The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 25, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Addicted2Shooting

Plastic vs Steel AR-15 mags

I've been heavy in debate with some colleagues about the quality and reliability of the black teflon AR mags vs the plastic magpul pmags

I have read and watched numerous reviews about the polymer pmags which tends to show that they are virtually indestructible, while steel mags don't seem to hold up as well.

I don't have any experience with the teflon mags, but know the pmags have held up from everything I've put mine through.

Does anyone know or have any experience using teflon mags or have any idea how they might stack up against the proven polymer mags?
Old May 25, 2012, 02:20 PM   #2
brmfan

It's not so much the mag body itself but the follower and spring are critical. The follower must be anti-tilt/ dive to be worth keeping. I have P-Mags, standard issue aluminum, and HK steel mags that all function flawlessly -after I replaced most of the followers (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...-TILT-FOLLOWER) and used double coil springs http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/239...d-braided-wire (all except the P Mags). Any mag that doesn't function 110% gets tossed. Good thing most are pretty inexpensive!
Old May 25, 2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Addicted2Shooting

I'm assuming the teflon coating would help with rust/wear on the steel mags, where the pmags are polymer and wouldn't have that problem.

Additionally, would the teflon strengthen or weaken the steel at all, or would it simply provide a protective coating.

The steel mags I've linked to say that they have a magpul follower...I wonder if its more of a hybrid mag...maybe the best of both worlds?

The steel mags typically run a little cheaper too...so I don't know :-\
Old May 25, 2012, 06:27 PM   #4
7jinxed7

Is that test the Gen 1 or Gen 2 PMags? I can't tell. The Gen 1's are stronger and thicker and have stronger springs compared to the Gen 2's.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Addicted2Shooting

Really? I figured the Gen 2's would have been better...huh'..who would have thought?

I know the ones I have are the Gen 2 and have been through a beating...everything from being dropped on run and guns, to being bashed up against rocks and concrete walls while in my vest/pouches.

My real question of quality is with the teflon mags and how they stack up against the polymer
Old May 25, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Te Anau

I feel you need to cover all your bases when it comes to AR mags.I own steel,polymer and stainless ones.