The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2017, 09:58 AM   #1
TXJohn

7mm RCBS Neck Sizing die

I have a RCBS 7MM Neck die that I use to neck size 7mm Mag. Don't have the 7 mag any more and was wondering if I could use it to size .280 Remington? The die just has 7mm neck RCBS on it.

I haven't tried yet thought I would ask first.

Thanks

John
Old December 11, 2017, 10:42 AM   #2
FITASC

I would think so, but one sure way to find out is to try it on 1-2 pieces.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 11, 2017, 10:48 AM   #3
TXJohn

Thanks FITASC, was thinking the same but wasn't sure. It was late last night or would have checked. Been reloading all day yesterday was tired when I thought of it.

John
Old December 11, 2017, 10:56 AM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
sure way to find out
There is .021" difference in length from the case head and shoulder/neck juncture meaning the 7 Remington mag is the longest and when standing up it is the tallest.

What does all of this mean? If you use the 7 Remington Mag neck sizer on the 280 you have a section of the neck that does not get sized. Some reloaders require theory when a do-nut appears. Some do-nut appears because of bad habits. If you are using a RCBS shell holder you can reduce the upsized portion of the neck by about .010" if you shim the case off of the deck of the shell holder.

F. Guffey
Old December 11, 2017, 03:14 PM   #5
old roper

You can do it. I have never miked how much isn't done but it's close to start of the neck. I use Wilson arbor bushing neck die and it only size down 3/16" from case mouth.
NRA Life Member
Old December 11, 2017, 05:33 PM   #6
TXJohn

Thanks again Guys will give it a try and see what happens. Just couldn't figure since it does not say 7mm mag just RCBS 7mm neck.

John
Old December 11, 2017, 06:45 PM   #7
F. Guffey

There is no way to crush the 280 Remington cases case with the 7 Remington Mag seater die, it almost makes the die fool poof. Problem: Fools do not read.

F. Guffey
Old December 12, 2017, 09:14 AM   #8
TXJohn

Mr. Guffey, thanks for the info it did exactly what you said did not size the whole neck. After looking at die you could barely see the 7mm R Mag neck size. Will just order a 280 Rem. neck die. Was wondering about your last sentence fools do not read?

John
Old December 12, 2017, 10:53 AM   #9
F. Guffey

Oil field: And then it grew from there. The idea was to make everything fool proof, I had a friend I have lost contact with that went through life with a steel plate covering his brain, it had something to do the difference between cam- over and leaver lock, The instructions included a warning about wrapping a chain around the handle before turning it loose, he didn't, he turned his head. In those days the tool was called a 'binder'.

And then there is the Come-along, today everything is called a come-along in the old days the tool was fool proof, meaning if the operator did not know how to operate it he had to find the instructions or someone with experience, the come-along tool was made in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

F. Guffey