The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Tex S

3 month hiatus

I'm just coming off a 3 month hiatus from reloading. My setup is in the garage, and the Texas heat has kept me from getting anything done.

The good news is that we are seeing temperatures in the 60's tonight, so I figured I would load a few boxes.
Including setting up my Lee Classic Turret Press (adding primers, making sure the powder throw was on, etc.), I was able to squeeze out 100 rounds of 45 auto in a little over an hour.

I'm glad to be back!!!
Old August 31, 2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Jim243

Welcome back Tex
Old August 31, 2009, 06:14 AM   #3
QBall45

This here is the reason to put your reloading setup in the house. Set up in a spare bedroom. Don't have one? Send one of the kids to the garage.

Try moving your setup to the basement. I did. Now I get to load year round.
Old August 31, 2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Sevens

Fortunately for you the forum keeps ALL the posts and threads. So you only have about 30 pages to go through!
Old August 31, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5
LHB1

Quote: "Try moving your setup to the basement. I did. Now I get to load year round. "

Very few houses in TX have basements. In 71 years, I've never been in one with a basement.
Old August 31, 2009, 11:05 AM   #6
dsv424

Unfortunately in North Texas we don't have the luxury of basements because of shifting ground none of the house builders put in basements here. But I simply got rid of my pool table in the extra room and do my reloading there. Didn't play much pool anyway it was for the kids, and there gone now.
Old August 31, 2009, 03:05 PM   #7
RickV

I am in the same boat as Tex S. Only I live in N. Florida. I loaded a lot before it got hot about 3000 rounds and it has got me thru the summer but my stock is running low. We had a cool morning last Saturday so I went out in the garage and loaded up some experimental 45acp loads using Power Pistol. Went to the range yesterday to check em out. I decided on the load now I need a few days of cool weather to load em along with my other calibers.
Old August 31, 2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Tex S

What's a basement?

Trust me boys, I've tried everything to get my reloading gear in the house.

She shuts me down everytime.

Sucks too because our "guest room" is completely empty 360 days a year. We never have guests. What a waste of space. If I had it my way I would tell the guests to sleep on the couch.
Old September 4, 2009, 12:12 PM   #9
vsgonzo

I here ya! I'm in Houston and the garage as been unbareable to reload in.
Last night I spent an hour just depriming .223/5.56 rounds so i can swage them and trim them another day. Then I'll spend an hour to load them on the dillion 650.

I like my brass like I like my women and thats trimmed, but just like women they are a pain to deal with.

my next house will have a reloaders dream room lol
Old September 4, 2009, 02:02 PM   #10
TheNatureBoy

Understood! The heat and humidity up here in Virginia is stiffling to say the least. I managed to get a little bit done reloading wise but not much. The same for going to the range. I do appreciate the cooler temperatures that September brings.
Old September 4, 2009, 07:31 PM   #11
rn22723

Compromise.....Create a Man Cave.....complete with fold out couch......so it can maintain Guest Room status....and serve you in case you sent to the Dog House!
Old September 4, 2009, 08:27 PM   #12
wvshooter

I've got an air conditioner in my insulated garage but here in WVa it's still too hot to do anything out here in the middle of the summer. I need a bigger air conditioner. I don't know what I was thinking when I installed the small one. Oh well, just one more thing I gotta do some day.
Old September 5, 2009, 01:44 PM   #13
awaveritt

Here in Austin, we've just had the hottest July/August on record. I go out and load a few, come back in and re-hydrate, take a deep breath and head back out. Any operation that can be done indoors I do - then head out to the press. So I feel you Tex S. I, too, can't wait til fall.
Old September 5, 2009, 02:34 PM   #14
awaveritt

Quote:
I like my brass like I like my women and thats trimmed, but just like women they are a pain to deal with.

my next house will have a reloaders dream room lol
I just read your post to my wife and she says, "he might not have a women in his next house" (lol)
Old September 6, 2009, 11:23 AM   #15
vsgonzo

lol I don't have one now in the house!!! I keep my stuff where ever I want lol.

On a serious note the guys that have to put of with a woman or women in the house I appluad ya'll. My girl is constantly complaining about all my junk/hobbies around my house. I just tell her when she owns/helping me pay my house payment then I'll comprimise. till then I call the shots. Lol (yes I know I'm not superman!!! I sometimes have to put the tail between the legs and slowly walk to the dog house)
Old September 6, 2009, 12:47 PM   #16
RickV

Quote:
lol I don't have one now in the house!!! I keep my stuff where ever I want lol.

On a serious note the guys that have to put of with a woman or women in the house I appluad ya'll. My girl is constantly complaining about all my junk/hobbies around my house. I just tell her when she owns/helping me pay my house payment then I'll comprimise. till then I call the shots. Lol (yes I know I'm not superman!!! I sometimes have to put the tail between the legs and slowly walk to the dog house)
This where you are going to end up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twivg7GkYts
Old September 6, 2009, 03:02 PM   #17
sc928porsche

Start moving the stuff into your bedroom. It wont take long for her to let you set up in the spare one!
Old September 7, 2009, 02:19 PM   #18
buffalo

I'm originally from SW Florida and we don't have basements either,now i'm in AZ and they don't have them either,atleast not in Phoenix. I just keep going in and out doing a handfull each trip,i can't wait till it get's below 90 here,my wife will never see me