a guarantee. I have a converted Webley and Auto Rim brass rims are just a few thousandths too thick to work in that particular gun.

.45 Auto Rim will not work in a Single Action revolver (such as the Ruger Blackhawk).
Old October 17, 2019, 07:24 AM   #3
USSR

As 44 AMP said, you use standard .45 ACP dies. However, I would add one more thing that you need besides the shell holder. Since the .45 ACP uses a taper crimp and .45 ACP die sets come with a taper crimp seating die, you really should get a .45 ACP roll crimp seating die. Fortunately, RCBS sells one and it is RCBS # 18942. Hope that helps.

Don
Old October 17, 2019, 01:29 PM   #4
zeke

If wanting firm crimp on a cannelured bullet in 45 AR, might consider Redding's profile crimp die. You can adjust these for 2 differing styles of crimp. Starline makes excellent/affordable 45 ar brass, for my purposes much better than Rem's.

As previously stated,45 auto brass doesn't work in the Ruger SA's unless the cylinder is modified.
Old October 17, 2019, 06:30 PM   #5
reddog81

I wouldn’t worry about a roll crimp die for either ACP or auto rim cases. I’ve shoot many reloaded rounds in 1917’s, a charter arms pitbull and my 325 PD and never ran into any issues with bullets jumping crimp. The 325 PD weighs in at 21 ounces and if any gun we’re going to have a problem it would be that one.

One of the benefits of shooting a 45 ACP revolver is that it uses the exact same ammo and moonclips make ejecting and reloading ammo at the range a breeze. I usually bring 20 loaded moonclips to the range think of them as “cheap magazines”. I’ve got a few auto rim cases but don’t ever use them because honestly they are more of a hassle.
Old October 17, 2019, 09:56 PM   #6
USSR

reddog81,

The roll crimp is for the auto rim cases that you don't use, not your .45 ACP cases with moon clips. Also, if I may suggest, use the 238 gr Lyman/Ideal 452423 SWC which was the 2nd bullet that Elmer Keith designed 90 years ago and was designed specifically for the .45AR. The bullet has a crimp groove, hence the need for a roll crimp. I cast this bullet typically as a hollowpoint (bullet on left in pic).

Don
Old October 17, 2019, 11:04 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The bullet has a crimp groove, hence the need for a roll crimp.
I'd suggest that a .45 bullet in an Auto Rim doesn't need a roll crimp. The taper will do fine. The crimp groove is there for those who want to use it, there's no need, just the ability, if desired.

The crimp groove is useful if loading the bullet in .45 Colt cases.
Old October 18, 2019, 08:49 AM   #8
Ben Dover

Lyman 454424 has always worked well for me. With a medium/heavy crimp.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old October 18, 2019, 10:16 AM   #9
jag2

When I bought my S&W model 25 he threw in around 100 pieces of brass and about a dozen moon clips. I fully intended to load the AR brass, tried the moon clips and never looked back. Like your parents said, "try it you might like it". You will need to buy a tool to load them in the moons but I always like a new tool to play with.
Old October 18, 2019, 10:51 AM   #10
USSR

Quote:
I'd suggest that a .45 bullet in an Auto Rim doesn't need a roll crimp. The taper will do fine. The crimp groove is there for those who want to use it, there's no need, just the ability, if desired.
Elmer would be rolling over in his grave.

Don
Old October 18, 2019, 10:45 PM   #11
Big Caliber

Thank you ALL for your replies and support. Happy plinking!
Old October 28, 2019, 01:15 AM   #12
Archie

Your question has been answered. (And agrees with my experience.) So I'll give you this: I'm not sure what you plan on doing with your .45 AR, but I find the 255 grain SWC lead bullets for .45 Colt work quite well. So do the standard 230 grain RNL bullets. And I use Power Pistol powder, since it's a revolver.

Much good fortune.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old October 30, 2019, 06:45 PM   #13
Mr.RevolverGuy

I think you got all your answers you can see what I think about 45AR here in 5 different 45 revolvers http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=4415