The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 12, 2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Lube

Fellas,

I got out shooting on Friday. Up until that time I had been using up a bunch of bore butter that I got pretty cheap.

But on Friday I tried a mixture of one pound of crisco and one toilet donut.

I have to thank someone else on the forum for that recipe. (I think Hawg or MCB likes it)

I am shooting round balls and it seemed to do alright. Temperature was pushing 80 degrees and the stuff stayed where I put it.

Bore stayed about as clean as with Bore Butter. When I got home the pistols cleaned up pretty well.

The bottom line is I (admittedly a novice shooter) can't see a nickels worth of difference between the two and since bore butter is so expensive and Crisco and toilet donuts are a couple of bucks for a 55 gallon drum, I am sticking with the cheap stuff. I may try a little olive oil in my next batch so that it does not get quite so stiff.

I have seen about 400 different recipes for bullet lube on the forum. The whole topic is quite interesting.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Hawg

Wasn't me, I've never used a toilet ring. I may try one when I run out of beeswax tho.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:22 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Beeswax is preferred. Toilet rings well do, be sure they are made with beeswax and not synthetic.
The fact that grease cookie don't melt and run all over every thing is a big plus to me.
My current recipe is paraffin, beeswax and Ballistol. I might add some Crisco in the next batch.
I want to get some felt, punch some wads and soak them. See if they are easier to handle.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
I want to get some felt, punch some wads and soak them. See if they are easier to handle.
They are. You can get a set of Chinese punches from Harbor Freight for about five bucks(plus five shipping) that will do the job. They're not hardened so you have to be careful what you use under the felt.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:05 AM   #5
CaptainCrossman

DOC- just use CRISCO straight up- no reason to use a toilet gasket donut, my Lord who the heck thought that up- toilet donut is a wax seal.

I've been using Crisco now for over 25 years to seal cylinders from chain fire. It goes down the bore and actually improves accuracy as the gun is fired. I was actually thinking of running it through the bore on a patch, just to prelube it and get better accuracy starting with the first shot.

again, no reason to use a toilet wax seal- mixing lube 50/50 like that, is like going to hell to light a cigarette. No gain, way too labor intensive, that sounds like something someone thought up as an improvement and got carried away using what was laying around the house at that time, and thought they re-invented the wheel. Crisco will stay where you put it- I used to load my 58 Rem and let it sit by my nightstand for home defense, and it would be there for months at a time and the Crisco never ran out. I have the same large can of Crisco that I've been using now, for over 25 years- that's how long it lasts. Buy the largest container, you're good for life.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

I kind of like the idea of the toilet donut

Fellas,

I kind of like the smell I get from the use of the toilet ring. Plus, it permits me to make use of the used ring. No point in just throwing it away. Of course I always handle it with rubber gloves until I get it good and hot.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:52 AM   #7
gunslinger6

Chain Fire Prevention

I had heard of flashover chain firing in BP pistols, greased wads or grease of some type are likely a good prevention from that mishap. I have owned three or four cap & ball six shooters and never had the problem of flashover.

I always used the proper sized balls as I saw it and when they were pushed down into the cylinder with the rammer they always shaved off a little ring of lead which told me that they were tight in their bore and no flashover would occur. And it never has.

This is not to say that the crisco or grease is anything but a good idea and safety step. I don't think Great-Grandad greased his loaded cylinder when
popping rounds at the Yanks............
Old April 12, 2009, 12:53 PM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
This is not to say that the crisco or grease is anything but a good idea and safety step. I don't think Great-Grandad greased his loaded cylinder when
popping rounds at the Yanks............
I agree, I think they relied on correct fitting rb to seal the chambers. I use the grease cookies for insurance, keeping the fouling soft and ease of cleaning.
Old April 12, 2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Hawg

It's also to keep fouling soft. Gen. Robert E. Lee's .36 Navy was fired seven years after his death and it was noted the balls all had a waxy looking substance on them.
Old April 12, 2009, 01:09 PM   #10
45Marlin carbine

melt a ring and stir a heaping tablespoon of vaseline well into it.
that's the mix I dip my conicals into.
I suppose Crisco will do as well.
Old April 12, 2009, 01:17 PM   #11
Gewehr98

I have to echo the non-petroleum warning.

Petroleum-based lube and BP don't go together very well.

Take my word for it, or try to clean out the results yourself.

No fun.

Neural Misfires
Old April 12, 2009, 01:48 PM   #12
long rider

CRISCO AND BEESWAX, thats all you need.
Old April 12, 2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Doc Hoy

Y'all are half asleep.

Fellas,

While I might have been serious in my first post, I tried to make a joke about used toilet donuts...and I couldn't get a rise out of anyone.
Old April 12, 2009, 02:01 PM   #14
long rider

I recken that got flushed down the pan.

Last edited by long rider; April 12, 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old April 12, 2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
Crisco will stay where you put it-
You've obviously never used it in summer heat. It runs quicker than grease through a goose.
Old April 12, 2009, 04:59 PM   #16
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
my Lord who the heck thought that up- toilet donut is a wax seal.
I thought that up when I made the Dang I'm Broke Lube Pills...Recipe follows. And it surely works...best I've found...

Dang I'm broke Lube Pills

What I did was start out with:
Parafin comes in a brick divided to to 4 like a stick a butter, I used a stick.
Then 1/4 of a Bolwax Toilet Seal Ring(Beeswax)substitute or beeswax or use with the parafin.
Then 8-10 Tablespoons of Olive Oil/soy oil
The Olive oil is the Lube the Waxes just carry it and keep the pill as
you want it.(consistacey/hard or soft...climate time of year)
And that made alot about 600 pills...about 1/8" thick for the most part.
Place the lube mixture in a small saucepan, place the small saucepan in a larger pan with water
boilin' the water and sorta poach the lube mix to a liquid.
level stiff heated pizza pan(or 7-9" heavy pie pan)is the best thing to pour your mix into...
so mix cools evenly(flat) .Place in fridge when it's set stiff(optional)
And worked good for me...you need to try your best guess and add/subract as you like them
for your use.

Punch out to the caliber of your choice, with a tube. Place lube pill over powder with ball
on top. You'll shoot all day without binding. Keeps cylinder lubed fouling soft and barrel
relatively clean.

It works.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old April 12, 2009, 07:44 PM   #17
madcratebuilder

SG turned me onto his secret formula and I've been a confirmed user ever since.
Old April 13, 2009, 05:35 AM   #18
Doc Hoy

I started shooting in Guam

Guam has two seaons, winter and summer. In summer it is 95 degrees and 100% humidity. In winter it drops down to 92 degrees and 100% humidity. When I used Crisco alone in Guam it got a little runny.
Old April 15, 2009, 12:51 PM   #19
51colt

Quote:
I don't know but it is a common nick name as is a$$ gasket.

I like to use Crisco because i like to use filler i keep mine in my ice chest in the summer months keeps it nice and firm.

I made pills once they did not work out very good for me. One of these i am going to try SGs recipe if SG and Cratebuilder say they work good thats good enough for me.
Old April 15, 2009, 01:12 PM   #20
Doc Hoy

Quote:
Sure!...."Toilet donut" equals wax ring..... just like "toilet cookie" equals those little moth ball smelling things they put in urinals so they don't have to clean them so often.

Just for the sake of accuracy, I was kidding about using them for bore lube after they have come out from under the toilet. I go buy new ones.
Old April 15, 2009, 03:11 PM   #21
51colt

I was a linoleum layer for 30yr and have set a lot of toilets. Take my word for it they are not made out of bees wax any more. They are made out of a petroleum wax. I think they are like other petroleum products like paraffin wax and Vaseline that don't seam to have a problem with black powder.