The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 24, 2017, 07:29 AM   #1
jamesf553

Magpaul stock question

Hey guys! Quick question for you all.

I just purchased a savage stealth 110b in 338 lm. I am looking to replace the factory stock with a magpaul as I heard that it is worth the swap out.

Anyways, I just wanted to make sure that I purchased the correct version as there seems to be a few. Would it be the gen 3 one?

https://www.magpul.com/products/prs-...justable-stock

Thank you!
Old October 24, 2017, 09:59 AM   #2
50 shooter

Make sure you're getting the one that attaches to a bolt action and not an AR receiver.

Have you looked into any of the chassis systems that are out there?
No time for rearranging.
Old October 24, 2017, 11:58 AM   #3
jamesf553

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 shooter View Post
Make sure you're getting the one that attaches to a bolt action and not an AR receiver.

Have you looked into any of the chassis systems that are out there?
Hey 50 thanks for the reply and the info. Yeah so I actually didn't look into the chassis to be honest (I haven't really done too much modification on my rifles before, mostly buy and shoot so I'm a bit ignorant).

I did a little more research and I found that MDT makes the chassis/stock for the savages. When I checked MDT's website I saw exactly what I wanted, their tac 21 chassis. Do you think that would be an ok fit? I love the look of it. This would basically just replace everything except the barrel, bolt, and trigger mechanism correct?

https://mdttac.com/products/tac21-chassis-system

Thanks again for the info.
Old October 24, 2017, 11:05 PM   #4
50 shooter

Yes, just pull your barreled action out of your stock and drop it into their chassis. Be sure that you torque down the action screws, most are 60 INCH pounds, not foot pounds.

So if you don't have an inch pounds torque wrench, get one as they come in handy for working on rifles. Scope rings cross bolts and screws for the ring halves are torqued in inch pounds also.

Another chassis system to look at is the Choate super sniper/marksman set up. Not as pretty as the other one but a friend swapped his out on his Rem. 700. His rifle went from about a 3/4" gun at 100 yards to 1/4", most groups were just a ragged little hole. Couldn't believe that a $150 stock could make that much difference.
No time for rearranging.