The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2020, 11:41 PM   #26
RC20

Quote:
To be fair to ER Shaw, their barrels are OK. But just OK. They are not great accuracy barrels, they typically shoot 1/2MOA or so in my experience.
Ok for a hunting rifle? I found that pretty funny. Anyone know a shooter let alone a hunter than can do 1/2 MOA in the field?

Been awhile since I was hunting but last time the Caribou still did not have target dots on them!

Hunted with a 1.5 MOA rifle and other than when I vastly hosed up, done fine.

Hell on a good day I am happy with 1/2 MOA.
Old January 23, 2020, 11:45 PM   #27
RC20

I built 3 target rifles on Savage actions. Its a great setup for what I wold call a recreational target shooter.

You can do your own barrels and pick whatever a range of mfgs that make Savage pre fit barrels. Shilen and Criterion would be great choices. My best shooter is a Shilen.
Old January 24, 2020, 11:56 PM   #28
Colorado Redneck

RC20

Quote:
Ok for a hunting rifle? I found that pretty funny. Anyone know a shooter let alone a hunter than can do 1/2 MOA in the field
Yeah, those "accuracy requirements" are humorous as all get out. Unless a hunter is looking to harvest an elk at 1000 yards, 1 moa is way adequate for most medium to large game. Either there is a bit of "tongue in cheek" or some are caught up in the long range shooting fad. But like I said in my prior post, accuuracy is addictive and elusive.
Old January 25, 2020, 08:26 PM   #29
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Redneck View Post
RC20

Yeah, those "accuracy requirements" are humorous as all get out. Unless a hunter is looking to harvest an elk at 1000 yards, 1 moa is way adequate for most medium to large game. Either there is a bit of "tongue in cheek" or some are caught up in the long range shooting fad. But like I said in my prior post, accuuracy is addictive and elusive.
My Daddy taught me that the more accurate the rifle is, the more room exits for my error. I still find that to be true.
Old January 25, 2020, 10:46 PM   #30
Colorado Redneck

Reynolds357
I understand your thinking. I waste money and gasoline and time every winter punching holes in paper pursuing tighter groups from all my rifles. Occasionally I have to laugh at myself trying to attain accuracy that very likely won't be any more effective for hunting. Makes me chuckle reading comments here about the same subject.

Carry on....