The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Rem1187

Help with Gen 3 Glock 29 malfunctions

10mm Glock Enthusiasts please give me a hand. My Gen 3 Glock 29 is jamming (per the pics) whenever I shoot buffalo bore or underwood hardcasts. It is not jamming with every round but at least with 2-3 rounds per 10 round mag. It shoots fine with all other FMJ and JHP ammo I have tried. Initially I thought that I need to get the 21lb wolff spring and guide rod to ensure functioning with the heavy hard cast loads but this has not solved the problem, I also know that I am not limp wristing.

Greatly appreciate any thoughts you may have. The gun shoots all other ammo well but I am very disappointed as this was supposed to be my woods carry gun. Should I go with a heavier spring?

Thank you for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf glock 29 jam 1.pdf (1,001.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf glock 29 jam 2.pdf (423.8 KB, 41 views)
Old November 5, 2019, 01:39 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Can you post a picture of the gun from the top, looking down into the ejection port with the slide locked open?

Just need to verify that the ejector is in place and looks ok.

What's going on with the jam is that the empty isn't ejecting properly. The next round in the magazine is pushing the case up enough under the force of the magazine spring when the slide cycles that it won't chamber again when the slide comes back forward.

By the way, here are the attachments from the OP's post for those who don't want to open a pdf.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg G29Jam1.jpg (185.5 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg G29Jam2.jpg (52.4 KB, 428 views)
Old November 6, 2019, 11:00 PM   #3
Rem1187

Thank you for taking a look. Here is the pic you requested. Ejector looks fine to me, as I mentioned it works great with all other ammo.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf glock 29 3.pdf (280.9 KB, 32 views)
Old November 6, 2019, 11:20 PM   #4
tangolima

Is the cast bullet cartridges loaded significantly lighter than the jacketed bullet rounds?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old November 6, 2019, 11:23 PM   #5
Rem1187

No they are heavier than the standard fmj and jhp bullets
Old November 7, 2019, 12:54 AM   #6
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem1187 View Post
No they are heavier than the standard fmj and jhp bullets
I didn't mean the bullet weight, but the recoil force it generates. Does the cast bullet cartridge kick much less?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old November 7, 2019, 01:15 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Here's the OP's last pic.

I was kind of hoping the ejector might be broken or missing, but it looks fine.

So that makes this very puzzling. I can't understand what's causing that shell to climb the breechface high enough to avoid the ejector.

Some questions:

1. When you get one of these jams, can you see anything unusual going on with the next round in the magazine?

2. With the gun fieldstripped, check the ejector to see if it is loose or if it wiggles. It shouldn't move around at all.

3. Do you ever see this jam on the last round of the magazine?

If you want to run some tests, it would be interesting to see what happens when you fire the gun without the magazine in place. In other words, chamber a round, remove the mag and then fire the gun. Repeat until you either get a jam or you're satisfied it's not going to jam. If it won't jam, that suggests that the jams are related to interaction between the next round in the mag and the empty case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G29_Jam_3.jpg (43.3 KB, 386 views)
Old November 8, 2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Willie Lowman

Sounds to me like you need to stick with jacketed ammo.

I know I am no help.
Old November 8, 2019, 10:40 AM   #9
precision_shooter

Looks/sounds like slide is cycling too fast imo. Next round attempting to be stripped from mag, pushing empty case up and out of the ejector before it has time to eject, then slide coming forward catching the empty case between breech face and barrel, thus causing the jam.

Heavier recoil spring for the hotter ammo should fix the issue I think. Underwood and Buffalo Bore are loaded “hot” compared to most all other off the shelf ammo.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 16, 2019, 05:45 PM   #10
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter View Post
Looks/sounds like slide is cycling too fast imo. Next round attempting to be stripped from mag, pushing empty case up and out of the ejector before it has time to eject, then slide coming forward catching the empty case between breech face and barrel, thus causing the jam.

Heavier recoil spring for the hotter ammo should fix the issue I think. Underwood and Buffalo Bore are loaded “hot” compared to most all other off the shelf ammo.
Maybe try a heavier spring in the ammo mag? It could be that yours is worn out.

I had a similar problem firing 45 Super out of a Glock 21 on which I installed a heavier recoil spring. I had to install a heavier magazine spring and that cured the issue.

With those hot loads, some people recommend putting 2 springs in the magazine, but just puchasing a heavier one from Wolff might do the trick (cheaply).
Old November 25, 2019, 06:04 PM   #11
the duck of death

"QUOTE"
Maybe try a heavier spring in the ammo mag?

I use Wolff +10% mag springs, load is 14.5gr #9/180 cast in a G29. Hot load--8K thru a G29.
Old November 26, 2019, 06:01 AM   #12
grimlock361

I use a 22lb spring with a tungsten rod. https://www.glockstore.com/Tungsten-...ecoil-Spring_3 but would use heavier if I could find it.

Be careful shooting the hot stuff out of a gen 3. The early gen 3 had crappy chamber support and prone to lead fouling from unjacketed bullets. Hard to tell but the brass looks a little buldged in the 2nd pic. If you have been feeding it a steady diet of the hotter stuff with the factory recoil spring you may have caused some premature wear on the ejector.

Last edited by grimlock361; November 26, 2019 at 06:48 AM.