The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2019, 07:23 PM   #1
bamaranger

Skinner sight on CVA .32????

I am considering mounting a Skinner "Lo-Pro" rear aperture on my CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle. The plan would be to drill and tap the flat on the tang where the hooked breech slips in. The sight then would thread into the hole.

It can be done,.......... my question is, has any body tried this combo....specifically, is there sufficient elevation adjustment on the tidy little Skinner aperture, to get me on target without having to deal with the front sight, either by filing or replacement. Windage is dealt with by drifting the front, I get that.

The Skinner is a nifty little sight that would look right on the .32, and not require a bunch of cobbling on my part with homemade arrangements..........if I can get on target elevation wise by not having to replace or file up front.

Anybody tried this........all comments welcome.
Old August 26, 2019, 10:38 PM   #2
bamaranger

T/C Renegade too!

Well, I'm going to take some measurements and give Skinner a call and see what they say. Additionally, I am inclined to give the arrangement (Lo-Pro) a try on the T/C Renegade as well. I also had the revelation that a simple riser from square stock could easily be fashioned from to fit the tang to raise the Skinner if there is not sufficient elevation on either rifle.

On the Renegade, my rifle has a blade (not bead) front, and filing /drifting for correction up front should not be an issue. I also have a spare blade front if I goober up the T/C.

I'll keep y'all posed.
Old August 29, 2019, 01:27 AM   #3
bamaranger

last call

Skinner website states that the "Lo-Pro" model sets .275" above it's mounting surface, with some adjustment remaining, I expect that means both elevation and depression.

I can now measure my front sight height on both rifles (.32 and the Renegade) and see if I am anywhere near close.

Parting shot from me on this topic. Anybody considering a tidy peep for their traditional BP/ML rifle might want to look at the Skinner Lo-Pro.
Old September 21, 2019, 05:56 PM   #4
Catman42

ive used skinner sights on several custom sidelocks ive built for people. you will love that sight.