The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 4, 2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Tallest

Magpul Mags for Glock

I really don't see a lot of feed back anywhere on these, but they are way less expensive than the Glock factory mags. Where do they save the money? Are they worth it for practice? Are they good/reliable enough to carry? I like the look and the price, but I feel there has to be a trade-off somewhere.

Any thoughts/experiences/recommendations?

Thanks!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old June 4, 2019, 03:11 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I've used them pretty extensively for the Glock 26, because I like the baseplate design as it doesn't pinch my fingers like the factory extended magazines. They've been completely reliable through the hundreds of rounds I've shot with them. That said, I've watched a video where a man with a Gen 5 Glock 26 has issues with the same magazines, whereas I did not with my Gen 3.

In the world of aftermarket magazines I think they're leaps and bounds above ProMag, but idk if I'd call them the MecGars of the Glock world. For defensive use I still prefer the factory magazines unless I have a reason to not use them, as stated above.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 4, 2019, 04:16 PM   #3
Nodak1858

I got a bunch for my Polymer 80 Glock 19. All have worked well no issues with them. Easier to load than my other mags and insert and drop free. I think they're good to go.
Old June 4, 2019, 04:25 PM   #4
AK103K

I have a number of the 21 round mags, and just recently finally found some of the 27 rounders. Both have worked great so far.

The 27 rounders actually work better than the factory 33 rounders I have.

Ive also been using the Korean 17 and 19 mags for practice mags for about 10 years or so now, and they too have been great, and I think they are actually the best deal going for Glock mags. They have about doubled in price now over the 10 years Ive been using them, but still a deal at $8-10 a mag, depending on who you get them from.
Old June 4, 2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Dan-O

They are good to go.
Old June 4, 2019, 04:57 PM   #6
cslinger

G19 and G17 here. Seem good to go.
Old June 4, 2019, 09:54 PM   #7
JDBerg

I have Magpul G17 mags in 10 and 17 rounds and the Magpul G19 mags in 10 and 15 rounds, never had a problem with any of them. I hope they release Glock 21 mags sooner than later.
Old June 5, 2019, 12:00 AM   #8
TruthTellers

All my 9mm Glock mags are Magpul, I get them on sale. They work fine and I don't see the need for paying extra for the Glock 9mm mags.

I also have 30 rd .40 cal ETS mags and they work great too. The only non Glock made Glock magazine I have had issues with is a Korean 30 rd .40 mag that will not work in a Glock, but runs flawless in a Kel Tec Sub 2000.

Weird.
Old June 5, 2019, 12:40 AM   #9
FAL'er

I've got a couple they work fine. I keep those and the ETS mags in my range bag. For the price difference I'll stick with OEM mags for carry.
Old June 5, 2019, 03:29 AM   #10
BarryLee

I have three 12 round magazines that I use in my G26. Probably a couple of thousand rounds between the three with zero issues.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 5, 2019, 06:12 AM   #11
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
I really don't see a lot of feed back anywhere on these, but they are way less expensive than the Glock factory mags. Where do they save the money? Are they worth it for practice? Are they good/reliable enough to carry? I like the look and the price, but I feel there has to be a trade-off somewhere.

Any thoughts/experiences/recommendations?

Thanks!
Had one for my G42 and the spring hung up all the time...so new round wouldn’t rise up. No amount of take apart/clean would fix it(into the trash). Have one for G43(10 rounder), works fine.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old June 5, 2019, 07:14 AM   #12
Tallest

So it look like very few, if any issues! Rats! I only ordered 5. I'll have to pay shipping to order 10-15 more. :-P

I appreciate the feedback!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old June 5, 2019, 11:46 AM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

I have some 17s and 19s. No problems with them.
Old June 5, 2019, 05:36 PM   #14
mr bolo

MAGPUL

I think MAGPUL is the best aftermarket non factory Glock magazine on the market

they always work for me

either buy OEM Glock factory mags or MAGPUL
Old June 6, 2019, 03:49 PM   #15
greentick

I used a few of the 21rd'ers at a 2gun match a few weeks ago - worked fine in my 2 day old G17.5. In fact I really liked them. I think PA had them on a great sale.
Old June 6, 2019, 05:26 PM   #16
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
Had one for my G42 and the spring hung up all the time...so new round wouldn’t rise up. No amount of take apart/clean would fix it(into the trash). Have one for G43(10 rounder), works fine.
I could not find any G42 or G43 mags listed on Magpul's website. Do you have a link to where they are available?
Old June 9, 2019, 11:17 AM   #17
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
I could not find any G42 or G43 mags listed on Magpul's website. Do you have a link to where they are available?
Ooops, my face, had to have oldest son look at the one I kept...ProMag, not Magpul, sorry.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old June 9, 2019, 12:52 PM   #18
TruthTellers

ETS makes mags for G42/43

https://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-Magazine...ock-s/1823.htm
Old June 9, 2019, 03:43 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Ooops, my face, had to have oldest son look at the one I kept...ProMag, not Magpul, sorry.
There are ProMags that work?!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old June 9, 2019, 04:02 PM   #20
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post

I bought two Beretta 92 Promags, mainly because they have the cut out for the old 92's with the mag release on the bottom of the grip.

If I can get them loaded (thats the catch ) they seem to work OK. They can be a bitch to get fully loaded, and they sound like hell if you shake them though.

I took one apart and saw why they are shakey. The follower is a crap design, and isnt stabilized on the ends, so it wants to rock fore and aft.

They are the only Pro Mags I have, and I don't plan on buying anymore. Wouldnt use them for anything serious either.

Fine for practice though, and maybe some unplanned and intermittent stoppage drills down the road.
Old June 9, 2019, 04:09 PM   #21
TunnelRat

I got one with a P228 I bought (didn't think to ask for a pic of the magazine). The body seemed fine, the follower was a bit more tippy but not terribly so, and I honestly thought it would work. Failure to feed after failure to feed. Now it might work if it had a new spring, but I'm not sure that's true. I was sort of impressed that a magazine that looks as good as it does was so poor performing. Honestly, we should get them to sell magazines to our enemies. They're missing their calling.

Old June 9, 2019, 04:31 PM   #22
AK103K

LOL. There ya go.

With the ones I have, I was thinking if I swapped out the follower for a factory follower, it might change things. Just not worth the effort at this point.
Old June 9, 2019, 04:51 PM   #23
gc70

Thanks for the clarification USNRet93 and TruthTellers for the link!
Old June 9, 2019, 05:21 PM   #24
nanney1

Just ordered 2 G17 Magpul mags from Mag Commander. $10.79 each.
Old June 10, 2019, 07:45 AM   #25
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post

Well, the first one was such a POS, I chucked it but wanted a 10 rounder for G43, so...working ok so far...

"Tools not Trophies”