The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2009, 12:19 AM   #1
Phil3

Forster Co-Ax Press? Is This Normal?

I recently received a new Forster Co-Ax press. I found the lower part of the two steel guide rods heavily scratched and gouged (IMHO). See pic. Some of the marks are deep enough to catch your fingernail on. The press appears to operate normally.

I contacted Forster, sent them the pic seen here, and they wanted the unit returned to them. They called and said not as bad as they thought, press works fine, and basically said it was OK. They will replace rods, but still, their attitude that is was not so bad surprised me. Forster said the rods are like hydraulic cylinder rams and scratches show up easily. The damage is not from operation, as the marks go clear to the end of the rods where nothing touches them.

Any Forster owners care to comment on what they see here on 36A. 42A is the other end of the rods and these are pretty clean.

- Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0036A.jpg (172.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0042A.jpg (170.7 KB, 117 views)
Old November 20, 2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Tex S

Hmmm... I never noticed that on mine. Doesn't look too serious though. Don't sweat it; you're gonna love that press. In my opinion, it is the best, most well designed single stage press on the market. No other press comes close.
Old November 20, 2009, 12:31 AM   #3
Phil3

If you don't mind, could you tell me if yours is like mine? I am just trying to establish if what I am seeing is the norm. I am brand new to reloading and not sure what to expect on tools such as this. Obviously they are not going to be flawlessly machined everywhere, but I expected more than this.

Note the marks at the very end of the rods, which is a part that does not go through the frame.

- Phil
Old November 20, 2009, 12:54 AM   #4
Tex S

I just went out to the garage to take a look, and no, mine is not like that.
Old November 20, 2009, 01:38 AM   #5
Phil3

I expect the rods on your Co-Ax look like the 42A pic? - Phil
Old November 20, 2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Kiwi Hunter

Looks like the operator assembling your press dragged the rod over something gritty or perhaps dropped it and stood on it etc. He then gave it a wipe and got on with the job.

Its not pretty for a new item and should not have gone out, but they are replacing the rods - sorted! I guess its what you get for buying a press that was made by a human being

Dont let this put you off Forster gear - all the bits I have are well made and function excellently.
Old November 20, 2009, 02:51 AM   #7
Nomo4me

You are worrying about nothing significant. It's not a showpiece. Load up some really accurate ammo and fuhgedaboudit.
Old November 20, 2009, 03:21 AM   #8
Seedtick

Quote:
Forster Co-Ax Press? Is This Normal?
Well, yes, I'm afraid it is.

Quote:
Kiwi Hunter Looks like the operator assembling your press dragged the rod over something gritty or perhaps dropped it and stood on it etc. He then gave it a wipe and got on with the job.
I think Kiwi Hunter may be on to somthing.

Seems there is at least 1 in every company that takes no pride in their work. And it reflects poorly on the company as a whole even one with a stellar reputation for quality products like Forster.

ST
Old November 20, 2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Phil3

It is not possible to illustrate in a photo, but some of the marks in the rod are so deep, it could not possibly be caused by dropping the rod and stepping on it or some other minor incident. Besides, the other rod looks similar, albeit not quite as bad. The scarring is fairly deep, with some gouges not even in line with the rod...they run off at angles (see the pic). Honestly, it looks like they were forced through a tight bore with sand in it.

Unfortunately, this is another example of too many firearm parts I have purchased over the last year with poor quality control which had to be returned.

- Phil
Old November 20, 2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Pongo

I don't own a Forster press so I can't compare.

Those scratches do look quite deep from what I can see and if I had received a new press in that condition I would not be happy.

I hope it all works out to your satisfaction.
Old November 20, 2009, 04:24 PM   #11
GP100man

probably happened when the cold rolled stock was extruded & was deeper than the finishing polishing could remove.

2 cent worth , I would have wanted em replaced to . especially after spending $$ for a new 1. 3 cent worth!!
Old November 21, 2009, 10:22 PM   #12
BigJakeJ1s

Mine does not look like that. As long as the scratches were created before polishing, they should be OK and not cause any problems with accuracy or longevity. In other words, a cosmetic defect.

Enjoy your new press, it is a fantastic one, cosmetic defects and all.

Andy