The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 16, 2017, 03:44 PM   #26
Pahoo

Good info !!!

Quote:
In the two 'big' cities in this area, air rifles are treated the same as firearms, when it comes to discharging within city limits.
That's good information, just in case the OP decides to move there. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 16, 2017, 03:51 PM   #27
dahermit

Quote:
That being said, a stiff broom, a garden hose, lemon juice, vinegar, etc works wonders without firing a shot.
None of which I imagine, would be effective against a truly rabid animal.
Old September 16, 2017, 07:19 PM   #28
FireForged

Good lord people.. do you really need a gun to deal with a cat. There is no way I am going to discharge a firearm in a neighborhood to deal with such a minor nuisance.
Old September 16, 2017, 07:51 PM   #29
Mainah

I used to have a German Shepherd, he wasn't huge but I can't imagine any domestic cat giving him a serious challenge, rabid or feral. When I lived in a rural area I kept a single shot 12 gauge with a stock mounted shell holder full of #4 stashed in the garage mostly for rabid animals and aggressive loose dogs.
Old September 16, 2017, 07:52 PM   #30
Mobuck

A long handled shovel would be a good start. I carry a "tap stick on my UTV and in the farm pickup to handle those situations where using a gun might be less than optimum.
FWIW an SR22 is NOT quiet by any means. Far as I'm concerned, the little 22 is as loud as a 9mm.
Old September 16, 2017, 09:23 PM   #31
MikeGoob

Thanks for all the feedback.
My friend took a broom to this cat and it just got worse trying to bite claw anything it could. Rolling around on the ground, playing dead in the gutter. Many of her friends who heard about it suspect the animal was rabid.

Rabies shots are no picnic for humans -- I heard there is a high risk for brain damage? This is pretty much the reason I don't want to try to beat one with a broom, and would rather try something with less personal contact. I have pepper spray/gel would a rabid animal care about pepper spray?
Old September 16, 2017, 10:13 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...I heard there is a high risk for brain damage?
Any medication carries some level of risk. The more serious risks from rabies shots appear to be roughly similar to that of flu shots but so unlikely that no clear connection can be established. I can't find any sources that suggest a "high risk" of any serious side effect for rabies shots.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis...ts/rabies.html
https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_..._reaction.html
Old September 16, 2017, 10:54 PM   #33
Nanuk

I used to have a Dalmatian that thought it was fun to kill cats. That dog caused me a serious shortage of farm cats to control rodents. A rabid animal is nothing to trifle with.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 16, 2017, 11:20 PM   #34
Cosmodragoon

Please be careful around potentially sick animals. Rabies is just one of a variety of illnesses that can potentially be spread to human beings, not just by scratches and bites but also from exposure to bodily fluids or even inhalation of aerosolized tissues. (People have actually caught tularemia from inhaling the mist after running over rabbits with a lawnmower.) You should not approach a "sick" animal unless it is absolutely necessary. If you have to dispatch one, proper precautions should be taken for cleanup. Having a professional handle it is sound advice when possible.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:45 AM   #35
Mannlicher

ammo crafter
Quote:
Interesting how you can approximate where the people are from by their respective responses.
ain't that the truth?
Here in fairly rural N. Central FL, I dispatch feral cats, (and roaming domestic felines) with my trusty Remington 721t bolt .22 rifle. Simply deadly. I can't abide a cat in my yard.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 17, 2017, 12:07 PM   #36
TailGator

Veterinarian here.

The best diagnostic sample needed to diagnose rabies is a certain part of the brain. Try to keep the head intact when you are dealing with such a situation.

Bite wounds are the primary means of transmitting the rabies virus, because the virus reaches the brain and the salivary glands at about the same time. Other transmission would require somewhat fresh saliva on a part (like a claw) that punctured the skin.

Rabies is a virus that does rapid brain damage in somewhat random parts of the brain, so almost any symptom of brain damage can be rabies. The vicious animal is prototypical, but so-called "dumb rabies" - decreasing responsive that progresses to coma and death - is quite common, and, in some studies, more common that the aggressive form.

In recent decades, there have been more cases of rabies in cats than in dogs, probably because vaccination rates are lower.

I've had rabies vaccines - not bad at all.
Old September 17, 2017, 01:16 PM   #37
briandg

It really bothers me that so many responses here involve killing any and every cat that presents a risk, or even walks into the wrong place.

If a really aggressive dachshund was tearing into a cat, looking crazy and out of control, would you take a shotgun after the dachshund, or start taking bets on who would win?

Come on people, these things are pets. Most of the "feral" cats you see are just free range pets or pets that are turned loose every few hours. In most areas, it is not a crime to let a cat roam, and just like killing a dog, shooting someone's cat will result in a jail sentence.

I'd like to point something out. It threw itself to the ground and pretended to play dead? You really missed on that one. that is how a cat fights. a dog has strong teeth and powerful jaws, a cats teeth are for killing small animals and rodents. they fight with their claws. watch a cat fight, it slaps with claws at the face. When a cat is really serious and confident, it rolls to its back and dares his opponent to strike at the vulnerable spot. When it is attacked, it grabs with front claws and bites, holding on while those hind feet, which are truly powerful, beat at the opponent's belly. The can do it with closed claws,imagine someone hammering at a soft spot on your body. They can also use the claws, imagine being disemboweled with fish hooks.

Don't any of you keep mace on hand?

Think about this. If you encountered a free roaming Shi Tzu that was going after a cat, would you kill the Shi Tzu?

Usually, the dog initiates the fight. In fact, since the beginning of the fight wasn't witnessed, why are we saying that a cat attacked a dog three times it's size and must have been rabid?
Old September 17, 2017, 01:32 PM   #38
briandg

Just some helpful information.

Va had three confirmed cases of cat rabies last year forms due reports, raccoons showed up over ten times as many cases. Think about all of the cats who go into shelters or are impounded, all quarantined to test for rabies. The only time a raccoon is tested is when it's either killed or found dead.

Texas, that huge, wide open state, only had two.

Stay away from bats and raccoons.

Statistics from cdc showed about three Hunan deaths from rabies infection annually.
Old September 17, 2017, 01:36 PM   #39
briandg

It is true, I believe, cats have a larger incidence of rabies than dogs. More cats are free running, having more encounters with infection, and many are unvaccinated. No surprise there.
Old September 17, 2017, 03:58 PM   #40
Siggy-06

I'd say a .22lr coming out of a longer barrel like 16"+ would be more ideal than the SR22. I personally dont have a yard as I'm in an apartment complex, but my 10/22 is always standing by.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:12 PM   #41
Mainah

I've owned cats for decades, I have three now. All of my cats have lived indoors, outdoor cats are an invasive species. But anyway, rabies often shows up in foxes up here.

If you have to kill an animal that you suspect is rabid make sure to bag the body for testing and keep your dogs away from any blood. They'll quarantine a dog for exposure to a rabid animals blood.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:24 PM   #42
gwpercle

Go inside and close the door . Cats , even rabid cats can't turn the knob. Dial 911 and report it . Stay inside and let them deal with it.
Start shooting inside a big city and someone might have his gun confiscated and could get fined. Then you got the cat lovers coming down on you for killing a cat. In their eyes You should have brought it to the vet , had him cured and pay all the bills, then adopt him and bring him home to live with you happily ever after.....Yeah, Right !
I'll pass on starting any of that
Old September 17, 2017, 06:42 PM   #43
Pahoo

All depends ??

Quote:
Good lord people.. do you really need a gun to deal with a cat.
I'm going to give all of us, the benefit of the doubt as I don't feel any of us wants to deal with any problem cat or dog. There is a time and place for everything and having to shoot a cat, "may" be one of them. ..... :

One cause of cat problems in our rural areas, There are city folks that want to get rid of one, rather than pay the pond. They think that they are doing them a favor by finding them a new home, in the country. All they do is give their problem to other folks and the animal really gets the short end of that deal. ...

Be Safe !!!