The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 25, 2016, 07:29 AM   #1
Old Bill Dibble

Gunmaggeden Fight Moves into High Gear

Personally I think they are making a bad assumption that they can win at the ballot box in California. Given CA courts and benches it is likely their only hope.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...nmageddon.html
Old August 25, 2016, 07:57 AM   #2
steve4102

I wish them luck, cuz they gunna need it. This be CA, remember.
Old August 25, 2016, 09:57 AM   #3
ATN082268

Even if the California voters overturn the Gunmaggedon laws, the government can always pass them again and if that somehow fails, the bureaucracies and/or the courts can always find ways around it. Certain states like California, Hawaii, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey along with the District of Columbia, are, IMHO too far gone to salvage as far as gun laws go.
Old August 25, 2016, 10:45 AM   #4
JWT

Gotta congratulate them for trying. Fighting the huge liberal population in most of California is damn near impossible....but at least they are trying.
Old August 25, 2016, 11:03 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I don't live in in CA, so my view from the outside might not be completely accurate, but what I have noted over the last 40+ years is that no matter WHAT the PEOPLE of CA vote in, the only things that go into effect are those in line with the liberal/leftist agenda.

Public propositions that don't, like the ones to lower the people's cost for gasoline, auto insurance, car tabs, and everything else that isn't in line with what the powers that be want, doesn't go into effect.

It goes into court. And after YEARS in court (sometimes decades??) after public support has faded, it is ruled against. Net effect, zero change in people's lives. What ever it was that they voted against stays in place, and then more and more is added to it, over time, and not always a long time, either.

Things that agree with the leftist agenda are ramrodded through, implemented as fast as possible, and when taken to court, rapidly ruled in favor of. That MAY not be how it actually is, but that is what it looks like from outside, to me.
Old August 25, 2016, 11:52 AM   #6
steve4102

Quote:
I don't live in in CA, so my view from the outside might not be completely accurate, but what I have noted over the last 40+ years is that no matter WHAT the PEOPLE of CA vote in, the only things that go into effect are those in line with the liberal/leftist agenda.

Public propositions that don't, like the ones to lower the people's cost for gasoline, auto insurance, car tabs, and everything else that isn't in line with what the powers that be want, doesn't go into effect.

It goes into court. And after YEARS in court (sometimes decades??) after public support has faded, it is ruled against. Net effect, zero change in people's lives. What ever it was that they voted against stays in place, and then more and more is added to it, over time, and not always a long time, either.

Things that agree with the leftist agenda are ramrodded through, implemented as fast as possible, and when taken to court, rapidly ruled in favor of. That MAY not be how it actually is, but that is what it looks like from outside, to me.
Sounds like the Obama Administration and the Ryan Controlled House.
Old August 25, 2016, 05:55 PM   #7
turkeestalker

When efforts seem futile and hope seems lost, prayer works. Just sayin.
Old August 29, 2016, 09:12 PM   #8
barnbwt

And as we all know, God helps those who help themselves. Good luck Californians, though I doubt you can get what you seek and remain as such (Californians, vs. Jeffersonians or Texans). 44 AMP has it right, that a very thorough trap against liberty has been erected in that state, which will require both irresistible and sustained pressure to dismantle, neither of which are still likely or possible given the makeup of the state's population (assuming they ever were). External pressure from the Feds is the only plausible scenario apart from balkanization of the state, but I see a new state of Jefferson as about as likely as a President Trump ordering the National Guard to oversee the unfettered arrival & sale of a shipment of AR15's at a San Francisco Cabela's.

TCB
Old August 30, 2016, 07:19 AM   #9
johnwilliamson062

I think pushing the state seperation plans forward would likely be easier than winning the battle chosen. Still, the best of luck, and I'll look under the couch cushions for change. No pizza this week
Old September 17, 2016, 12:08 AM   #10
xcc_rider

I have signed the petitions but have little confidence that we will succeed.
Even when a proposition that passes the legislature finds a way around it.
We pass no new taxes without voter approval, they impose fees.
We pass no diverting fuel taxes from road funds, they find a way around it.
We pass prop 13 to freeze real estate taxes, they pass bills to erode it.
We pass the lottery bill to add funding to schools, they reduce school funding an equal amount.

And all the time they say they're looking out for us?
Old September 17, 2016, 09:35 PM   #11
kilimanjaro

Good luck in California.