The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 22, 2012, 11:59 AM   #1
ZEBRARANGER

4" Colt King Cobra With A Vented Rib Barrel?

I saw a 4" Colt King Cobra for sale today with a vented rib barrel. I've never seen a King Cobra with a vented rib barrel before, they always had a solid rib. Did Colt ever make them that way.
Old October 22, 2012, 05:31 PM   #2
laytonj1

I'm going on memory on this but about 6 years ago I saw a 6" King Cobra with a ventilated rib barrel on Gunbroker. I asked about it over on the Colt forum and was told that back around the end of production there were 25 King Cobras assembled with Python barrels.
I bid on it but prices got too high.
Nor do I know if all 25 were 6" or not.

Jim
Old October 22, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

In so far as I know (note the qualifier) Colt never made the King Cobra with a vented barrel.

The closest they ever made was the rare Colt Boa, which was a Trooper Mark V fitted with a Python barrel. This was a limited production model made exclusively for Lew Horton Distribution.
Old October 22, 2012, 05:42 PM   #4
laytonj1

I went over to the Colt forum and found my old thread. Unfortunately, the link it refers me to is no longer there.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt...html#post41447

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; October 22, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old October 23, 2012, 12:05 PM   #5
ZEBRARANGER

Thats interesting, I was just wondering because I had never heard of it before. This is the photo of it thats being advertised as the 4" King Cobra with the vent rib barrel. I cant really make out the name on the side of the barrel because of the flash or lighting.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Venom1956

Its most likely the picture same about the glare but those vents look... inconsistant. space apart and shape of vents.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 23, 2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

That appears to be a vented King Cobra.
The barrel is definitely a King Cobra shape.

The grips are the last type rubber grips Colt used. These were more or less exact copies of the Pachmayr "Gripper" only made for Colt by Vintage Industries.
These had Colt medallions, a Colt banner on the bottom, and no metal liner like the Pachmayr grips did.

After some research, it appears that some of the very last KC's had vented barrels.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:41 PM   #8
SHOOTERS WORLD

vented king cobra

Did anyone ever give you any info on vented Colt King Cobra's? I purchased a 8" stainless King Cobra in 1988. It has a vented barrel and is stamped King Cobra. I am trying to find out more info about the handgun.