The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 8, 2020, 08:29 PM   #76
Eddiejoe

I was just at one today picking up an FFL transfer. I looked over their cases. Of maybe 30 guns, 5 were revolvers - all used. Of the rest, there were a couple P365s, a new P320 with the laser built in to the frame, an FN, and some Springfield XD models. I couldn't tell the others just by looking at them.

Later this afternoon, I went to Cabela's. I couldn't get near the gun counter even to look at what they had left. They cordoned off the whole section. You had to get a number when you walked in the store if you knew you wanted to buy a gun. No impulse buying allowed here! Their used case and the collectible room were pretty bare, although they did have about 15 Smith M&P .45 police trade-ins ranging from $429 to $459.
Old August 8, 2020, 10:58 PM   #77
allenomics

Cowboy-like revolvers are plentiful. It's like the vegan section in the grocery store before a hurricane hits - fully intact.
Old August 11, 2020, 10:54 PM   #78
SwissArmyTenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
And I hope the guy who buys the .38 special blanks pays attention and knows what he's getting.
I've seen these and thought the same thing, haha.
Old August 12, 2020, 07:09 AM   #79
Snuffy308

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenomics View Post
Cowboy-like revolvers are plentiful. It's like the vegan section in the grocery store before a hurricane hits - fully intact.
Now that's funny
Old August 20, 2020, 03:36 AM   #80
ftttu

For the last few months, the Academys, the Cabela's and the locals have had bare display cases and shelves. Seeing this and with this uncertain election, I still sold a pistol and then purchased a pistol at a gun show this past weekend. I knew I could get the pistol cheaper if I would have waited, but I've only seen what I wanted, a Sig P365 XL, right at the outset of the pandemic and rioting and not any since.

Earlier today, I was on an ammo safari, stopping at a couple of LGSs, an Academy and a Cabela's. Cabela's had very few handguns, but more than they had about a week before when I was there last AND they had the Hornady SST 123 gr 6.5 Grendel, which I didn't even know they carried since I checked online a few months back. Still, no 9mm at any of the stores.

I then go up to GT Distributors in Austin, TX where they had about 50 boxes of Blazer aluminum 115 gr for less than $14. Similar ammo was going for $32-$36 per box at that gun show the week before. Well, the limit was two boxes of 'training' ammo so I picked up a couple of boxes. I drove about a 100 miles on my safari, but at least I got WHAT I needed WHEN I needed it, just like purchasing that P365 XL at the gun show...by the way, they had full display cases to my surprise. An of course, they had a P365 XL with a LE price for about $120 less than i paid.UGH!!! Again, I knew I could get one eventually and at a cheaper price, but me being me and all...

I'm guessing GT Distributors, since they provide for LE, are well-stocked. Just for your information, guys/gals.
Old August 25, 2020, 12:33 PM   #81
Average Joe

All display cases are empty, yep, even the display models are gone. The only thing left is large revolvers and the expensive stainless models.
Old August 25, 2020, 04:51 PM   #82
Kevin Rohrer

All the lower-priced 9mm and .380s are gone. What's left are the higher-priced stuff and .22s.

And all the common ammo is gone, too.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old August 26, 2020, 07:20 AM   #83
ghbucky

I have a local 'Shoot Point Blank' gun store/indoor range in Florence, KY that has dozens of 9mm handguns in stock. FN, Glock, CZ, Springfield, Ruger, S&W and another brand I can't recall. Lowest price I saw was ~$450.

This was yesterday.

Also some .45 and a couple of display cases of .380
Old August 26, 2020, 11:11 AM   #84
me1911

"[I was in Brownells store yesterday and they had just about anything you might want.]"

It's possible they aren't advertising what they have in stock because they don't need to. Things are flying out the door before they can list it on their website. Stuff that they usually carry is listed, but it says on the website (if you check their individual listings) almost everything they list is out of stock. Especially handguns. Maybe their website isn't telling the whole story? I wonder if it's the same with Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's? Just speculation on my part.
Old August 26, 2020, 11:13 AM   #85
ghbucky

Quote:
Maybe their website isn't telling the whole story? I wonder if it's the same with Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's? Just speculation on my part.
I can confirm from what I saw at the store I mentioned in #83. Their website doesn't even list them as carrying FN , but they had a whole case of them in 9mm.
Old August 26, 2020, 11:27 AM   #86
me1911

"[Interesting thoughts about the subject of people buying guns with zero experience. Got a text from a friend proudly proclaiming his partner, who has never even touched a pistol before, had just bought herself a new Hellcat.

Now, I don’t know about the rest of you, but for a completely inexperienced shooter, a 9mm Hellcat or any other micro pistol might be #300 on a list of 305 guns to start with.

I will be giving them both lessons with the Four Rules first and foremost, but this is a trend we are eyeing and it ain’t pretty. Too many people buying that “magic talisman” with absolutely no clue on how to safely (not to mention, legally) use it, and perhaps too many counter workers more than willing to push whatever they have.

With rights come responsibilities, and People like us who are on this particular forum should all continue to try to educate those people into getting some responsible training.]"

Yep, the one thing that concerns me most about a novice starting out with an auto loader, is the concept that an autoloading pistol can discharge without the magazine in place, due to a round in the chamber. Gives me the chills when I think of how many shooters, especially novices, do not know that. Sorry, a little off topic but I thought it was important to mention.
Old August 28, 2020, 10:01 AM   #87
wild cat mccane

Now factor in the top seller of cheap metal gun cabinets Stack-On is made in China with import bans. New owners, no real stock of available (even crap 18 or 22ga file cabinet level steel) gun security...middle age men are the highest suicide group in the US and teen suicide by gun is constantly on the up. In Utah where I live, it's the highest cause of youth death--including auto accidents. The responsible gun ownership slice of the gun population needs to step up and with a national movement, not just individuals offering to train.

The clearing houses (online where the seller never even touches the gun (gunbuyer, gun genie, etc) have higher volume than your local store.

Cabelas/Bass Pro is the presumptive handgun ammunition take over from Walmart when they stopped being the largest handgun ammunition retailer in the world. Look to them as your gauge. They are getting some in at normal prices online.

I suspect we don't see build up of less common rounds for a bit though. 357 and 380 aren't high volume purchases, so we'll see stocks of it, but I don't think that indicates the amount being produced (not much).

While Federal/Speer/CCI sell direct now, I suspect we are temporarily getting hosed from paying those prices even though they are lower than Target USA and SGammo, the largest online sellers.
Old August 28, 2020, 11:28 AM   #88
Hawg

We bought two more guns at the LGS last week along with 200 rounds of 5.56, 200 of 9MM and 100 rounds of .38 Special. They have plenty of guns in every price range and a lot of ammo. The ammo is a little higher than normal but not by a lot. The ammo shelves are full of .223, 5.56 and 9 MM and they have a rack with .22 LR and magnums. Anything else you have to ask for.
Old August 30, 2020, 02:33 AM   #89
Bart Noir

Well said, me1911, concerning new gun owners. I have the same worries about the new shooters, even the ones who are actually trying to learn and do it right.

Bart Noir
Old August 30, 2020, 10:54 PM   #90
Ignition Override

Three days ago, in Cordova/Memphis TN:

the display cases with handguns were >>> filled up with handguns <<<.
They looked just like they did a year ago.

And this local store -- Classic Arms -- has huge amounts of 9mm, .40 S&W ammo, 7.62x39 and .22 LR ammo.

No, they don't ship ammo. They don't need to ship ammo, and never did.

Again, as noted by so many people, Ammo is the scarcity in so many places.
This is for the people who either just returned from a foreign country, or were sealed inside a cave.
Old August 31, 2020, 09:08 AM   #91
FITASC

Well, as I mentioned in this thread back in June, my LGS would be getting my gen 3 G-19 to sell; it was in his shop for 3 weeks - but realize this is a P/T position for him and he is only open on Saturdays and Sundays from 12-5; I do know he sold it for right about $600 though.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 11, 2020, 09:16 AM   #92
Average Joe

The only auto loaders I see around at the local shops are high end, mostly over a thousand bucks, and of course lots of revolvers.
Old September 11, 2020, 01:22 PM   #93
TXAZ

The stock is rebuilding at the local (non chain) gun store.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 11, 2020, 01:47 PM   #94
Double K

I've never seen the gunshops this empty around here, few guns and no ammunition, the local farm and ranch store which has a big selection normally got 3 pallets of ammunition last week and it was gone before noon.
Is there anyone on this forum that works at one of the big ammunition manufacturers? Tell us about it......never mind your probably working 12hrs a day.
Old September 12, 2020, 03:30 AM   #95
Hawg

Was at the local LGS yesterday. Pretty much name it they've got it. My wife bought an almost new looking SS Ruger MK III.
Old September 12, 2020, 08:14 AM   #96
Jim Watson

The range/store here has a pretty good stock of pistols.
They got in a number of Masada pistols this week, $460 for a pretty good looking Israeli PSFP. (Plastic Striker Fired Pistol.)

Still short on basic ARs, pretty good selection of the high priced spread.