The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 30, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1
tbeb

Sabre Red Crossfire (pepper spray)

Have you sprayed or been sprayed with Sabre Red Crossfire?

(FYI: Sabre Red Crossfire is 3rd generation technology, and their web says "Crossfire can deploy continuously from any position or angle to increase target acquisition. It's active ingredient is 10% OC. SHU's is 2,000,000. Capsaicinoids is 1.33%.")
Old February 2, 2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Ruark

No, but remember this is a marketed product just like everything else, from Britney Spears to golf balls. 2 million SHUs is nothing. If you want the top shelf product, go to Fox Labs cone mist. 5.3 million SHUs. There's probably not a human being on the planet that can withstand a facefull of it.
Old February 4, 2012, 12:45 AM   #3
garryc

Quote:
There's probably not a human being on the planet that can withstand a facefull of it.
I've never seen FOX completely fail, but don't think that guy can't still hurt you.
Old February 4, 2012, 03:53 PM   #4
tbeb

I've done a lot of research on pepper spray since I posted this topic. Based solely on that, my opinion is that Fox will work better or as well as anything out there.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Nanuk

Fox labs is better than sabre red. 2 M SHU is not that hot for good pepper spray.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 6, 2012, 05:49 PM   #6
ProShooter

As a Sabre instructor, and someone who has been sprayed a dozen times in LE, I'll take Sabre 8 days a week....

Here's some interesting reading from Sabre about SHU's...the company VP David Nance is a chemist. I've spoken to him personally about this, and his explanation why Sabre is better is rock solid, imho.

http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-template/faq/Page
www.ProactiveShooters.com
Old February 8, 2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Ruark

Quote:
his explanation why Sabre is better is rock solid
It's kinda hard to ignore a little bias there, as he is a VP of Sabre Red, and his "explanation" is right off the Sabre web site. I'm sure you wouldn't want a face full of Sabre in any case, but, well, advertising is advertising. People who have experienced both brands say Fox is much stronger. The % of OC is partially relevant, as well. It's not just the percent, it's also the purity and how fast it takes effect and reaches maximum impact. Some sprays can hit pretty hard, but can take 30 seconds or so to "build up" intensity, whereas Fox seems to take effect almost instantly because of its purity.

It seems like Sabre and Fox compete for the #1 slot on the market.

I have NEVER seen ANYBODY press home an attack, real or pretend, after a face full of Fox. Check these YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kAkHPuBM8U (a couple of bouncers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NHQG_Qyvp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcqWdgZHik0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYY4A9tAZLQ

Here's one using Sabre... it's obviously hot stuff, but you can see the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvnJaS2xreI

Last edited by Ruark; February 8, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old February 8, 2012, 02:25 PM   #8
ScottRiqui

Is OC more effective than the chemical irritants like CS and CN, or is OC just popular because CS isn't legal everywhere?
Old February 13, 2012, 07:42 PM   #9
GRAND MASTER WANNABE

I graduated the police academy 1 year ago. They sprayed me with O.C. and I remember that it just really ****** me off. Not very painful either, it just really ****** me off.
Old February 16, 2012, 02:23 AM   #10
jgcoastie

I've been sprayed with both Fox and Sabre. Neither had any effect on my eyes or mucus membranes. They were full double-Z facial sprays, not the "Let me squirt this on a q-tip and rub it on your skin under your eye" BS method that some people try to claim is the same as being sprayed...

After about 3-4 minutes, my skin was burning, but I had already subdued the "attacker" (training, mind you) so it was a moot point. 10 minutes in a hot shower relieved this to a certain point. About an hour or two after being sprayed, I suffered no effects aside from mild skin irritation.

Moral of the story; don't count on any spray to take someone out of the fight.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.