The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 17, 2007, 10:47 AM   #1
smithrob75

Number of transferable MP5's

I've heard that MP5's are one of the more rare guns in the NFA registry (compared to UZI, M16, MAC 10/11) Does anyone know how the numbers break down ?

I've heard there are 125,000 total transferrable class III, and out of that probably 5,000 are MP5's ??

Like I said I could be way off, if anyone knows the answer I'd love to hear it..

Also since all MP5's were converted HK94's ?? I did a little research and it looks like 1981 was the 1st year the HK94's were inported into the US and only 15,000 were imported total. If that is correct, that would mean no transferrable MP5 is older than 1981 and the numbers would have to be rather limited ?? Am I too far off. Thanks !!
Old October 18, 2007, 01:04 AM   #2
MisterPX

As far as MP5's go, there are receiver guns, trigger pack guns, and sear guns.
A "real" MP5 would have had to have been imported prior to the 68 GCA, all others are Hk's that ahve been converted. Taking into account rec's, packs and sears, I'm not sure how many there are.
Old October 18, 2007, 02:50 AM   #3
Silentarmy

If you Knew how many Full-Auto sears go into the scrap metal bin at Vector arms when they build their guns with the HK parts kits, you would be Sickened! I think we need a grassroots movement to repeal the 68 and 86 "acts" as nothing puts a smile one ones face like going auto for a mag or two!
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old October 18, 2007, 11:40 AM   #4
shaggy

I
Quote:
f you Knew how many Full-Auto sears go into the scrap metal bin at Vector arms when they build their guns with the HK parts kits, you would be Sickened!
Those, however, are factory sears, not registered conversion sears.
Old October 18, 2007, 03:40 PM   #5
smithrob75

Thanks, I mean all transferrable. Just trying to get an idea as this has a lot to do with the prices/rarity.

I understand that the government probably destroys almost all machine guns, it's a shame to know how many Thompson SMG's, M16's, etc that were destroyed after wars.

I certain they'll never do it, but it would be cool if the government made M4's available as transferrable weapons for the public at say $10,000 a piece. Would be a great revenue builder for something they likely scrap anyway.

With that said the #'s of NFA weapons out there are interesting to me as this is what drives the prices.
Old October 18, 2007, 08:46 PM   #6
9mmHP

Doesn't the ATF estimate something like 3 unregistered for every registered MG, kind of hard to believe.
Old October 18, 2007, 11:56 PM   #7
Crosshair

9mmHP

Doesn't the ATF estimate something like 3 unregistered for every registered MG, kind of hard to believe.

Not really, there are plenty of people who have bring backs from various wars. However the law prevents them from making the weapons legal, some have sentimental and historical value. So they just keep them locked away for better times.