The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 2, 2015, 11:29 PM   #1
dnsharpshooter

AOW/SBS question

A shop near me has an old remington model 11, like the one i already have, but in alot worse shape. the stock is super beat and the finish is almost non-existent. its cheap, and i was thinking it might be neat to buy it and cut it down. sawed off 12 gauge autoloader? sounds pretty cool to me.

been doing some research, and just wanted to hopefully clarify what ive read and make sure im understanding everything right, because i dont want to become a felon

Based on what i have read, this would be classified as a SBS because it started life with a stock meant to be shouldered, correct? So i would need to pay for the $200 stamp, correct?
This could not/would not be classified as an AOW because it was originally built/designed to be fired from the shoulder, correct? so i would not be able to buy the $5 stamp for this.

thanks
-dan
Old August 2, 2015, 11:42 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
dnsharpshooter ...... this would be classified as a SBS because it started life with a stock meant to be shouldered, correct? So i would need to pay for the $200 stamp, correct?
Correct, submit a Form 1 and $200.

Quote:
This could not/would not be classified as an AOW because it was originally built/designed to be fired from the shoulder, correct? so i would not be able to buy the $5 stamp for this.
AOW's transfer on a $5 tax stamp, making an AOW requires the same $200 stamp as the SBS.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 2, 2015, 11:57 PM   #3
dnsharpshooter

sounds good, thank you
Old August 3, 2015, 09:50 PM   #4
DanTSX

Do your homework. A SBS Auto 5 or Rem 11 can be tricky to get to run right when cut down. Keep in mind, the barrel is part of the recoiling assembly. I would let a gunsmith with an SOT and a lot of experience with this build, do the work on it.
Old August 3, 2015, 10:01 PM   #5
rightside

If you keep the barrel 18" and the overall length 26" or greater , you don't need anything. Completely legal. Those dimensions will allow you to use a pistol grip and be legal.
Old February 3, 2016, 11:54 PM   #6
nightwolf1974

so, what would be the process of buying an old double barreled shotgun to cut down and make a MAD MAX style double?
Old February 4, 2016, 12:04 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
nightwolf1974 so, what would be the process of buying an old double barreled shotgun to cut down and make a MAD MAX style double?
1. File a Form 1 as the maker of an NFA firearm with $200 fee.
2. Receive approved Form 1 with tax stamp affixed.
3. Saw barrel.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 6, 2016, 03:43 AM   #8
nightwolf1974

thanks dt!!
Old February 6, 2016, 01:51 PM   #9
Rob62

Actually there is also a marking requirement of the manufacturer that must be on the gun. Which would be you. So your name, city, and state need to be engraved on the gun. Of course if you are creating a Revocable Living Trust (RLT) to purchase or make this under - The RLT information gets engraved on the gun.

1. File a Form 1 as the maker of an NFA firearm with $200 fee.
2. Receive approved Form 1 with tax stamp affixed.
2a. Engrave gun with manufacturer info.
3. Saw barrel.

Note - there is a speciffic BATFE requirement for size, style, and depth of font. Most people get their guns engraved while waiting on the Form 1 approval. Markings can be on barrel or receiver of the shotgun. Technically the markings would need to be there PRIOR to cutting anything down.

Regards,

Rob