The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 16, 2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Chowder

Liberating an AR-15

This thread may be premature as I am still waiting for the parts. But I am liberating an unassembled AR from my brother in Massachusetts. He bought all the parts to build an AR just weeks before the MA attorney general unilaterally decided that assembling one is now illegal. It has been sitting in boxes since then. I live in Texas and after no signs of the law in MA breaking I am buying it from him.

Mostly Rock River pats and some bravo company. I have not owned and AR since I fell into some financial issues years ago and sold all but 2 of my firearms. It is depressing my brother couldn't build his AR but at least its staying in the family. If the laws ever change up there I suppose I can sell it back to him lol.

Don't mind the dust. It will see life soon.
Old September 16, 2018, 09:36 PM   #2
gshayd

It has been liberated....
Old September 17, 2018, 06:48 AM   #3
Mobuck

How unfortunate that citizens allow themselves to be subjugated by stupid politicians.
Old September 17, 2018, 08:08 AM   #4
Chowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
How unfortunate that citizens allow themselves to be subjugated by stupid politicians.
It is horrible for sure. The worst part is none of this was voted on. The AG just decided the law had been interpreted wrong all these years on her own. She made a decision and overnight everyones rifle was illegal and if my brother assembled hos legally purchased parts he would have been a felon.

It's sad what happened to an otherwise great place to live, but I am glad I moved to Texas.
Old September 17, 2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Mobuck

BTW
Looks like the lower is "dried out". You need to wipe some CLP on it to darken it back to normal. Or dunk it and let it drip dry for a few days.
Old September 17, 2018, 01:28 PM   #6
Chowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
BTW
Looks like the lower is "dried out". You need to wipe some CLP on it to darken it back to normal. Or dunk it and let it drip dry for a few days.
Yup probably dry and a bit dusty. It will get some TLC soon!
Old September 17, 2018, 04:10 PM   #7
kraigwy

just squirt something along the lines of Rem Oil on bolt and bolt carrier, they work the action a few times.

OR, like I did to my M16A1 more then once, shooting full auto tell the barrel was almost red. I'd squirt the GI bug juice or insect oil, flooding the bolt and kept going.

Even used water at times.

Regardless I never had her quit on me. Dont shoot like that any more, a light coating of oil works on my ARs for me now. When I lived on the Arctic Coast, in the winter I ran them dry.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 17, 2018, 06:20 PM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder View Post
This thread may be premature as I am still waiting for the parts. But I am liberating an unassembled AR from my brother in Massachusetts. He bought all the parts to build an AR just weeks before the MA attorney general unilaterally decided that assembling one is now illegal. It has been sitting in boxes since then. I live in Texas and after no signs of the law in MA breaking I am buying it from him.
How much did it cost for your brother to ship the lower to your dealer and how much was the FFL transfer? I ask only because it might have been cheaper for your brother to hold onto it in case the laws change and for you to buy a new lower locally.
Old September 17, 2018, 07:29 PM   #9
berettaprofessor

Don’t reply “he just gave it to me”, don’t reply “he just gave it to me”...

Seriously Chowder, if your brother just gave it to you, don’t answer theohazard on this public forum.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:07 PM   #10
Chowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
How much did it cost for your brother to ship the lower to your dealer and how much was the FFL transfer? I ask only because it might have been cheaper for your brother to hold onto it in case the laws change and for you to buy a new lower locally.
25 dollars to do the transfer, didn't ask how much the shipping was but I can't Imagine it was that much. The parts have been sitting for 2 years and there is zero sign of the laws changing so it was just bumming him out big time. Now it will get used, and he will be able to shoot it when he visits.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:11 PM   #11
Chowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor View Post
Don’t reply “he just gave it to me”, don’t reply “he just gave it to me”...

Seriously Chowder, if your brother just gave it to you, don’t answer theohazard on this public forum.
Well... Technically right now he just gave it to me haha. But hes digging up receipts and I am going to give him roughly what he has into it. Unless the prices have changes significantly in the past 2 years.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:20 PM   #12
Chowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
just squirt something along the lines of Rem Oil on bolt and bolt carrier, they work the action a few times.

OR, like I did to my M16A1 more then once, shooting full auto tell the barrel was almost red. I'd squirt the GI bug juice or insect oil, flooding the bolt and kept going.

Even used water at times.

Regardless I never had her quit on me. Dont shoot like that any more, a light coating of oil works on my ARs for me now. When I lived on the Arctic Coast, in the winter I ran them dry.
Just bought some Rem-oil for this rifle lol. I use ballistol on most of my firearms but always like Rem-oil for my old AR that I no longer have.

Speaking of AR's and Alaska, here is a pic my first AR making its first shots at the range on Fort Richardson. I was stationed at Elmendorf from 2008-2014. There is no place like Alaska!

Old September 17, 2018, 09:35 PM   #13
marine6680

I believe the concern is...

You can not legally buy a firearm across state lines without an FFL getting involved. Being that you live in Texas and he lives in Massachusetts... If you bought it without the FFL... That can get you in trouble.

You can gift a firearm, and I am not sure if gifts to family members falls under that situation though. It's not a "sale" but I haven't looked into that one. So if he gave you the lower as a gift, then an FFL may not be needed.

Last edited by marine6680; September 17, 2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:40 PM   #14
Chowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post

You can not legally buy a firearm across state lines without an FFL getting involved. Being that you live in Texas and he lives in Massachusetts... If you bought it without the FFL... That can get you in trouble.

You can gift a firearm, and I am not sure if gifts to family members falls under that situation though. It's not a "sale" but I haven't looked into that one. So if he gave you the lower as a gift, then an FFL may not be needed.
I always go through an FFL. I have already mentioned the $25 transfer fee. He is shipping the lower to my local shop this week, the other parts are on the way.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:41 PM   #15
marine6680

That's the safest route even if it's allowed...

Also... Remoil is too light for an AR... Well, if you lube often and clean it often it can work... But Remoil will drain away and burn out faster due to being thin.

I recommend something thicker for an AR.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:46 PM   #16
Chowder

Quote:
That's the safest route even if it's allowed...

Also... Remoil is too light for an AR... Well, if you lube often and clean it often it can work... But Remoil will drain away and burn out faster due to being thin.

I recommend something thicker for an AR.
I have never had an issue with it, but they were pretty light duty. If I decided to put this one through its paces I would go with something a bit heavier. Haven't used it on an AR but I used nothing but ballistol on a Glock that I was pretty hard on for roughly 15k rounds. Funny you mention this as I am right now looking at various types of gun grease lol. Can't stop reading and researching when I have a new gun on the way!
Old September 17, 2018, 09:57 PM   #17
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder View Post
25 dollars to do the transfer, didn't ask how much the shipping was but I can't Imagine it was that much.
OK, then you probably came out ahead then. I asked because some places charge a lot more than that.

Quote:

Under federal law there are no exceptions for gifts or for family members. All interstate private transfers must go through an FFL. The only exemptions are for firearms transferred through a will or bequest, or for temporary loans for sporting purposes.
Old September 17, 2018, 10:05 PM   #18
Chowder

Quote:
OK, then you probably came out ahead then. I asked because some places charge a lot more than that.
Yeah they are very reasonable. If it was a bit more I probably still would have done it. He has been staring at it for 2 years and I have been wanting a similar rifle. I don't mind spending a just a few more dollars so he can at least shoot the rifle he was trying to build. Irritates me thinking about it, just woke up one day, turned on the news, and the damn this is illegal instantly.

But all will be well, now I just need to set aside time to assemble it between work, family and going back to college . I am sure I will be picking everyone's brains on here.
Old September 17, 2018, 10:54 PM   #19
marine6680

I wasn't sure... Being that they used the interstate trade regulation thing to push the need for FFL for sales between states, I wasn't sure if something that isn't a sale qualifies.

Lube/oil...

Glocks can handle lack of good lubrication pretty well. While lubrication is desired, they can run without it. So even light lubrication works very well.

If you do want something a bit more heavy duty for your AR... Slip 2k makes great CLP type lubes. Non toxic as well as being reasonably priced, unlike some of the "wonder" lubes that cost $20 for a couple ounces. You can get Slip 2k in a 16oz bottle for $25 online.

I use lubriplate SFL grease when I want a grease, but it's hard to find in reasonable amounts. When you can it's cheap though... Food safe, and very high performance lubrication properties.

The ALG Go Juice grease works pretty well and it nice and thin, so it works in a wide range of applications.
Old September 18, 2018, 06:59 AM   #20
Mobuck

To add my opinion--don't go "light" on the lube. Either volume or viscosity.
For break-in, forget all you've heard about using too much or too thick lube. You're not heading into combat in some Siberian tundra or talcum powder desert, you're shooting the gun to work out the hitches so lube the heck out of it. All the extra will drip, blow, or ooze out and then be cleaned up later.
Old September 18, 2018, 09:55 AM   #21
sundog

Just about any of the synthetic motor oils work well as gun lube anywhere other than places grease or antiseize is recommended. Will not substitute as a bore solvent however.

Cheaper than CLP and a quart bottle lasts forever. My favorite is Mobil Synthetic 5-30 - bought a bottle years ago when my CLP ran out, and haven't looked back.
Old September 18, 2018, 02:21 PM   #22
marine6680

Motor oil works, but I would not use it unless it was an emergency.

The additives in the oil are designed for use in a sealed system, and for an engine environment. CLPs allow for some additives that work better in a firearm.
Old September 20, 2018, 10:18 AM   #23
sundog

"CLPs allow for some additives that work better in a firearm."

Can't prove it by me. If CLP wasn't so expensive, I'd probably still be using it. Same goes for many other 'magic' products for firearms maintenance that demand high dollar, much of which is marketing hype.

I'm also an avid user of Ed's Red (that I make myself). And ATF is made for transmissions - but it works for other stuff, too.

Call me cheap, but my stuff is fully functional and reliable.
Old September 22, 2018, 02:28 AM   #24
marine6680

Slip 2k is relatively cheap... It's not $5 a quart cheap, but $25 for a 16oz bottle is cheap for quality gun lube. I can handle a once every year or two purchase like that. Actually it tends to last at least 2 years usually. But I do buy the standard and the EWL version. EWL is more expensive, bit it works very well. The best gun lube I have tried. It stays in place and even if left in storage for several months, I can pull out one of my ARs and not worry one bit about the lubrication. And then go shoot a few hundred rounds... Throw the rifle back into the safe, and then maybe in a few more months when I decide to take that particular one out to the range again, shoot a few hundred more rounds without worry about the lubrication. And it cleans up well afterwards... Plus it isn't based on bio products, like frog line and others, which have a shelf life and will spoil over time... This is why frog lube gums up actions if it gets down inside small hard to clean parts. It oxidizes and basically spoils and goes rancid, which turns it into a thick sticky gunk.

Slip 2k is what was used in the Filthy 14 rifle test.

It's also non toxic.

Motor oil and ATF are not so lacking in toxicity.

For my firearms that are not ARs I use Lubriplate food safe oil and grease. It's industrial, so cheap. The problem is finding reasonable amounts and not multi gallon sizes. The grease is aluminium based rather than lithium, which is a superior grease base. The oil is just quality stuff. Food safe ratings are strict and require the product to work, after being applied, and then all ecess being removed. Basically you apply the line and then wipe it off with a dry rag, leaving a very small amount on the part. That is required for food safe use, then it still has to lube properly.

Lots of products work as a good lube on firearms... I just prefer to use products that are as safe as possible. I have enough chemical exposure at work.
Old October 25, 2018, 08:17 PM   #25
Chowder

Thanks again for all the info everyone. Well its been one month, a broken down truck, a burst irrigation line and midterms later, but I got it together! Going to finally shoot it next weekend. Today I spent a good amount of time just cycling it by hand getting everything lubed up and maybe a tad bit broken in.

Turns out I still remembered how to assemble one of these and I didn't launch a single detent or spring so it was a good day . I love the look of the A2 guards and stock and was going to use the A2 grips but the BCM grips just feel so nice to me. I also used a fine stone to clean up the rough mil-spec trigger, nothing crazy but took the roughness out of it. I plan on upgrading that later.