The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Bwillsonhunter4

chokes for trap

I shoot high school trap. we only shoot 16 yard and I currently am shooting improved mood and every clay I hit I completely obliterate but I only hit 15-19/25 and I want to improve. what do you think about switching to a light mod or even an ic? btw I shoot a beretta semi auto with a 30 inch barrel
Old May 16, 2018, 02:39 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Read this. I'd be thinking Skeet for Trap though.
http://www.rem870.com/2012/05/06/sho...modified-full/
Old May 16, 2018, 04:23 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

IM should be fine for 16 yards, and I think you could expect to do better than 15-19/25 with IM.

So, before you start messing with chokes take a good look at some other things:
  • Do you have a coach? What does he say? If you don't have a coach are there some experienced shooter who can help?

• Are you having more trouble with some stations than others? Which ones?

• How are you missing? Over? Under? In front? Behind?

• Does the gun fit you well? Where is it shooting in relation to where you are looking? Pattern the gun to find out. Put a dot on the patterning paper. With the gun mounted normally put the bead on the dot and fire. Where is the pattern centered in relation to the dot?

I used to help coach a youth trapshooting team, and when someone was having difficulties those would be the first things we'd look at.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 16, 2018, 05:47 PM   #4
FITASC

Proper form is critical; including stance. FOCUS is the main route to success. Clear your mind, read the Remington brochure for some very good basics; then if necessary, get a coach to watch you
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 16, 2018, 10:06 PM   #5
Ricklin

Under 20?

Are you seeing the bead on your gun? IE aiming, that does not work.

It's really important that your gun fits you, and that your mount is very consistent.

The best quickie advice?

Eye on the rock, head on the stock. There is a lot to it, that thought helps me.
Old May 19, 2018, 06:12 PM   #6
Rob228

From what you are saying, the choke isn't the issue. Get someone who knows what they are doing to watch and critique your shooting.

With trap you are eventually going to move to a tighter choke, even at 16 yards. I shoot a light full and it works well from 16-25 yards (I haven't tried 27 yet).
Old May 19, 2018, 06:26 PM   #7
JWT

Keep your focus and keep your head on the gun. Peeking and looking up to see what you hit causes lots of misses. Stay oon the gun and follow through
Old May 20, 2018, 07:15 AM   #8
springer99

A difference choke is not the problem here. For 16yd trap, anything from improved cylinder to full choke will powder clays IF they're centered in the shot pattern. Training and technic is the issue. I'd suggest you have someone watch you shoot, concentrating on your swing and follow-thru.

While you're at it, spring for a couple boxes of Winchester "tracker" ammo and have them stand behind you while shooting, to see where your misses come from. Yes, they really do work. Don't try and follow the wad by yourself though, as this leads to raising your head off the stock and other bad traits.

Last edited by springer99; May 21, 2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:52 AM   #9
Ricklin

Tight full

I shoot an old Model 12, choked tighter than a nun's kiss. My other gun is an LC Smith SBT and it is tighter yet.
These old trap guns were choked in the day of fiber wads, not shot cups.

I let the bird get out a bit before I break it. Shooting them close to the house is either a smoke ball or a miss.

A tight choke from the 16 will improve your scores.......eventually.
Old May 20, 2018, 08:04 PM   #10
eastbank

I just shot a 23-25 and a 24-25 today with a modified choke tube in my remington 11/87 trap. 16 yard line.
Old May 20, 2018, 08:30 PM   #11
FITASC

M is all you need from the 16; good shooting!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 20, 2018, 10:15 PM   #12
Ridgerunner665

I prefer light modified choke for 16 yard trap, but any choke will work just fine.

I agree with the it others here though, choke isn't really your problem... You just need some coaching and practice.
Old May 21, 2018, 08:33 PM   #13
KEYBEAR

Ricklin is spot on .

Trap is a full choke game all the more open chokes are for people that do not learn to shoot . Any target you miss with a full choke you did not earn . People will tell you you do not need a full choke at 16 yards Non of them are good shooters and all will say the same thing I ONLY SHOOT FOR FUN . Is it fun to miss . A class and 26.5 handicap lets me say that .
Old May 22, 2018, 05:14 AM   #14
eastbank

what a load, 99 percent shoot the clays games for fun, and I don,t think I would want to shoot with you, I might be wrong. I would shot against you for a dollar a bird difference and I,m telling you may get a dollar or two out of me on a 100 bird run. just what the clays games need a elitest to drive shooters from the sport.
Old May 22, 2018, 07:19 AM   #15
FITASC

Quote:
Trap is a full choke game all the more open chokes are for people that do not learn to shoot . Any target you miss with a full choke you did not earn . People will tell you you do not need a full choke at 16 yards Non of them are good shooters and all will say the same thing I ONLY SHOOT FOR FUN . Is it fun to miss . A class and 26.5 handicap lets me say that .
16 yards is less than skeet, which uses a .005 constriction. By the time you are hitting a 16 yard trap target, it is at 30 yards MAX. A skeet choke will do just fine, let alone a LM or M.

25 chips beats 24 ink blots EVERY time.
My best 16 yard score was a 25, using a 28 gauge and a skeet choke.

It ain't the choke, it's the shooter; but using way more than is necessary is silly as there are no extra points for ink blots versus just breaking the target.

Maybe you should shoot some of the other games with your full and see how you do. Maybe step back to the 27 meter mark and shoot ZZs.............

Sorry, that is just total BS.
Old May 22, 2018, 08:00 AM   #16
243winxb

Choke depends on how fast you break the birds and the amount/weight of shot. 1 1/8 oz is better then 1 oz. as fringe hits are more likely. In other words, the edge of the pattern contains more pellets.

I/C with #8 shot has worked for me shooting my O/U hunting gun.

At 27 yards Handicap the I/M with magnum #8 shot works well using 1 1/8 oz. @ 1200FPS

Most lost birds are because the shooter lifts his head off the stock. Or stops the swing.

Trap guns are designed to shoot high, about 9". This compensates for the clay bird as its rising.

Last edited by 243winxb; May 22, 2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:03 AM   #17
KEYBEAR

25 chips beats 24 ink blots EVERY time.
My best 16 yard score was a 25, using a 28 gauge and a skeet choke.

The last words of a looser Just having fun .
Old May 22, 2018, 10:44 AM   #18
B.L.E.

My best trap score was 100/100 using 1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2 shot, CB 1112-12 wads, 15.2 grains Alliant e3, and W209 primers in Remington Gun Club hulls shot out of a 32 inch barrel BT-99 using a modified choke.
Old May 22, 2018, 01:09 PM   #19
tranders

My Model 12 is full choked and my Perazzi MX3 is improved modified. If I miss a target it's not because of the choke.
Keep practicing and good luck!
Old May 22, 2018, 01:34 PM   #20
KEYBEAR

Years Ago before Choke Tubes all we had was full and fuller . We all learned with a full choke and that is the way to learn . Remember you are not shooting at the flat of the target but the rim . Choke Tubes are not the answer you can not buy a good score with a Choke Tube . If you chip a target yes it counts but it is a very poor hit .
Over the years I have found most small Trap shoots are 75 or less shooters .
Of the 75 shooters 70 are paying the other 5 to shoot . Week in week out the same people win do you know why ? It is not because they shoot only for fun .
Old May 22, 2018, 02:21 PM   #21
springer99

"Of the 75 shooters 70 are paying the other 5 to shoot . Week in week out the same people win do you know why ? It is not because they shoot only for fun ."

And it most certainly is not because they only use a full choke, either.
Old May 22, 2018, 02:31 PM   #22
B.L.E.

While the other 70 are shooting for fun, as for paying the other five to shoot, options are called options for a reason.
Old May 22, 2018, 03:52 PM   #23
eastbank

where I shoot trap(two times a week), no money changes hands and every one pays for their round(3.50), so how do others pay for the few(semi pro,s)? if its a money shoot and the 70 lose every week they need to quit shooting for money.
Old May 22, 2018, 04:08 PM   #24
B.L.E.

"Of the 75 shooters 70 are paying the other 5 to shoot "

For the most part, that "other 5" has yet to break even.

One trap shooter told me "I shoot singles for glory, handicap for money, and doubles to get the taste of the handicap score out of my mouth"

To me, a good day in trap is when I beat my average. A bad day in trap is when the referee counts up the x's instead of counting down the 0's.

Last edited by B.L.E.; May 22, 2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old May 24, 2018, 08:50 PM   #25
kymasabe

I shot trap for years with a Remington 870 Wingmaster. Almost every Thursday night, full case/250 rounds each night, for 6 years. 30 inch vent rib barrel with full choke.
Two things helped me the most.
1. Ammo consistency. I reloaded for almost all those years and being very familiar with my ammo was a plus. Jumping from brand to brand, different size shot, or weights, even wads make a difference. Stick with what works and don't change.
2. Follow thru with your shot. I tended to stop the barrel and not follow thru and was shooting behind. My scores jumped right up as soon as I learned to follow thru.
So...there's my 2 cents worth of advice.