The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Crashbox

Reloading the .416 Rigby and single-stage presses.

I am giving serious thought to purchasing a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby, and if I do, I will also be reloading for same.

Because the .416 Rigby is a LONG case, I have some concerns that my LnL Classic single-stage may not be adequate for at least two reasons: 1) the opening measures right at about 4", which may be quite tight for seating some of the longer bullets; and 2) should I need to full-length resize the cases, it is likely going to take a goodly amount of force to do so, and the press frame may not have sufficient strength to hold up to it.

Has anyone used the LnL single-stage press with this cartridge successfully? If so, what- if any- items of advice can you give?

I have no problem acquiring another SS press if it is needed to reload for this cartridge, even a .50 BMG SS press if necessary. Any recommendations regarding suitable SS presses (should another be needed) would also be very helpful.

Thank you very much in advance.
Old July 1, 2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I've not tried the LnL press, but would call Hornady and ask this same question of them directly. For a second press, buy the world's best bargain in single-stage presses, the Lee Classic Cast single-stage press. It is large enough in the throat for .50 BMG and has a long, adjustable for leverage handle. They make both the original version with a 2 1/4" adapter for .50 BMG dies, or their Breech Lock version which is their quick change system.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 1, 2012, 05:46 AM   #3
darkgael

Two ideas. I have loaded .416 Rigby cartridges on a Lee hand press....so leverage and effort to size should not be a problem for you. Second idea...since you will be shooting the cartridges from the same bolt gun, buy a neck sizing die and use that for the bulk of your loading. Way less effort.
Pete