The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 25, 2011, 03:01 PM   #1
sevensixtytwo

32 auto casting

Hey fellas,

I'm wanting to cast some 32acp bullets for my p32. I have lyman handles and I have seen a couple of different lee molds that are the right price.
One is the 311-100-2r and the other is the 311-93-1r. These seem kind of heavy though for the weight of the bullet. Any advice or recommendations on molds?
Old June 25, 2011, 03:04 PM   #2
sevensixtytwo

I also have a bunch of weights that I will be using for the bullets, I was planning on using wheel weights when these run out. Do I really need Sn/Pb mix? I'm just planning on target shooting with these, so does the hardness really matter?
Old June 25, 2011, 04:43 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I use the Lee 93 grainer. Look at the load data available and you may have to "create" your own load. Be on the cautious side and start low and work up. If you are not an experienced reloader, you should call the powder manufacturer and get recomendations from them.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 25, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Rangefinder

I use the 93gr Lee also--and my auto really liked it. I just hated loading for it because I have to seat very deep to chamber in my pistol--you may notice a couple threads recently regarding Mold Mod by me. This will give a little more detail on my issue--but yes--the 93 does run really well. I loaded it with 1.6gr Red Dot.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old June 25, 2011, 11:35 PM   #5
sevensixtytwo

What's wrong with sitting it deep? Does it bump the pressures or something?
Old June 25, 2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Rangefinder

With the depth I'm referring to, it starts to bulge the case. As I said though, I have to seat the 93gr really deep for mine--you may not need to go as far. It just depends how it chambers. The 93gr RUNS really well, but I modified mine to 80gr. shorter boolit to perform better in my gun. They're all different.

Old June 26, 2011, 03:18 PM   #7
sevensixtytwo

Alrighty. Thanks for the help so far. So the steps:
1. cast
2. lube
3. seat?

Do I need to do anything else like swage (sp?) or something?
Old June 27, 2011, 01:12 AM   #8
Rangefinder

There's a bit more to it than that... Have you thoroughly read through the "Bullet Casting 101" sticky at the top of the page yet? There is a pretty deep science to reloading in general--if you've had much experience with that, you'll know what I mean. Casting your own bullet takes that science to yet another level. All things considered, casting for a .32 Auto is a pretty low-level thing. It's a small, low pressure cartridge that doesn't have a whole lot of room for big mistakes. BUT, there are things to be understood none the less. Understanding the process well will save you a lot of pains and grief later. Read through 101, and ask a LOT of questions (so far so good). We have a few extremely knowledgeable people on the board--helping ensure the life of our hobby is pretty important to us, and new people on board is how that happens. We'll help any way we can.

Old June 27, 2011, 09:24 PM   #9
sevensixtytwo

I have an old lyman lubricator/sizer. Are there different sizing dies or is there another way to size?
Old June 28, 2011, 01:09 AM   #10
Rangefinder

Quote:
I have an old lyman lubricator/sizer. Are there different sizing dies or is there another way to size?
Not only are there different sizing dies (one for each step in the .001" scale to cover any given caliber), but there are also nose punches that have to be matched to the bullet type in the caliber you're sizing or you'll cause serious deformation.

For the purposes of what you're looking at starting with, I'd suggest just getting a Lee push-through sizer and tumble lube. To be perfectly honest, I don't remember the last time I used my Lyman 450. I size everything on Lee push-through dies now and tumble lube it--even the conventional lube-groove designs are running extremely well without the traditional hard lube I used before.

Have you slugged your barrel? There is one "law" to cast bullets that we all pretty much come to agree on: fit is king. Standard sizing on a .32 Auto is going to be .311, but don't rely on that alone. If it turns out your bore is a couple thousandths over and you don't size to it, you'll wish you had. The general rule is to fit the bullet .001" over your bore diameter--some go as far as .002 or .003 if that's what it takes to get proper seal. If your bullet is undersized, you'll get a mess in a hurry.

Old June 28, 2011, 07:03 PM   #11
sevensixtytwo

Have not slugged my barrel...
I'm sure there is a youtube on how to do that. :P

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

On a different note: I was looking at buying lee dies for my RCBS press. Does anyone know if they will fit? It will save me roughly half of buying the RCBS carbide dies.
Old June 29, 2011, 02:05 AM   #12
Rangefinder

Yes, they all generally mix and match on a 7/8x14 thread these days. a few are different, but all the common makers are settled in a universal size.

As for slugging... Here ya go.

http://youtu.be/CR_WiL8Dkgw

Old July 10, 2011, 12:47 PM   #13
sevensixtytwo

Seems easy enough. Thanks for the help!
I bought some FMJ 71gr rds 1000 for $86 (clearance at midway ), I think I'll try these first and get the hang of the pistol loads before I get the rest of the casting equipment.
Old July 19, 2011, 03:01 PM   #14
jal5

good idea use those FMJ rounds first and get a feel for the process. you can always cast for it later. I have used a similar bullet by Berrys with good results in two different 32 ACP pistols. have fun and be safe.

Joe
Old July 19, 2011, 05:43 PM   #15
crowbeaner

I use the RCBS 77 and 84 grain moulds. SLUG YOUR BARREL before buying a sizer die; bore diameters vary widely from .308 to .313". 2.0 grains of Titegroup and the 77 grain bullet shoot very well.