The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 4, 2019, 07:33 PM   #1
TXAZ

Popular (department selected) Police handguns

For department selected sidearms, Glocks are relatively inexpensive compared to other handguns, and often 'low price wins' in department selections.

When it comes to guns the officers on the street carry, the article below indicates Glock 19, 22 S&W M&P 9, Beretta 92, Sig P226, H&K45, LC9, Colt M1911 are the most popular.

My question is if the cost and politics of a department buy weren't an issue, what gun would the beat cops pick?

Popular Police handguns

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 4, 2019, 08:09 PM   #2
JSG81

I can’t answer from a police perspective as I have never been one. From a normal guy perspective, the M&P fit my hand better so that is what I settled on.

I take nothing away from the performance of Glock guns but the grip angle and block feel of the grip made me sell mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 4, 2019, 08:17 PM   #3
dyl

I was shooting next to an acquaintance who was a policeman. He showed me his favorite weapon, either a Sig p229 or 226, I couldn't tell from my angle. But you know how 40 caliber pistols are cheap these days because some PD's are transitioning away? He snatched up a Sig in 40 cal for $400-some and has thoroughly enjoyed it.

I suspect since every policeman is different, they would hypothetically choose a variety of equipment. Influenced by their police academy instructors, friends, or even their grandpa when they were just learning how to shoot.

I won't say I was strongly influenced to get a Sig P226 in 9mm because of shooting next to that officer. But I do have one now for some reason .

I also spoke to a city policeman last year who let on that the department was transition from the HKP30 to a Sig P320. He seemed excited. I was confused because in my mind, from a dollars perspective, that *should* be a downgrade.
Old October 4, 2019, 08:27 PM   #4
JERRYS.

probably Glock since its the most familiar gun used. I know a few that can choose their own duty gun if they guy it. most chose either a Sig something or a 1911 or other. most of them have come back to Glock for a full sized duty gun worn openly.
Old October 4, 2019, 09:15 PM   #5
Rangers13

I carried a Glock for my whole career and never once had an issue with it. Qualifications were fine with it and never had a malfunction and never heard about a malfunction within my department. I loved it and have several that I enjoy. I do like the Berreta 92 and own a 92G. Can’t wait for the 92X to be available.
Old October 5, 2019, 03:39 AM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
My question is if the cost and politics of a department buy weren't an issue, what gun would the beat cops pick?
Beyond politics and money, it would still be the Glock or M&P most of the time. Holsters and other duty gear like magazines and mag carriers are simply more accessible for those guns. Most officers will have trained with those pistols, and armorers will have a larger pool of parts.

I'm surprised to see the 1911 on that list, as I can't recall seeing an LEO carrying one of those in decades.
Old October 5, 2019, 03:56 AM   #7
TruthTellers

One that I don't hear much in regards to LE departments using is Springfield. I would think a pistol with a grip safety would interest people that have to carry a gun every day and also they have the notice telling the police where the grip zone is.
Old October 5, 2019, 12:01 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Worst article to reference in TFL history....

Quote:
TXAZ .....When it comes to guns the officers on the street carry, the article below indicates Glock 19, 22 S&W M&P 9, Beretta 92, Sig P226, H&K45, LC9, Colt M1911 are the most popular.
That's not an article, it's clickbait.
Articles have authors and that one doesn't, maybe because its awful. Awful as in virtual zero research and waist deep in plain 'ol stupid.

How do I know that "article" is 100% bunk?
They listed as "most popular" the HK45 and the Ruger LC9 as among the most popular.

While the HK45 is a fine service type pistol, it's pretty darn expensive. And expensive doesn't make a service pistol popular. I know of no LE agency that issues the Ruger LC9.

Further, a quick read of that article has these gems:
Regarding the Glock 19 vs the G17:
"....It was made to be a toned-down version of the Glock 17. Officers wanted a smaller Glock that was easier to conceal. The Glock company responded by making the Glock 19 about four inches smaller on the barrel and about 7 inches shorter in total......The best part is they achieved this while keeping the magazine at 15 rounds.."

Regarding the Glock 22:
".....most officers prefer the Glock 22. A big reason for this is that it has the capability to shoot both 9mm and .40 caliber ammunition...."

Regarding the HK45:
"...The accessory rail allows offers to add laser sights and silencers. ....

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 5, 2019, 12:13 PM   #9
jmr40

I question the validity of the article. I've never seen of a cop being issued a Ruger LC-9 and 1911's have been off limits among the vast majority of LE agencies for 30+ years. They are allowed in some cases by some highly trained units like some SWAT members.

Glocks simply work. Our local county PD went to G22's in 1994. At the time there was a lot of resistance among older guys. Prior to 1994 officers furnished their own guns and could use anything they could qualify with. Today some of the guys who resisted the hardest would fight you if you tried to take away their Glocks.

Winston Churchill
Old October 5, 2019, 04:53 PM   #10
burrhead

I'm not a Peace Officer but because of my job I'm in contact with my county's sheriff dept. on a constant basis. The officers provide their own weapons. The Sheriff and some of the old timers (I include myself in that description) carry 1911s and pretty much everyone else carries some sort of a full size Glock. I daily carry a G19.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old October 5, 2019, 07:24 PM   #11
MTT TL

Our local sheriff's department is instructive. I think there are around 20 deputies who work there but I don't know for sure.

The sheriff decided years ago that 1911s were the way to roll but the state is not fond of 1911's and thinks that they are not drop safe and won't allow them at the state academy. Therefore when the deputies go to the academy they can take whatever they want in a full size automatic, other than a 1911 or some other prohibited guns. I don't know exactly what is prohibited but it is a short list. When they get back from the academy they can either switch to the 1911 or keep what they used at the academy.

The sheriff also hates the .40S&W. Several years ago they shot a tweeker 11+ times with a .40 S&W and the suspect still had some fight in him. So 40s are out. I have seen about dozen different deputies over the years and about 1/3 of them carry the issued 1911s, about 1/3 carry some kind of Glock and the rest carry something else. Practically all the rest of the guns are some kind of polymer based 9mm or 45ACP. There was one guy who carried an M92 Style Berretta but he was the only one who went full metal, non-1911 that I have seen. I think he was previously in the military.

So I guess of the 2/3 group that went away from the 1911 about half are Glocks and half are some kind of other polymer gun in 9mm or 45 ACP, with one oddball, taking in to consideration they are not allowed to carry revolvers or anything on the prohibited list.
Old October 6, 2019, 01:22 AM   #12
armoredman

Our Dept went with Glock for reputation and price. I know what we paid several years ago for our 19s, and if you could get that price, you'd buy three of them. No, I ca't tell you what it was, but you would pay more for a Ruger EC9S nowadays.
If I had my druthers? CZ P-10F for duty rig, and P-10C for off duty, (which is my off duty rig), but nobody asked me.

Edit to add - last officer I saw carrying a 1911 was South Tucson PD, about 20 years ago.
Old October 6, 2019, 07:37 AM   #13
MTT TL

Quote:
Edit to add - last officer I saw carrying a 1911 was South Tucson PD, about 20 years ago.
They are definitely out of fashion around the country. Every time I see one of the deputies carrying one with five spare eight round magazines I chuckle thinking that they still don't have enough bullets on them to do the state qualification with.
Old October 6, 2019, 08:08 AM   #14
TXAZ

I saw 2 Plano (suburban Dallas) motorcycle officers with *nice* 1911’s earlier this year. They indicated their department allows them to pick their own weapon after a probation period.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 6, 2019, 10:07 AM   #15
Brit

My Son owns a Security Company. We both carried Glock 19s. I am mostly retired now, ship the odd vehicle in for repair, that kind of stuff.

The good thing about duty carry, Police or Security, you can carry the Glock 19, 15+1, but the 17 round magazine fits the G19 as well. So with a couple of 17 round spare mags gives you a total of 50 rounds, enough for a battle!

And I carried the Glock 19 as a CCW pistol. For years. Early this year, I fell in love with the Glock 43X the brushed nickel version, 10 plus 1 capacity! And of course a spare 10 in the second magazine on the belt.

Much lighter slimmer version. Is 11 rounds enough? Who knows. Came as ordered with the Ameriglow night sights, love them.

Last edited by Brit; October 6, 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old October 7, 2019, 09:36 AM   #16
deadcoyote

It’s really a personal choice. I’ve heard guys complain they’d want a 1911 if it was their choice, also a lot of guys like Glock but complained they’d rather carry a 9 or a .45 instead of a .40.

Before I hung it up I did a purchase with Glock and it was incredibly cheap. We traded in super shot out 6906’s and Glock has us mail in a handful of our guns so they could assess average condition. The final deal was they’d go 1 for 1 with us for each 6906 and $141.
Old October 7, 2019, 09:44 AM   #17
Catchabullet

Some departments allow their officers to carry whatever they would like, long as they qualify with every gun they might carry for duty. On that note,I’ve met quite a few who carry 1911s.... a couple detectives and some older officers.
Old October 7, 2019, 12:50 PM   #18

I'm already carrying it. G17.
Old October 7, 2019, 01:46 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

Probably a Glock since it's the lightest weight pistol possible. And that'd be if they even thought about it. Most wouldn't know a Glock from a Smock either.
Most cops are not recreational shooters(neither is the Army.) and never saw a real firearm before getting hired. Most see their issue piece as a heavy piece of kit they're required to lug around but rarely, if ever, actually use. Even for practice. The days of cops being 'gun people' are long gone.
"...would interest people that have to carry a gun every day..." Very few pistols have ever had a grip safety. However, Springfield's are too expensive and SA Inc. has not chased PD contracts. Glock has.
Old October 7, 2019, 03:45 PM   #20
MTT TL

Quote:
Probably a Glock since it's the lightest weight pistol possible.
M&P 9 2.0 is lighter.

Quote:
Most wouldn't know a Glock from a Smock either.
Most cops are not recreational shooters(neither is the Army.) and never saw a real firearm before getting hired. Most see their issue piece as a heavy piece of kit they're required to lug around but rarely, if ever, actually use. Even for practice. The days of cops being 'gun people' are long gone.
Please cite a source for your biased ("most") opinions of Soldiers and police officers, unless of course they are personal opinions of questionable validity. In which case, no need.
Old October 7, 2019, 06:31 PM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
In days gone by, the NJSP selected HK P7s...............a fine handgun by anyone's standards
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 8, 2019, 06:49 AM   #22
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL View Post
M&P 9 2.0 is lighter.

Please cite a source for your biased ("most") opinions of Soldiers and police officers, unless of course they are personal opinions of questionable validity. In which case, no need.
24.7oz vs 24.87oz.... G19 IS lighter than the M&P as is G45...

Had a nice conversation with a Boulder County Deputy the other day..know 2 guys on Boulder PD..and they are without doubt, 'gun people'...Knew more than a few guys in the military, USA, USMC, even USN..and they were definately 'gun people'..anecdotal, small sample but.....

"Tools not Trophies”
Old October 8, 2019, 07:15 AM   #23
MTT TL

Quote:
The Glock 17, which is the more commonly issued pistol, is 705 Grams vs 700 for the M&P9 (and 680 for the G19).
Old October 8, 2019, 02:58 PM   #24
dogtown tom

Quote:
Quote:
MTT TL
Quote:
Quote:
The Glock 17, which is the more commonly issued pistol, is 705 Grams vs 700 for the M&P9 (and 680 for the G19).
Five whole grams?
Must be the longer barrel and slide making the G17 so much heavier than the M&P.

I would bet there are more G19's issued by LE agencies than M&P's.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 8, 2019, 03:17 PM   #25
rock185

I worked a large department, and later a much smaller one. Big or small department, there is some small percentage of officers who are "gun guys". Most officers just don't care about guns beyond mandatory training and qualifying, and would undoubtedly pick the lowest common denominator pistol. Now days, some kind of light polymer pistol, that holds a lot of ammunition, would be the pistol of choice for most IMHO.