The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 17, 2013, 03:39 PM   #26
Bartholomew Roberts

Add Senator Franken to the SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL list:
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...ut-support-for
Old January 18, 2013, 09:36 AM   #27
spacecoast

Even Democratic senators are apparently on the fence, no doubt feeling pressure from their constituents. Now is the time to act, especially if your Senator is considered a "Moderate" Democrat.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-control-plan/
Old January 18, 2013, 11:27 AM   #28
Technosavant

This is the benefit to contacting one's legislators, even if you know they are not normally friendly to the right to keep and bear arms.

They can say what they like, but if their own staff is telling them that a vote for a ban equals lost votes at the polls, then that person is going to be very noncommittal behind the scenes. If the leadership cannot be certain of passage, then they won't push the bill. The only thing worse than losing votes to pass a bill is losing votes for a bill that ultimately never became law anyway (this is why Reid is not eager to push one through the Senate to have it fail in the House).

Make your desires clear... I plan to keep on writing my legislators every couple weeks, just to make sure they know I'm paying attention. Two of them (my Representative and one Senator) are with us... one is not very friendly to our cause, but I do think she can be turned if we keep the pressure on.

Get to writing- be clear, be concise, be polite, and be persistent. If we lose our rights, don't let it be because we were quiet.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:43 PM   #29
Spats McGee
Staff

Add Mark Pryor to the "Supports nothing in particular" (aka supports gun control when politically convenient) camp, based on the following response to my email:

Quote:
Dear [Spats McGee],

Thank you for contacting me regarding the shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut and gun legislation. I appreciate hearing from you.

I was devastated to hear about the senseless act of violence that took place on December 14, 2012. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and those affected by this tragedy. The devastating impact of this tragedy has been felt not just in the small community, but throughout the nation and the world.

There is no doubt the shooting has heightened Americans' attention to gun laws, and a number of proposals have already been brought forth in response to this tragedy. I feel it is my duty as a U.S. Senator to consider legislation based on its merits and future ramifications. As Congress evaluates proposals related to all aspects of firearm violence, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I value your input. Please do not hesitate to contact me or my office regarding this or any other matter of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Mark Pryor
United States Senate
Old January 20, 2013, 03:15 PM   #30
Texshooter

chambliss in Ga

is very wussified.

No straight answers and, frankly, I don't trust J.I. that much either.

Neither has enough fire for my taste.

Thank goodness, I am pretty sure, my new rep from a move on my part (Paul Broun) is pretty solid on the subject.

And Deal won't respond to my asking about his support for a "Firearms Protection Act" type of legislation as we are seeing elsewhere.

A.G. of GA - olens - pure jellyfish.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:58 PM   #31
Warrior1256

I am cautiously optomistic that at this point no AWB will pass congress.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Bartholomew Roberts

Senator Warner of VA is now on record supporting magazine bans:
http://www.warner.senate.gov/public/...0-43d31c84f7ea
Old January 24, 2013, 08:17 PM   #33
Bartholomew Roberts

Senators Cornyn, Sessions, and Cochran have clarified their support for the Second Amendment.

Sen Risch of Idaho put out a strong pro-2A statement on his website but the statement is currently MIA and only available through Google cache.

All of these show the importance of contacting your Senator even if you think you know how they stand on the issue.

Meanwhile, several gun control Senators (Warner, Udall, Franken and Hagan) have shown signs they are getting concerned about 2014 and are wobbly. Keep pouring it on.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:14 PM   #34
SycoPath

In reply to email I sent Kay Hagen, her email was non commital except for saying she was not for "unnecessary changes to the 2nd Amendment". Any change is unnecessary. What part of "shall not be infringed" does she not understand?
Old January 24, 2013, 10:17 PM   #35
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Permalink for Senator Risch: http://www.risch.senate.gov/public/i...trol-proposals
Old January 25, 2013, 12:29 PM   #36
BarryLee

Georgia Senator Chambliss has announced that he will not be seeking reelection citing his frustration with Washington gridlock. He has been a little wishy-washy on his support for the Second Amendment, so not sure if his retirement might make him more open to support gun control or simply to hold the status quo.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 25, 2013, 12:42 PM   #37
mayosligo

Thanks. Great info. Will be interesting for landrieu as she has talked about retiring.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:01 PM   #38
Bartholomew Roberts

Sen. Susan Collins goes wobbly on a new AWB: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ss-senate.html

Says she isn't certain she will support it, despite voting for it every single time it came up previously. My guess is she is probably lying; but congratulations to you guys in Maine who have apparently made an impact on her position.

In the bad news; but not surprising department, Sen. Brian Schatz (D-HI) is one of the sponsors of Feinstein's new abhorrent and worse than ever before ban bill.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; January 25, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:10 PM   #39
DFrame

I'm asking EVERYONE from Illinois to make a massive effort to get rid of dick durbin. He is one of the worst enemies the second amendment ever had. He will support ANY and ALL anti-gun legislation!!!
Old January 27, 2013, 03:59 PM   #40
brokenhand

JOHN CORNYN's Letter

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:52 PM   #41
lefteye

Iowa's Senator Tom Harkin has announced he is NOT running in 2014!!!
Old January 27, 2013, 05:47 PM   #42
DMacLeod

Here is the reply I got from Senator Collins.
Mr. David MacLeod

Berwick, ME

Dear Mr. MacLeod,

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to gun control legislation in the wake of the horrifying tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut.

These shootings were acts of violence that our country has experienced far too often. I continue to be shaken by the details of the shooting, which cut short the lives of so many little children and adults, causing such immense suffering and unspeakable grief for their families and their community.

Responsible gun ownership is part of the heritage of many families in Maine and it should stay that way. While our country should examine what can be done to help prevent gun violence, denying the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens won't change the behavior of those who intend on using firearms for criminal purposes.

We need to have a national conversation to try to avert another devastating shooting. Committed gun owners and those who support stronger gun control laws must come together to discuss reasonable ideas about preventing mass violence. Whatever steps we take to address this growing problem must be comprehensive — and must bring the entertainment industry and mental health community to the table. We cannot snap our fingers and solve the problem by pushing one-track legislation that focuses only on regulating firearms. Such an approach certainly will not fully address the problem.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Collins
Old January 27, 2013, 06:11 PM   #43
thallub

Senator Susan Collins has never supported our Second Amendment rights. In 2004 Collins voted to extend the AWB.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:02 PM   #44
Technosavant

I received a new email from Claire McCaskill (D-MO) a couple days ago.

She originally had been all in favor of a new AWB (despite her own protests that she's pro-2A). Well, I guess we Missourians kept the pressure on. Her most recent missive says not one single word about supporting any new ban on guns or magazines, instead focusing on background and mental health checks.

Keep the pressure on, and the folks who have to answer to pro-RKBA constituencies (even if they tend to normally be willing to vote for bans) will drop their support for such bans. If a ban isn't a sure thing, they won't bother bringing it to the floor- the politicians are remembering that after the 1994 bill passed many of their number had to go find new jobs. They SURE don't want an anti-RKBA vote on their record for a bill that will fail.

We're winning. Keep it up.