The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 27, 2008, 05:45 AM   #1
duran50

Confederate States Hartford Colt Black Power 44 cal. Pistol Question

I have a question. During the civil war does anyone know if the CSA stamped CSA on their Colt pistols? I have a Colt stamped Hartford on the barrel and CSA stamped on the metal parts several different times. It has brass also on area by trigger. If anyone know anything about this type pistol please let me know. I am curious to know if it is a antique from the civil war or a replica. I have looked in Museums and all over the internet and have not found anything near it stamped like it is. It is like a Navy Colt 1861 but no engraving. I read the South bought Colts fro Hartford before the civil war and stock piled them. If you know anything please email me or answer on here. Thank you.
Old November 27, 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Jim Watson

It is awful easy to stamp an otherwise common period gun "C.S.A." to jack up its value.
Unless it is very well documented, no collector will put a lot of value on it.

You might put up some good clear pictures here for examination by the real experts.
Old November 28, 2008, 12:01 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Never say never, but the only genuine Confederate marked guns I have seen were marked "C.S.", not "C.S.A.", and in only one place, following standard U.S. practice.

I agree with Jim Watson that the gun sounds suspicious. If you are thinking of buying it, be very careful if the price is more than what a used reproduction would be worth.

Jim