The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 21, 2018, 12:04 PM   #1
homegunsmithunger

Homemade Innovative Receiver for the Ruger 10/22

Hey Guys!

My name ist Sebastian, I am 28 years old and my passion is firearms design.

I have built a new receiver for the Ruger 10/22 that allows the user to disassemble and assemble the gun within seconds without any tools.

Here you can see a video about the receiver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t92UekqAFE0

Pete from THEFIREARMBLOG wrote a great report about it:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...22-innovation/

The receiver is not available at the moment, because I am just a private person with a "normal" job, that has nothing to do with guns, but I am sure it is possible to a find a company to produce it in license, if the demand is high enough.

Please let me know what you think about receiver, I really appreciate every support and every comment.

Last edited by homegunsmithunger; June 21, 2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old June 21, 2018, 12:53 PM   #2
MTT TL

That actually looks pretty awesome. How does it shoot?
Old June 21, 2018, 01:20 PM   #3
homegunsmithunger

Thank you very much! It is capable of shooting sub moa at 100 yards. I tried to make the Anschütz barrel as concentric as possible. The outer and the inner diameter are concentric below 0,001 inch. The muzzle and the chamber are concentric below 0,0005 inch. The chamber has the same size as the original Ruger 10/22, so it is also realiable. I hope you understand what I mean because my english is not so good...

Thats what I could achieve at 55 yards with 4-5 rounds (I cannot remember...) of remington target, with better ammunition it is capable of a little bit more:

Old June 21, 2018, 01:22 PM   #4
zukiphile

Your english is quite good. Sebastian, I hope you don't hate money. You might be swimming in it one day.

I saw the blogspot comment about a cleaning hole in the rear not being practical because the bolt stop pin would be in the way of a cleaning rod. The kind of american buyer who would pay a premium for an aftermarket receiver would cherish never having to put a rod down the muzzle. If you used a flexible bolt stop post (many of us already do that - they are sold as bolt "buffers), the post could be removed with the stock on the action. A vertical slot on both sides of the interior of the receiver to accept the bolt stop pin could be retained by the lid itself.

Also, some aftermarket manufacturers feature a "tang" at the rear of the receiver to provide a second anchoring point to render it immobile in the stock.

You should protect this idea and speak with a machine shop about production. We buy lots of junk for our Rugers that does very little. This seems to be a large improvement that would find a market here.

Last edited by zukiphile; June 21, 2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old June 21, 2018, 01:57 PM   #5
5whiskey

Quote:
Your english is quite good. Sebastian, I hope you don't hate money. You might be swimming in it one day.
I concur.

So long as you get your patent. Get a patent.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 21, 2018, 02:07 PM   #6
homegunsmithunger

@zukiphile
Thank you for your comment! I only would like to have the money, because it would give me the time and the opportunity to build more innovative things. It would be a dream to quit my job and build things like that full time.

If somebody has a good barrel and the knowledge how to clean it, the additional hole is useful, but I suspect that most of the users don't clean their barrels "correct". For a high quality rifle, it is something that has to be considered. For a mass production rifle I think nobody would care.

With the possibility to remove the bolt from above, the rear pin is not necessary at this position, so it is no problem to produce an adapted version of the rifle that can be cleaned correct, without removing the pin.

I have filed a patent to protect every possible variation of this receiver, so the patent is pending, because I always believed that it can be useful for many people. Now I need to make it more popular and find a good manufacturer or good manufacturers, so I really appreciate your help/comments/shares....

@5whiskey
You're 100% right, without a patent my plan/dream cannot be realized. I am studying firearms since 9 years, and I have never seen something similar, so I am optimistic at the moment. We will see what the United States Patent and Trademark Office will decide.
Old June 21, 2018, 03:02 PM   #7
Pahoo

Now this is "real" 10/22 up-grade !!!

My compliments and glad to see that you have beat Ruger, to the punch. The 10/22's are one of my favorites as well and work on them, on a regular basis. One advantage to the 10/22 is that there is an aftermarket part for every part except the receiver which Ruger will not sell. You have surely taken care of that and I wish you much success. Make sure to have a CYA program. …..

You really do not need a clean-out hole for this or any standard receiver. You will get differing opinions on this point and so be it. …

I am also guessing that the thickness on the top of your receiver, is thicker than the standard and there is another big plus. ….

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 21, 2018, 03:26 PM   #8
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian
If somebody has a good barrel and the knowledge how to clean it, the additional hole is useful, but I suspect that most of the users don't clean their barrels "correct". For a high quality rifle, it is something that has to be considered. For a mass production rifle I think nobody would care.
I understand why you would think that. The culture here could be different; I remember hearing as a lad not to ever clean a barrel from the muzzle. A child may have a 22 rifle with a low price, but to that child, it's a treasured item.

The 10/22 is a mass produced rifle, but the very large market of aftermarket products is its own niche. The sort of fellow who will pay a couple hundred dollars for your receiver may have a $200 barrel as well. As you know, taking decent care of the barrel is one of the most frustrating aspects of the 10/22. Ultimately, you want your product to have so much value to potential consumers that they can't think of a reason to not buy it.

I am not a patent attorney, but have several clients who bring proprietary materials to market. Maybe the next step is consulting with someone who knows the CNC process and can work with you on turning out machine producible receivers. (I am only guessing that the prototype in the video was lovingly handcrafted with perfect dimensions. As anyone who has handled a Ruger knows, large batch manufacture is a different animal.)
Old June 21, 2018, 04:13 PM   #9
homegunsmithunger

@zukiphile
Personally I would prefer a takedown version to clean the barrel, but you're 100% right, it is only important what the customer prefers. To be honest, most of the times I only clean the chamber (after 500-1000 rounds).

I also agree with you, that the receiver needs to be produced by a experienced manufacturer who has the tolerances and the proper dimensions for mass production.

@pahoo
Thank you very much for your kind comment. Maybe Ruger gets interested as well, when they realize, that they would loose money. It was always my consideration, that it must be interesting for them.

How strange would it be, if a aftermarkt manufacturer would produce a 10/22 clone with this receiver and Ruger would not be allowed to produce it because it's maybe protected by a patent then?

I have already received very interesting messages and therefor I am confident, that this receiver can be available in at least 1-2 years, with or without Ruger. It will be possible because of your support!

Last edited by homegunsmithunger; June 21, 2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old June 23, 2018, 03:15 AM   #10
Rob228

Please, please please work your magic on the Ruger Mk III!!!!!!!!
Old June 23, 2018, 06:17 AM   #11
homegunsmithunger

@Rob228
Ruger did it already with the Mark IV

Update:

Because of your help and the help of THEFIREARMBLOG, it was possible to achieve many thousands of views, over 400 likes, 230 shares, and 69 comments (only the comments regarding the receiver) in only one week on various plattforms, and that is just what I could find...

I am overwhelmed by the kind comments and the demand for the receiver.

Some people have concerns regarding the rigidity and also regarding the capability of the receiver/top part to hold zero.

Because of this useful/constructive feedback, I am motivated to build two new versions, to fullfill your requirements 100%, so there will be 3 possible versions for the manufacturers at the end.

V1: First Prototype, for rifles with open sights

V2: with a picatinny rail in the front area, so the optic can remain while the top part is removed

V3: with a full length picatinny rail, an improved rail system and an improved locking pin for perfect accuracy, more rigidity and a similar level of simplicity.

I have also received some messages from very good manufacturers, they seem to be interested as well, so there is a good chance for you to see the receiver(s) on the market within the next few years.

So while I am waiting for the decision of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, I will go on and show you the next prototypes as soon as they are finished.

If you're interested in the manufacturing process of the prototypes you can follow me on instagram/youtube/facebook, I will post the progress there.

Thank you very much for your support!

Last edited by homegunsmithunger; June 24, 2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old June 23, 2018, 06:33 AM   #12
MTT TL

It is only 22lr. You can make the receiver out of plastic and it will be rigid enough. A metal receiver, even open top should not have enough flex for worry.
Old June 23, 2018, 07:37 AM   #13
homegunsmithunger

@MTT TL
You're right, the rifle works flawless, but I have to listen what the people say and improve to the highest possible level. Some people have concerns regarding the rigidity and the capability of the receiver to hold zero, therefor I will improve it.
Old June 23, 2018, 09:18 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

You mean there are people who actually clean 10/22??
This is not as sarcastic as it sounds. Once, as a test, I didn't clean my 10/22 for over a decade. No disassembly, no rod down the bore, only wiped what I could reach (boltface and breechface of the barrel).

During the entire time there was no change in function or accuracy, in ANY way. When I did finally take it apart and clean it, there was powder residue 1/4 to 3/8" thick all over everything, except where the bolt traveled. (including the trigger group). Nothing was affected, not even the trigger pull.

An extreme test, I admit, but the point is, people who clean their 10/22s often are doing it because they want to, not because they need to.

Your receiver is interesting, might actually be "a better mousetrap". Good Luck!!

One point to consider, the receiver (the serial #'d part) is, under US law, the firearm. There can (technically) be no such thing as an "aftermarket" receiver. You can call it a replacement, but as far as the law is concerned, its an entirely different gun. The bare stripped receiver alone is legally the same as the complete gun made on that receiver, all purchase and possession laws apply the same to the bare receiver as they do to the complete gun.
Old June 23, 2018, 10:39 AM   #15
homegunsmithunger

@44 AMP
Thank you for your comment! I am also a very lazy person in terms of cleaning, but from what I have seen on shooting ranges, there is a huge number of people keeping their guns clean

I already knew that the receiver has to have a serial number and is more difficult to get in the USA then the "normal" aftermarkt parts, but I didn't knew the difference between "aftermarkt" and "replacement", now I know it. In Austria receivers are free parts at the moment, but maybe the EU will change it...

Last edited by homegunsmithunger; June 23, 2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old June 23, 2018, 02:38 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

It can get a bit confusing, especially since people use terms very sloppily in casual conversation.

Any part you buy to add to a gun (or to replace an existing part), bought after you bought the gun can be considered "aftermarket". (After the gun was sold on the market).

Since under US law, the serial# part (normally the receiver) is considered a gun, then it cannot be an aftermarket part for an existing gun, and legally isn't a replacement, either, since it is its own "gun" in the eyes of the law, its not replacing anything.

There is such a thing as a replacement receiver, but its a fairly rare thing. IF you send a gun with a damaged receiver back to the original maker (and they cannot repair the original receiver), they can replace the receiver, and mark it with the original serial #, so that, legally, it is still the same gun. ONLY the original maker can do this, under US law.

While this can happen, most often what happens when the receiver cannot be repaired is the factory replaces it with another with its own serial number, so under the law, its a new gun. Tis a bit confusing but that's what our gun control laws are...
(and a lot of us think they go beyond confusing and don't stop at "stupid", but that's just our opinion...
Old June 23, 2018, 05:21 PM   #17
1stmar

Very impressive sebastian, or should we call you jmb jr?
Old June 24, 2018, 05:13 AM   #18
homegunsmithunger

@44AMP
Thank you for the explanations, so at the end it is just a receiver
I have considered it as "aftermarkt" because it is a part that is related to an existing construction and produced by various companys.

@1stmar
Thank you very much, but I think we need to keep a sense of proportion here. Every comparison with jmb is a vilification of jmb, it's like comparing a brick with the Empire State Building, nobody will ever catch up with him. Jmb is a person I look up to, and it helps me to believe, that this way is viable.
Old June 24, 2018, 05:40 AM   #19
1stmar

A little tongue and cheek sebastian. Your vision, ingenuity and execution is excellent. I wouldnt expect you to be a home gunsmith long.
Old June 24, 2018, 01:47 PM   #20
homegunsmithunger

@1stmar
Thank you very much, I will try my best to achieve it! The drawings for the V2 are nearly finished, next week I will buy a piece of 7075 aluminium
Old June 24, 2018, 09:24 PM   #21
dakota.potts

This is an awesome project, Sebastian. I saw it posted on Facebook from the Firearm Blog.

I appreciate the craftsmanship and ingenuity. I will be sending you a PM.
Old June 26, 2018, 06:12 AM   #22
homegunsmithunger

Thank you very much for your comment. Your blog and your youtube channel are also very interesting!
Old July 11, 2018, 03:06 AM   #23
dakota.potts

Sebastian, the article on your receiver is now live here.

Thank you for allowing me the chance to work with you on this! Best of luck to you.
Old July 11, 2018, 06:31 AM   #24
MTT TL

I must say again I really like it. Much better than anything Ruger has come up with on their own in recent years. If it were commercially available I would almost certainly get one.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:41 AM   #25
4V50 Gary
Staff

A few of us at TSJC really wanted a steel 10/22 receiver. That way it could be color case hardened. Consider that.