The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 1, 2011, 12:24 AM   #151
paladin-34

Only my son saw the gun. It was a bryco model 380. Safety works very easy, up is safe down is fire. The problem is, in this kind of situation my focus was on the guy running at me exclusively. I knew I moved the safety but could not discern which way I was moving the safety, only that I was moving it. This lead me to look for a gun that better suited what I learned.

I initially looked at glock but could not carry cocked and locked. I now understand why glocks fit LEO uses so well, but that would not do for me. I finally settled on sig because it can be carried hammer down with an auto safety.

Joe
Old July 1, 2011, 02:42 PM   #152
TylerD45ACP

Thats intellegent to learn from that. I could see how you could get distracted and be thinking about the guy not the saftey. I still prefer the 1911 but its an interesting point. Sometimes I like DA/SA Smith and Wessons for that reason, too pipe one and keep the saftey off. This allows for a holstered gun with a heavy 1st pull. I cant help but have my 1911 45 with me mostly though .
Old July 1, 2011, 04:29 PM   #153
paladin-34

I understand, I have a 1911A1 but it’s weight is almost twice the sig. that’s like putting seven rolls of quarters in your pocket vs 4. Its also the same type of safety action I had on the broyco, safe up, shot down.

My son is a Aircraft rescue and fire first responder, now. He always tells me that in a situation we loose fine motor skills and that is what I experienced. He says police are trained to rack the slide by grasping it between their fingers, all of them, and palm. because in emergency they will not be able to grab it between their thumb and index finger. Gross motor vs fine motor. he has a list of fine motor skills he is always holding over my head. i hate racking the slide that way, its so clunky. flicking a safety off is also fine motor. i have a Ruger P-89 for Bullseye every time i bring it out he finds time to remind me that i should practice with gross motor only. that means holding it in the right hand, folding my left over it like im going to rack the slide and pulling it up or down with all fingers. but he's right.

Joe
Old July 2, 2011, 12:11 PM   #154
TylerD45ACP

Absolutley you loose fine motor skills when your adrenaline is pumping. I still advocate my 1911 but agree that your point it a vaild one. I believe there is a certain point when your adrenaline kicks in you loose fine motor control until because you are in 'Fight or Flight' but you regain control once your heart starts beating over a certain amount I forget what it is. Very interest post and idea though.
Old July 6, 2011, 10:06 AM   #155
hartlock

Been there, done this! I was approached by a man 20 years younger than
me, in a bar parking lot. We had had some words between us in the previous
couple of days. He had threatened to kill me if he ever saw me again ( this
was done by phone, in this case, my cell phone and he was stupid enough to
leave a message on my phone detailing what he was gonna do to me! ) and
when I saw him, I discreetly pulled my gun from my front pocket and held it at
my right side. He had seen the gun, apparently, and asked me if I was gonna
shoot him. I told him if he struck me, I was. He hit me in the left jaw with his
right hand and I shot him. I went to jail, of course. You can count on that,
regardless of what witnesses say, etc. But, I was eventually cleared of all
charges. So, I say, do what you gotta do, because sometimes you dont have
the time to go over all the ramifications in your mind before you are beat to a
pulp, or killed!
Old July 6, 2011, 04:58 PM   #156
TylerD45ACP

Absolutley. I would have done the same thing. I would have told him to stop where he was and if you attack me I am going to fire upon you. If he attacked I would fire. You are right, I rather be judged by 12 any day than carried by 6.
--Interesting story when I was 16-17 I was walking down the sidwalk near where I live. To my left were cars driving in the same direction I was walking. Then I turned as I heard a pop and glass shatter. I crouched behind a firehydrant because it was closest thing. My other two friends just stood up and watched. Anyway, a black man was firing a 22-32 caliber at the car behind him (couldn't have been any bigger) and I saw the rounds popping through the windshield of the guys car and some seemed to be deflecting. The passenger of the following car hangs out his window and yells "shoot at me with that piece of sH&^", then opens fire with what looked like a model 36snub 38spl., hitting a tail light, thats all I saw. I was no more than 15ft. from the cars and had a clear view of the whole shootout, maybe 15 rounds total discharged. They drove out of sight at lightning speed and were apprehended shortly after. Luckily no one was hit there were alot of innocents around including children. But man it was INTENSE! I later found out it was some stupid gang stuff.
Old July 6, 2011, 06:27 PM   #157
Molly429

Although the factor of being responsible for securing your weapon - preventing anyone from taking control of it - goes with the issued discussion, and it is considered in this thread, imho, the enormous importance of that factor is not adequately subjected.

For a variety of real reasons, a lot of people are simply unable to fight, or run.

When that is the case, the danger of an aggressor disarming and murdering the CCW with his or her own weapon - and/or murdering or otherwise endangering others with it - is an immediate and paramount, very realistic concern.

The commonplace potential for the described scenario and circumstance accompanies all law abiding - especially senior and otherwise handicapped - adult citizens who elect to defend themselves from predatory, aggressive BG's.

Again, the tremendous responsibility of the CCW is to keep their weapon secure in all respects, certainly preventing any occasion of it being taken from them: that very real danger must be guarded with a preventative resolution to use the weapon on an unarmed mugger, when the latter aggressively deprives the CCW from employing any other preventative recourse.

Does not the vigilant qualification: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident' , find a justifiably emphatic place in this proposed dilemma?
Old July 6, 2011, 06:57 PM   #158
TylerD45ACP

Thats a very good point about weapon retention Molly. You make some very valid points their like ones weapon being used against them. The handicapped and elderly have a disadvantage as you said as well in not being able to fight. I remember watching a man beat a 90yr old man without mercy to steal his car. He kept beating and beating him when he already could have taken the car. The video was very sad and difficult to watch and I felt horribly for the 90yr old man. He cant really defend himself or fight back so what does he do? He needs a means of defense but it could also be used against him. The there was a case of a 71yr old man who a robber 'thought' would be a easy victim but was mistaken. The 71yr. old Ex-Marine beat the BG up and he was restrained until authorities could arrive. Good post, shows how responsible you really need to be.
Old July 6, 2011, 07:04 PM   #159
DiscoRacing

I worry more about whether or not my guns Im carrying will be big enough...

...Sorry...Little humor there....

...those who know me will laugh.
Old July 6, 2011, 07:39 PM   #160
TylerD45ACP

Yep they will. The problem is you will be disarmed at 90yrs old because you couldnt lift your (S&W 500) fast enough. Luckily you pulled your BUG (Desert Eagle .44) and thwarted the attack. Good thing you didnt have to use your BackupBUG (Ruger .357). You still have the custom box of Goodies lol, can I see that pic again.