The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 22, 2019, 12:35 PM   #1
WVsig

An Example of a True Custom Gun Yost Browning High Power

There was a thread about Nighthawk 1911s and their value relative to price. I mentioned in that thread that there is a difference between semi-custom and custom guns. This is a true custom gun. I just received it. It is built on a forged frame MKIII. I went with is Signature Grade I package minus the beavertail. I prefer the BHP without a beavertail. I went with stippling because I could not checker this gun because of the serial number location. I add some things and deleted some things from Mr Yost's Signature Grade I package to make it unique. I finished it off with a set of Craig Spegel Cocobolo grip which Mr Yost procured and fitted to the pistol. BHP grips often need to be fit to the gun.

This gun is shooting quarter sized groups with the factory barrel at 15 yards all day long if the shooter is up to the task. Mr. Yost and I talked about replacing the barrel and he recommended keeping the factory barrel and I am happy with the results. I have several custom BHPs. I have ones from Don Williams, Novak, Garthwaite, West and Bob Cogan. Each one has their own flare to them. Each one is a functional piece of art to my eyes but this Yost pistol might be the best of the bunch. The custom thumb safety is a thing of beauty. The devil is in the details of this pistol. The nitre pins, screws and accents are striking. The machining work on the hammer really cleans up the factory part. The pistol is super smooth and the reset modification that Ted does really improves the pistol. I have only had a short range session with this one but I am liking it so far. It was a pleasure working with Mr Yost on this build and down the road I will probably go back for a 1911.

Like I said in the other thread when you get to a certain price point you are paying for cosmetic and detail modifications that do not necessarily translate to function but make a pistol beautiful. When I talked with Mr Yost about BHPs in general he said that really all they need from a function standpoint is a good set of sights, a good safety and a good trigger job on quality parts. Everything else is for looks and to make them visually appealing. I think Ted accomplished that with this build.

Last edited by WVsig; March 22, 2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old March 22, 2019, 12:44 PM   #2
stephen426

Gorgeous gun. Congrats!!!
Old March 22, 2019, 02:23 PM   #3
mk70ss

You have a beautiful and classy High Power for sure!!!!1
Old March 22, 2019, 02:51 PM   #4
JDBerg

Man, I’d be thrilled to have my own BHP MKII done up like that one!

The craftsmen who can do BHP pistolsmith work to that level aren’t going to be around for a whole lot longer, so I think it’s well worth whatever the cost & wait time to have something like that delivered!
Old March 22, 2019, 03:28 PM   #5
lunger

That could be the nicest High Power I have ever seen. Well done Sir.
Old March 23, 2019, 06:36 AM   #6
Rinspeed

Congrats, what a sweet looking pistol.
Old March 23, 2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Siggy-06

I would have preferred the classic blued finish personally. I’m sure it shoots great.
Old March 23, 2019, 07:58 AM   #8
1stmar

WVsig how long did you have to wait before he started working on the pistol?
Old March 23, 2019, 08:13 AM   #9
rodfac

Wow...just Wow. Can I be in the will if something unfortunate happens to you WvSig?

I've come to like the white line front sight with a single dot or Sig type old school square rear very much. Quick acquisition in poor light or at speed, but the thin front line allows true precision when needed. You've got a first rate pistol, my friend. Truly a work of art.

And, BTW, the Spegel grips really stand out. What was the wait time on it?

Best regards, Rod & how 'bout posting some pics of your other custom builds?
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 23, 2019, 08:22 AM   #10
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
I would have preferred the classic blued finish personally. I’m sure it shoots great.
For me on a working gun which this one will be the polished flats and matte rounds is a function choice. The slickness of a polished slide makes the gun harder to rack. It will also show more wear from coming in and out of holster than the matte rounds in my experience. I could have had the gun polished out but it would also take away from some of the detail work like the stippling on the grip and ghost arrow pattern.

I do like a nice polished BHP as well.

Old March 23, 2019, 08:25 AM   #11
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmar View Post
WVsig how long did you have to wait before he started working on the pistol?
I sent the pistol in to Mr Yost in Aug of 2018 and got it back on 3/21/19. Most of that time the gun was simply sitting in the shop as a place holder. He builds BHPs in batches 1 or 2 times a year. This year he did the non-beavertail guns first so mine was done in the first set. He will then do a set with checkering and then a set with stippling that have beavertails.
Old March 23, 2019, 08:29 AM   #12
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Wow...just Wow. Can I be in the will if something unfortunate happens to you WvSig?

I've come to like the white line front sight with a single dot or Sig type old school square rear very much. Quick acquisition in poor light or at speed, but the thin front line allows true precision when needed. You've got a first rate pistol, my friend. Truly a work of art.

And, BTW, the Spegel grips really stand out. What was the wait time on it?

Best regards, Rod & how 'bout posting some pics of your other custom builds?
One day when I die I just hope my wife does not sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Garthwaite MKIII BHP

Don Williams Alloy BHP

Novak C series

APW Cogan T series Only Beavertail in the collection

Jim West of Wild West Guns C Series

Unknown smith C69 with Bomar Sight

Old March 23, 2019, 08:44 AM   #13
1stmar

Extremely reasonable. Nice collection
Old March 23, 2019, 07:27 PM   #14
rodfac

Thx much WvSig...great looking guns and functional too. I've had a decades long yen for one fitted with a good Baughman front sight and a S&W revolver rear sight. As I recall, Skelton had one made up that way, or maybe it was Askins in one of their customizing magazine articles. Fitted that way, it makes for a neater, lower sight profile than the high ones fitted on FN's adj. sight models. Yours is just right! If you need to part with it, I'm just over the border in KY near Louisville...

I have a .40 Standard that's the most accurate .40 I've ever fired...but the effort to rack that heavy recoil spring puts me off some. Also have a two-tone that's equally accurate and with a good trigger after I pulled out the magazine safety abomination. Both are stock but I did fit 'em with Hogue Cocobolo stocks.

I do have a warm spot in my heart for all Hi-Powers...carried one for the better part of my first tour in Vietnam in 1970. Was afraid they'd find it in my hold baggage on DEROS so left it with my successor. I'd give a month of Sunday's to have it back again...spent many a scary night in a slit trench 5 clicks from the Cambodian border, comforted by that superb gun.

Again, thx for the pics...and get me in the will!!!!

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; March 23, 2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old March 23, 2019, 11:59 PM   #15
Siggy-06

Here’s my Belgium C series from 1969:

Most comfortable pistol I’ve ever shot and held.
Old March 24, 2019, 10:17 AM   #16
Auto5

My wife is pretty ticked off at you guys right now. I think I'll just stay down here cleaning my MkIII until she cools off