The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2009, 02:33 PM   #1
newguy07

set up location

Just ordered my a lee classic press and the whole set up with it and am decideing where to locate my stuff. I would like to do it in the basement but not sure if this is an ok place to store powders/primers etc? Is a basement too humid will it ruin things? My basement is partially finished, doesn't really leak water or antything. I also have a gas furnace in the basement in a seperate room if that matters.
Old September 6, 2009, 02:54 PM   #2
bignz

Powder should be fine in containers - not so sure about primers. The biggest thing will be if you start seeing rust spots on your press and other tools. If that were a problem I would look for another place or work on dehumidifying the basement. I reload as a hobby and take pride in keeping all the tools in tip top shape, I've seen others who don't take it as seriously and they don't mind at all if their stuff deteriorates and they have to replace...and they are good people and get what they need out of their stuff, it's just not my style.
Old September 6, 2009, 02:56 PM   #3
sc928porsche

I dont see why you cant use the basement for a reloding set up. Many use their garages. It would be a good idea to open a window a little when you are down there just for some fresh air. I do keep my powder and primers stored in a cool dry room however that is separate from my reloading area.