The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 7, 2017, 01:46 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Are Arisaka's this cheap?

I was at Cabelas today to get a refund on stuff and while I was walking by the gun racks, I saw an Arisaka for $199. The first thing I said to myself was, "What's wrong with it?" and now that I'm looking them up, it seems that's the going price of them.

I can't remember if this was a 7.7 Japanese chambered or it was one in the 6mm's, but 200 for a Japanese bolt action seems low to me, at least compared to what I'm seeing some Mosin Nagants going for.

I can understand the prices being low because the 7.7 Jap is not common ammo, but I'm a reloader so it's nbd for me.
Old December 7, 2017, 04:00 AM   #2
Geezerbiker

If it's one with the mum ground off, then yes that's about what they're going for. Arisaka rifles have never had the following Mauser rifles do and even though there's a lot less of them, the don't go for as much...
Old December 7, 2017, 04:56 AM   #3
Blindstitch

Prices change from time to time but if you find a good one for $200 I would buy it. I got one two years ago at Cabelas for $170 which was mislabeled and it was like the guy in the gun library wanted to fight. Either way he was wrong. It was labeled as a 99 taking 7.7 but it was really a type 38 carbine in 6.5 that someone drilled and tapped along with adding a bent bolt. Quality work was done but I have a feeling they learned the rifle wasn't accurate. After some inspection I found out one or two of the scope mounts wasn't drilled deep enough.

Once that was straightened out it became a real shooter.
Old December 7, 2017, 07:27 AM   #4
Mobuck

"What's wrong with it?"
Unless you're a military collector, darned near everything. If still original chamber, the ammo is hard to find and expensive. The safety is a real joke. The metallurgy of the later production is simply scary. $200??? Not a chance.
Old December 7, 2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Archie

Hornady makes hunting ammo for $32.someodd a box.

Graf & Sons advertise loading dies and cases for the round.

Safety is made for use with gloves. Press in and twist with palm of hand, not fingers. Metallurgy is not lacking; later (last?) rifles were roughly finished on outside, giving the impression of 'cheap work', but were structurally fine. Ugly as a mud fence, but sound.

If one is a collector, they are interesting. Round is suitable for general use, but not particularly impressive.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old December 7, 2017, 01:01 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"What's wrong with it?" would be my reaction too. Condition is everything(especially the 'mum), of course, but they're running way more than that on the auction sites. Mind you, there is one on GunBroker with a badly done mum grinding job(looks kind of recent too) that starts at $199.
Ammo's easier to come by than it used to be. Isn't that long ago that your option was Norma or nothing. Now it's Norma or Prvi at least from Midway. Add PCI from Grafs.
Grafs lists their own branded ammo by Hornady as being unavailable from the manufacturer.
Old December 7, 2017, 01:25 PM   #7
TruthTellers

What's more common? The 6mm or the 7.7mm Arisakas?
Old December 7, 2017, 01:31 PM   #8
emcon5

Depends, ammo is not as easy to find, and the condition of them normally isn't all that great, depending on the rifle and condition, it could be over priced, or a pretty good deal.

I picked up a tired looking Type 38 Carbine at my local Cabela's a couple years ago, listed for $200, and it followed me home for $175.

It is a no-series Tokyo Artillery Arsenal, I was told the serial number puts it around 1917 manufacture. It has an intact mum, no import mark that I can find, some surface rust and dings, but otherwise didn't look too bad. It had the look of a gun that was leaning in the corner of a closet for a few decades.

It cleaned up pretty well, and I think the price I paid was pretty good.

I bought some 6.5 brass and a Hornady generic 6.5mm neck sizing die, and it shoots pretty well, even though the sights are not great.
Old December 8, 2017, 05:37 AM   #9
Blindstitch

Quote:
What's more common? The 6mm or the 7.7mm Arisakas?
I've seen a lot of both but my bet is 7.7 is more common. I don't know much about the 7.7 but I can tell you that it isn't hard to make the brass out of 30-06. Or just buy the privi.

On the other hand 6.5 can be a pain to find somedays. But as long as I can find brass for my two Type 38's they will get shot regularly.
Old December 8, 2017, 09:07 AM   #10
Jack O'Conner

My Uncle told me that after WWII tons of Japanese weapons were hauled out to sea and dumped into the Pacific ocean.

Jack