The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 25, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Chris_B

Benefits of moving

I am in the middle of a move right now, AUG 1 I am moving away from Boston to a suburb called Canton. It's a nice place but I fear that they will not issue to me a Class A (such as the one Boston gave me) but rather a Class B will be the best I can hope for...I am making some look-sees now about that and what I might do about it. I was well, sorta-kinda forced into moving by a bone-headed decision by somebody else, and a move to this nice new place (much better than my current one) isn't all bad. Sure beats living in a box or in my car. So, the firearm front had to take a backseat into the 'roof over my head' front.

Anyway. Early this spring I came home from a nice trip to the rifle range. I sat down and proceeded to break down and clean my 1944 M1 rifle while watching 'Kelly's Heroes'. I also, somehow, lost the pin that holds on the band at the front of the rear handguard. It just slipped out- gone. I knew it was there when I broke it down. I tore the room apart looking for it, but couldn't find it

Fast forward to yesterday, when I am in high gear during packing. What is that tiny pin on the floor, in my bedroom? Well I'll be...that same pin I couldn't find, for my M1. It must have fallen into my clothes and I carried it to my room that night, where it was probably flung into the corner behind a bookcase when I changed clothes, only to be found because I'm being forced to move months later. I was going to vacuum that corner, it was by chance that I looked down and saw the pin. That pin shouldn't have been in the bedroom at all, it should have been in the living room, where it was lost. I was going to take everything out of that room again and search once more before I left

I'll be pleased to tap out that roll pin I used as a substitute, peen the original a little for a more snug fit, and re-install it. It's weird that I'm looking forward to this so much that I may interrupt my very necessary packing and preparing to do it!
Old July 25, 2010, 04:10 PM   #2
rtpzwms

Is your Class A tied to an address? From the very little I read looks like its good for six years after issue. Don't live in Mass. and not likely to either... Want to move from CA but almost any state is an upgrade in gun laws!
Old August 3, 2010, 09:39 AM   #3
EdInk

I am fortunate enough to live in a state with pretty good gun laws. However, I was curious if you could explain to the rest of us about this Class A and B system. I assume it limits the types of guns you may own or something. Just curious about some of the restrictions. Gives us guys something to else for which to be grateful and for which to keep an eye out.
Old August 3, 2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Hardcase

A Class A license allows you to carry concealed handguns and has no restrictions on magazine sizes of handguns or rifles. A Class B license allows you to own handguns that do not have large magazines and all rifles and shotguns, but places restrictions on how you can transport them.

If you've got a Class A license, there are no particular restrictions on carrying a handgun (as long as it's under your direct control). For both licenses, rifles and shotguns must be unloaded. If the rifles or shotguns have large magazines, they have to be in a locked trunk or case. Class B licensees have to do the same with any handgun.

But wait, there's more! A Firearms ID card lets you own non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. A restricted Firearms ID card lets you own pepper spray.

Each of those licenses costs a hundred bucks and has an associated training course that must be completed first.

If you don't have one of those licenses or cards, you can own a BB gun.
Old August 3, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5
ISC

I genuinely feel sorry for those citizens who have had their constitutional rights trampled to the extent that this conversation even takes place. I could never imagine living someplace with high taxes, restricted constitutional rights, and politicians that aren't held accountable due to single party politics. Good luck with your struggle.
Old August 5, 2010, 08:09 AM   #6
cougar gt-e

cough cough {Unconstitutional Bull Snit!) Cough cough!

Sorry had something stuck in my craw.

Sure glad I don't live in the people republic of Taxachewsits.
Old August 5, 2010, 08:41 AM   #7
jimbob86

You did not move far enough. Keep going.
Old August 5, 2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Hardcase

Quote:
I could never imagine living someplace with high taxes, restricted constitutional rights, and politicians that aren't held accountable due to single party politics.
In the vein of "people would complain if they were hung with a new rope", I live in a state with low taxes, essentially unrestricted constitutional rights, but with politicians who aren't held accountable due to single party politics.

Actually, I'm not sure of the last one is true (the accountability part), but I suspect that the first two happened because of the single party politics. Now, I don't mean for this to turn into a political discussion - my aim was to make this observation: For the most part, here in Idaho, we enjoy pretty much every freedom that states like Massachusetts don't, but there's still a pretty vocal group of people who not only complain, but complain loudly that many of those very freedoms that we enjoy need to be restricted.

Having lived in Newport, RI for five years, followed by another five in San Diego, courtesy of your United States Navy, I can see plenty of reasons just why those complainers are out of their nuts.
Old August 25, 2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Chris_B

Hi guys

Been very busy with work and the move, sorry for the late reply

Quote:
cough cough {Unconstitutional Bull Snit!) Cough cough!

Sorry had something stuck in my craw.
I agree 100%, it is illegal and unconstitutional.

Quote:
You did not move far enough. Keep going.
Everyone says this...online It's not really that simple. I have responsibilities here. But the sentiment is inarguable...this place isn't quite USA around here

Quote:
I genuinely feel sorry for those citizens who have had their constitutional rights trampled to the extent that this conversation even takes place. I could never imagine living someplace with high taxes, restricted constitutional rights, and politicians that aren't held accountable due to single party politics. Good luck with your struggle.
People are getting pretty disillusioned here in MA. I'm not sure where these droves of folks are that keep some of the local crooks in power, but by God they vote early and often. A positive sign I think- my Dad spoke to the brother of an old high school friend of mine who is running for Senate. He's a Democrat. Pop asked him about 2nd amendment rights, and the man said: "We've got more than enough laws on the books for that, and lots of other things around here". I thought that was refreshing...although that's just talk after all

Quote:
A Class A license allows you to carry concealed handguns and has no restrictions on magazine sizes of handguns or rifles. A Class B license allows you to own handguns that do not have large magazines and all rifles and shotguns, but places restrictions on how you can transport them.

If you've got a Class A license, there are no particular restrictions on carrying a handgun (as long as it's under your direct control). For both licenses, rifles and shotguns must be unloaded. If the rifles or shotguns have large magazines, they have to be in a locked trunk or case. Class B licensees have to do the same with any handgun.

But wait, there's more! A Firearms ID card lets you own non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. A restricted Firearms ID card lets you own pepper spray.

Each of those licenses costs a hundred bucks and has an associated training course that must be completed first.

If you don't have one of those licenses or cards, you can own a BB gun.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner Hardcase. It seems you feel I don't know what I'm talking about concerning Classes of firearms licenses, for some reason. I'm not sure why you'd reply that way, but where do you get your information in regards to MA laws and ordinances? I ask because, unfortunately, you're wrong. I wish you weren't.

Last edited by Chris_B; August 25, 2010 at 04:47 PM.