The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 16, 2019, 08:25 PM   #26
Forte S+W

Between my family and I there are a total of 5 Taurus brand firearms in my household, I've never had any issues with any of them.

I've said it before and I'll say it as many times as the subject is raised, the issue with Taurus isn't lack of quality or reliability, but rather terrible Customer Service, which in turn has resulted in the illusion that a lack of overall quality/reliability is the issue due to the sheer amount of negative feedback from those who got a lemon and had to deal with Taurus' inept CS Representatives and couldn't reach a positive conclusion.
In reality, Taurus has no worse overall quality control than Ruger, but unlike Taurus, Ruger actually has very good Customer Service, ergo those who get a lemon tend to get the issue sorted out promptly, thus leaving them with a much more positive opinion of the company.

It also doesn't help matters that many folks have a bad habit of making Taurus' reputation for lack of reliability something of a self-fulfilled prophesy when they go in so expecting the firearm to fail that any hiccups they experience during their first trip out to the range get immediately self-diagnosed as symptoms of a much bigger problem when in reality the gun just needs broken in. (And before anyone says, "My Smith ain't need no break-in!" Your Smith & Wesson probably cost you 2x the amount of a Taurus.)
In addition, I've seen a lot of folks in videos online who really seem to neglect their Taurus firearms, handling them with far less care than they do their other firearms, and thus likely neglecting them even furthermore behind the scenes. You can't expect a firearm that you neglect, handle carelessly, and do not clean/lube on a regular basis to maintain perfect function/reliability.
Old October 17, 2019, 06:19 AM   #27
jetinteriorguy

I've only had one experience with Taurus warranty/service and am mostly happy with it. I had a Rossi that's part of the safety recall that was also malfunctioning and needed additional repairs. Now, I'm sure they are dealing with a pretty fair amount of guns for the recall so I don't expect super prompt service. I sent the gun in about a month ago, yesterday I got a call and they said they can't fix the Rossi, which is kind of what I expected. So they offered me a brand new Taurus 605 instead. Now, in this case I was hoping for something more like a store credit versus this is what you get, take it or leave it. I was a little disappointed, but as I thought about it I could have come out a lot worse all things considered. So for me in this situation, while not thrilled with the outcome I would say Taurus has done ok for service. I feel given all the circumstances of my situation they've done a perfectly fine job and have at least met my expectations of reasonable service. And the people I've dealt with on the phone have been pleasant and have taken care of things just fine. Just my limited experience.