The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 8, 2012, 09:48 AM   #1
swampcrawler

good way to belt carry single ak mag

Recently a cz 527 carbine in x39 followed me home. This sweet little carbine is going to be my hk45's new partner, in that itgoes everywhere with me (or at least is always in my truck). I want to be able to cary my 5+1 of hunting ammo, plus 5-10 spare rounds of thatn and have the option of easily grabbing a number of cheap ammo to practice at the end of the hunt/scouting trip. Sence ak mags are cheap, i was thinking id just use one as my spare ammo carrier. Id like to be able to clip it onto my belt. I thought of maby attatching a belt clip to the mag itself, or getting a clip on holder. The issue is i want it to not be able to flop around/hang on brush as well as be comfortable. Ak mags have some uncomfortable corners lol. Any ideas on carrying at least 20 spare x39 rounds?
Old June 10, 2012, 07:26 PM   #2
saands

I understand the desire to use what you already have, but carrying an AK mag just to have the storage capacity doesn't seem quite right.

Have you looked at something like this? No sharp edges, no extra weight and quite comfortable.

Saands
Old June 13, 2012, 03:23 AM   #3
bamaranger

heavy

An AK mag, even a 20 rd type is pretty heavy.

My answer for carrying small amounts of ammo for long guns, is a cheap nylon butt cuff. I cut a slit towards the rear and force the sling swivel stud through the hole, then attatch the sling, which locks the butt cuff in place. I usually don't fill the cuff up, just enough for a reload 4-5 rds.

Works good for small ctg rifles like .44's, .357 and x39. I also use one on my .308 scout. Larger cals like '06 start to unbalance the rifle.

But....I'm sure you can find a single mag pouch for AK mags. Heck, it wouldn't take to much to sew one.