The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 4, 2017, 01:29 AM   #1
Carmike

What makes the Browning B92 so desirable?

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a 357 lever gun, and I have the chance to buy a Browning BL92. I have fired a friend's Henry in 357, and I loved it. He has a Browning in 44, and I like that one, too. I can get the Henry, and I'm sure I'd be happy with it, but for a bit more money, I can get the Browning. I don't really want to spend north of $1000 for the Winchesters.

I know there are all sort of personal/intangible preferences that would affect the decisions, but all things being equal, what would you do? Get the Henry, or for about $200 more, get the Browning? My primary use for the gun will be terrorizing tin cans and sundry soda bottles.

Note: If possible, ignore the tube-loading feature of the Henry, which doesn't bother me.

Looking forward to y'all's words of wisdom.

Carmike

Last edited by Carmike; December 6, 2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old December 4, 2017, 09:27 AM   #2
jersurf101

This is one time I would factor weight. What does the Henry weigh vs the BLR? I have a Rossi and it is short, light and easy to tote

Is Henry still using a screw on pot metal or gilded side plate screwed into the side of the receiver? If so that would push me towards the BLR as well.

How does the rifle point?

How are the irons?

Do you want a scope?

Can both be scoped?

This is how I decide between two rifles. Preferably go hold them and figure out which one suits you better.
Old December 4, 2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Scorch

Well, for starters, the BL92 is a very good quality clone of the original Winchester 1892, invented by John Browning (which is why Browning Arms Company had them made to begin with). The Winchester '92 was admired and recognized as one of the smoothest and most accurate lever actions ever made. The Henry is a sort of copy of the Marlin 1894. Only rougher and heavier.

I guess next would be that the BL92 is very well made. Manufactured by Miroku in Japan, the fit and finish of the BL92 are very good. Henry rifles are also very well made, but the quality of the wood and metal finish are not as good as the Browning's.

And Henry rifles lack a loading gate.
Old December 4, 2017, 09:35 AM   #4
Charlie98

I'm a big fan of the Browning (Miroku) rifles, I had/have 2 of them... a 1886 that I stupidly sold, and I still have my 71. Fine quality, well built rifles.

I don't have any experience with the Henry, from what I've read on the forums, those that have them, love them.

The magazine tube is a deal-killer for me... I hate loading muzzle-end magazines, but as you said, you don't care.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 4, 2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Laz

I have both Winchester/Miroku 92 in .357 and a Henry Big Boy Steel in .357. They are both fine rifles. If I could only keep one, I would keep the Winchester 92 (same as the Browning). They are beautifully made and hard to find. The Henry “feels” heavier and bigger and it is but only slightly. The Henry might have been better in .44 mag with its bit more weight and rubber recoil pad which is overkill for .357. I like them both but vote 92 if I had to choose.

The Henry is very, very smooth and, like you, I don’t mind the tube loading at all, and actually find it has some benefits, though I slightly prefer the loading gate.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old December 4, 2017, 12:15 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Browning has been marketing on the name for eons. Way over priced because of the name. Plus there are duties and taxes on stuff imported from Japan.
Old December 4, 2017, 12:42 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

The old Browning 92 was well made, and it's preferred over any current "Winchester" 92 Miroku variant because it has no safety "upgrades" that modify the action.

Henry has never produced a rifle with screwed-on pot metal or gilded side plates.
Denis
Old December 4, 2017, 06:06 PM   #8
Carmike

Oops, I should've mentioned this is an older BL92, not the current production in Japan. From the photos I've seen, it looks to be in near-perfect condition.
Old December 4, 2017, 07:03 PM   #9
Scorch

All Browning 92s were made in Japan. it's just that the new ones have some undesirable attributes.
Old December 4, 2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

The original Japanese made Browning B92 is as smooth and well made inside as out.
I've had several apart for deep cleaning and they are nice.
About the only significant difference between the Browning and the original Winchester 1892 is that the Browning has a coil mainspring and the Winchester had a leaf spring.

Arguably, the John Browning 1892 design was the best handling and smoothest operating of all the lever action rifles.
If I was buying, I wouldn't even consider a Henry over the older B92.

The B92 was made in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum.
The .44 is a hunting/defense gun, the .357 is a fun gun that also shoots .38 Special.
A friend had a Rossi replica of the 1892 in .38 special, and we didn't even need ear protection with light hand loads. it was literally as quiet as a long barrel .22 rifle.
Old December 4, 2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Mobuck

Even giving Henry credit for being "made in America", there's no comparison between a Henry and a BL92.
Old December 4, 2017, 10:38 PM   #12
Carmike

Ah, thanks for the correction.
Old December 5, 2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Brownings are nice. There all nice. Hard decision? ~~Although if (I) wanted a inexpensive fun shooter. I kind'a think a Rossi would fill the bill. No doubt I saving a little on the purchase verses a dandy Browning buy. I could afford to send the littl Rossi shooter out to have it Tuned for my purpose to this feller. https://stevesgunz.com/

Curious. I wonder if there is a aftermarket business place that can you do the same to a Browning B-92? (i.e. Performance Tune.)
Old December 5, 2017, 08:57 PM   #14
PatientWolf

The Henry is a nice gun, but I'd choose the Browning B92 every day and twice on Sunday's. The B92 is very smooth and a very strong action.
Old December 5, 2017, 09:50 PM   #15
Laz

In my mind, the Henry is just fine. Just different. A 92 is a 92 in my mind and did I pay too much? Probably. Outside of Henry, 357 lever Guns are pretty scarce around here. I’m keeping my Henry and the Winchester.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old December 6, 2017, 11:31 AM   #16
COSteve

Quote:
This is one time I would factor weight. What does the Henry weigh vs the BLR? I have a Rossi and it is short, light and easy to tote
The OP asked about the B92, not a BLR.
Old December 6, 2017, 11:55 AM   #17
natman

The Browning is better made than the Henry and either is far, far better made than the Rossi. Go with the Browning.

Last edited by natman; December 6, 2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old December 6, 2017, 02:22 PM   #18
Carmike

Well, I bought the Browning today for $800...so after the transfer fee, a bit less than $200 more than the Henry. Definitely more than I need to spend on a plinker, and probably nicer than I want to haul around with me in the deer woods, but I feel no regrets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg browning.jpg (37.9 KB, 105 views)