The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 25, 2018, 04:30 AM   #1
Model12Win

.22 Home Defense Build

Okay guys, this one's just for fun:

If you HAD to build and setup a .22 rifle for home defense, what would it be and what accessories or features would it have on it? What ammo would you use?

I'd do a Ruger 10/22 carbine with FAB Defense tactical stock, Streamlight TLR-1 weapons light, Aimpoint T1 red dot sight, factory BX-25 magazines, Magpul RVG vertical grip, and I'd use either CCI Mini Mag 40 grain solids. I'd also want an extended charging handle and magazine release for easier and faster loading and reloading.

Again, please don't be a boob and post negative things towards this. This is just for fun so we can spur a discussion on using .22 rifles for home defense, possibly for weak or elderly people etc. etc.

Thoughts?
Old August 25, 2018, 05:07 AM   #2
jmr40

I've long said that a 10/22 with a 15-25 round mag loaded with 40 gr RN ammo would be a decent choice for HD or as a survival rifle. Certainly better than nothing.

I tend to subscribe to the KISS principle. I like a low powered 1-4X conventional scope left on 1X a lot better than dot sights. Some way to mount a light is a good idea,but other than that I'd probably leave it as is.

I have an AR set up with a 1-4X scope with a mounted light for that role. Using the light with the scope works very well and if I had to could see well enough to hit targets from 5 to over 50 yards. No reason a 22 couldn't do the same.

Winston Churchill
Old August 25, 2018, 06:46 AM   #3
Mobuck

"Again, please don't be a boob and post negative things towards this."

OK
So I'll put it this way: if a 22 semi-auto rifle is ALL you have, it's better than nothing.
Old August 25, 2018, 07:18 AM   #4
9x19

Like this:

or this:

Old August 25, 2018, 08:38 AM   #5
Ruga Booga

Last edited by Ruga Booga; August 25, 2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old August 25, 2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Mike38

A bone stock Ruger 10/22 stainless with plastic stock. Save the money spent on a needless tacticool stock and buy a case of CCI Mini Mags.
Old August 25, 2018, 12:50 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...I'd use either CCI Mini Mag 40 grain solids..." Don't restrict yourself to one brand until you have tried as many brands as you can. The CCI stuff may not be accurate out of your rifle. Try a box of every hypervelocity ammo.
Think I'd forget the solids (which Mini-Mags are not. Gilding is not a jacket.) too. Even though a .22 bullet will break up upon impact, it may not penetrate enough to do much damage. A hypervelocity HP will do more damage. However, accuracy and reliability is far more important.
Red dot sights don't give good enough shot placement. The Aimpoint T1 has a 2 or 4 MOA dot. Either one will completely cover the entire black of a standard sighting target at 100 yards.
If you can't deal with whatever woke you up with 25 rounds, a second or third mag isn't going to help. And what your building is big kid's toy. Not a serious defensive tool.
Old August 25, 2018, 01:17 PM   #8
ThomasT

Quote:
A bone stock Ruger 10/22 stainless with plastic stock. Save the money spent on a needless tacticool stock and buy a case of CCI Mini Mags.
Best answer so far. Add a 25 round mag and that should be all you need. And I have that exact rifle.
Old August 25, 2018, 01:20 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

I doubt accuracy will be an issue at home defense ranges.
While the 10/22 is probably the best choice, they can still be a little unwieldy for some.
I have built a couple of Marlin/Glenfield model 60s that would qualify for small or elderly people. 16" barrel, cut down mag tube, shortened stock. The last one even has a trap door bullet space in the stock.
Old August 25, 2018, 01:32 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Rossi 62SAC "Gallery". No mods/accessories.
Simplicity. 13+ rounds.
Compact.

If you had to talk me into semi-auto, since this does happen to be the semi-auto forum, I might seriously consider a Remington 24/241 or Browning SA-22. You can do whatever you want to the front of the rifle, without losing any utility, function, or capacity, since all of the important bits are in the receiver and/or stock. It can be operated one-handed with even a small amount of practice. And it ejects empties straight down - not to the side, with potential to ricochet and smack you in the eye, or bounce off a wall and back into the action. (Sounds far-fetched to some people, but I've seen it plenty of times with Marlin 60s and Ruger 10/22s at ranges, off benches with ammo cans nearby, and even with cases bouncing off trees and back into the action.)

Yes, both of the above use tube magazines. I figure if more than one magazine is required for the job, then we're in fantasy land and talking about zombies, or I should have started running sooner (and grabbed something other than a .22).
Old August 25, 2018, 02:36 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

I bought my wife (then fiancee) a Norinco Browning .22 copy as she is left-eye dominant. Cut the barrel to 16" for faster handling. Nice little gun.
Old August 25, 2018, 02:54 PM   #12
Kvon2

My current set up for my Remington 597 would probably be it.

I added a pic rail under the barrel and have an angled foregrip attached. I have a cheap red dot that I bought on eBay years ago and its amazing(for the price). It says "FM" on the side of it but no other markings. Anyone know what brand that is?

Anywho, a fun and accurate set up. With the right ammo its very reliable.
Old August 25, 2018, 10:57 PM   #13
kenny53

I think a 22 rifle would be great for HD. I have 10-22's and Marlin model 60's that would be great and I am sure they would leave a mark. Think about it, 10- 25 rounds of 22's solids, or maybe stingers would make a bad guy think twice with all the little holes leaking from their body. To answer the OP'S question, I would leave the gun stock. I am not big on putting extra stuff on guns, but I am a curmudgeon
Old August 26, 2018, 02:32 AM   #14
Webleymkv

Ruger 10/22 40th Anniversary model (sythetic stock and fiber optic sights)

Weapolight of choice (Streamlight TLR-1 for me)

Ruger 10 round rotary mags (not had good luck with BX-25's)

CCI Velocitor ammo
Old August 26, 2018, 04:11 AM   #15
COSteve

Simple. Mini-14. It's a 22 caliber weapon.
Old August 26, 2018, 10:45 AM   #16
Jim Watson

If you are reduced to a .22 for home defense, you probably can't afford all the tackytickle stuff. My 10-22 would be fine.
Old August 26, 2018, 11:40 AM   #17
2wheelwander

Personally, the only tacticool item I see as standard for home defense is a one point sling for retention purposes. If I'm creeping through my house or turn a corner I want my firearm firmly attached to me and not readily taken away in a struggle, even hands off.
Old August 26, 2018, 04:38 PM   #18
chaim

Wood stocked 10/22. The 10/22 is the most reliable .22lr rifle I've shot. I'd use the largest magazine (or 2 or 3) that prove to be reliable in that particular rifle, whether they are 10 round stock mags, 15 or 25 rounders. I might attach a light, I'm not usually a big fan of weapon mounted lights, but with a long gun a handheld light will be difficult. I'd also use CCI Mini-mags since they are the most reliable rimfire rounds I've shot in any .22's I've owned or used, unless something else worked better in that particular gun (I don't currently have a 10/22 so I can't say what works in my gun). I would avoid HP since maximizing penetration with a lower powered caliber like .22lr is important (they aren't known for deep penetration), and for the same reason, I'd go with the highest grain weight that is practical (that works in my gun).
Old August 26, 2018, 05:05 PM   #19
Pathfinder45

Some of this sounds like folks are expecting a burglar to break in during the night for the sole purpose of engaging in a fire-fight. I don't believe that ever happens. If a burglar breaks into your home, it will be to steal something when you are not home. In the case that the thief is mistaken and, "Surprise!", you really are home, and you happen to have a gun in hand,..... Well, that's not what they came for. They don't want to see you; they don't want to be seen by you. Unless you are an heir to a fortune or something like it, you are not likely their target.
So, I'm thinking that having an unaltered Ruger or Marlin, loaded with reliable ammo, and in your hands, will be as good as anything else and probably a lot better than some other options.
For ammo, I prefer solid-points as they are generally less fragile, although there are some HP versions than have more of a slight dimple in the point than a real hollow cavity. Reliability of ammo in the gun of choice is the key, here. As for the brand of ammo, CCI sets the standard, yet it's my third choice that I know I can always fall back on, so ya gotta have some. Certain production lines of Winchester-Western ammo have been the very best 22LR ammo I have ever shot; better than CCI, better than Tenex. For my second choice, some of the Federal ammo is awfully good and I would choose some of that from a well-proven carton before most other options.
So, yes, I think that a 22LR carbine would be an excellent tool for the job. But lose the tacticool accessories; even a scope would be unnecessary indoors.

Last edited by Pathfinder45; August 26, 2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old August 26, 2018, 06:11 PM   #20
ThomasT

You don't need to "build" a 22 rifle for home defense. What a silly idea. A 22 rifle as long as it is reliable is just fine right out of the box. The gunwriter Clay Harvey wrote about this long ago and made the point that a 22 rifle firing 17-18 rounds in a group the size of an orange as fast as you can pull the trigger is damn effective.

And you don't need any kiddo stocks or add on crap to do that. A few years ago not far from me two punks decided to do a home invasion on an older gentleman. What they forgot to factor in is that he might be armed. And he was. With a 5 shot NAA mini revolver. He shot both of them from his recliner. They were carted off in an ambulance. He stated he would have "shot them more if he had of had more bullets".

I had an acquaintance that was killed because he followed a neighbor into his house and was making threats. The neighbor grabbed a loaded 22 rifle and shot him to death. The "acquaintance" was known to carry a gun. This time he wasn't. Oh well.

I actually have a 10-22 loaded for just this reason. It is a bone stock rifle with a 10 round magazine. I don't want a scope or red dot covering up my field of view. Just a way to look down the barrel and see the center of an attackers chest so I can unload my rifle into it. Good enough.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:38 PM   #21
davidsog

Quote:
If you HAD to build and setup a .22 rifle for home defense, what would it be and what accessories or features would it have on it?
Duct tape a 12 gauge to it circa late 1980's Ranger Bn style...

Quote:
What ammo would you use?
00 buck...
Old August 26, 2018, 09:08 PM   #22
dakota.potts

I don't think I'd "build" a .22 for home defense. I want one that's as short and light as possible with as many rounds as it will reliably feed in semi-automatic. A simple red dot or even fiber optic sights will do fine. If I'm using a rifle for home defense, it's because I'm hunkering down behind my bedroom door (locked, as are all the other entrances) waiting for the police to arrive with the rifle pointed at the door hoping that the offender doesn't make it through. In that case, if we look at the situation reasonably, one could honestly likely get the job done without any sights.

All the other stuff is toy stuff for me. Give me the shortest rifle that puts the most rounds out the fastest reliably. I don't care if it has smoothbore musket accuracy at that distance, it will certainly do the job.

A bone-stock Ruger 10-22 would do just fine. Even better would be a Ruger Charger pistol with a 25-round magazine. If I have to go fancy, an open-style red dot sight and maybe a flashlight.

Contrary to popular belief, making your .22 look more like a battle rifle doesn't make it more effective. Otherwise, you'd be best suited dropping it into one of those machine gun dress-up kits.
Old August 26, 2018, 09:08 PM   #23
ThomasT

Oh hell forget it.
Old August 27, 2018, 12:14 AM   #24
KWMerican

"Think I'd forget the solids ... too. Even though a .22 bullet will break up upon impact, it may not penetrate enough to do much damage."

Au contraire. .22 do not break up on impact, and when fired out of a rifle, a 40 grain round nose has plenty of penetration power. (not the case when fired from a pistol)

Here's a typical effect fired from 10 feet out of a Ruger 10/22 rifle:
Track: After perforating the skin and soft tissues of the chest, the bullet perforates the sternum at the level of the third rib, the medial upper lobe of the right lung, the anterior right pericardium, the proximal ascending aorta (creating a 1 inch jagged defect of the aortic wall), the anterior and posterior right atrial walls, the right pulmonary vein, the lateral right pericardium, the medial lower lobe of the right lung, exits the posterior lower lobe of the right lung, perforates the eighth intercostal muscle and ninth rib posteriorly, then penetrates into the right back skeletal muscle.

Bullet Recovery: A distorted unjacketed bullet is recovered from the right back skeletal muscle approximately 18 inches below the top of the head and 2-1/2 inches right of midline.

They guy dropped dead in 7 paces.

So, penetrated the sternum (super tough), pericardial sack (really tough tissue), atrial chamber and aorta (again, really tough tissue), and through a back rib (thickest part of the rib.)
Old August 27, 2018, 07:10 AM   #25
davidsog

Quote:
Here's a typical effect
Very tough to support factually. The only in-depth study on caliber vs lethality basically concluded there is no difference in lethality from a .22 caliber to a .45 caliber bullet.

Lethality is almost the same no matter what the caliber.

That is not the significance of the study.

The significant fact is that the smaller .22 caliber to .32 caliber experienced a 50% higher failure to stop rate.

So while your bullet is just as lethal if it hits something vital, you have twice the chance of shooting an attacker and having no significant effect on their attack.

That is twice the chance their attack can be effective on you compared to other calibers.