The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1
toolguy2006

Rifle Brass

Looking to buy brass for 7mm Remington Magnum, and looking for input on brand. Seems to me that I have heard that Winchester casings are on the thin side. In the past, I have simply purchased factory ammo (usually Federal) and reused the brass. With 7MM rounds costing what they do, however, I think that I will be buying brass by itself. Any input would be great!
Old October 12, 2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Jimro

I've used pretty much every brand out there for 7mm Rem Mag. I would pick Winchester or Federal for accuracy from American brass. Of course you could get more expensive brass like Hornady, Lapua, or Norma, but for a hunting rifle you should be able to stay sub-MOA with Win or Fed.

Jimro
Old October 12, 2011, 06:22 AM   #3
mehavey

Winchester brass is the best for the money, Lapua is the best, period.

In a bolt gun, Winchester can be made to last ("near") forever by sizing it only so far as to fit the chamber.
Old October 13, 2011, 11:24 PM   #4
capreppy

My vote would be for Winchester as well. It is pretty reasonably priced.

I would very seriously consider buying used brass. Especially after hunting season, everyone will be offloading the brass that is recovered.

Definitely a lot cheaper than buying new and a lot easier to obtain than shooting and recovering your own. Especially true given the price of factory ammo in 7mm Mag.
Old October 13, 2011, 11:42 PM   #5
Fullthrottle

I was sort of wondering the same thing. I just aquired my grandfathers Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag. I picked up 2 boxes of Federal 7mm for $25 per 20 locally. All I was interested in was the brass, though the firing of the rounds was a bonus.
For me that is the most cost effective way as opposed to buying brass alone!
Old October 14, 2011, 07:15 AM   #6
hooligan1

When I bought my 7mm rem mag, I also purchased 4 boxes of Hornady Custom ammo because it was on sale for like 20.00 per box. And now that I have been testing loads, I've used some of these cases three times going on the fourth. I just might call Midway and price some new Hornady brass.