The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2019, 05:42 AM   #1
Roamin_Wade

S&W SD9 VE vs Glock 9mm Pistols

Has anyone ever heard that the S&W SD9 VE is basically a knock-off Glock? I read somewhere that those S&W pistols are the most commonly found pistols in evidence rooms in police stations across the nation strictly because they are basically cheap Glocks. Does anyone reading this have any experience with the SV9 VE? If so, how reliable have you found them to be compared to a Glock? I’m interested in possibly acquiring the SD40 VE if I get positive input about this model S&W. Thanks!
Old March 21, 2019, 07:01 AM   #2
BBarn

The SD9 very closely copies many of the Glock design features. But there are some differences. For example, the Glock uses no spring/roll pins while the SD9 utilizes them to reduce cost.

My SD9 feeds and fires everything I've fed it.

I consider the SD9 a very good value. But being a low cost design, it would not be my choice for high round count use.
Old March 21, 2019, 07:07 AM   #3
Siggy-06

The biggest complaint I keep coming across is that the SD series has a mediocre trigger pull. But for a stainless semi auto double-stack that works, for under $300 its a good pistol.

Just an FYI, SoSS has M&P 2.0 Compacts in .40s&w for $299. Much more gun for the money.
Old March 21, 2019, 09:02 AM   #4
osbornk

I've had my SD9VE since 2015 and it has been dead reliable. Some people complain about the trigger but once I shot it a few hundred times, it either got better or I got used to it and I feel it works fine for me. I took it and my son-in-law's Glock 19 and they are so similar inside that it is very difficult to see any differences. They are also the same size and weight. I chose the SD because it is basically the same gun performance wise for half the cost. That being said, my favorite is my Taurus PT-111-G2 (now G2-C) It was $200 and is equally reliable and accurate with a slightly shorter barrel. Both the SD9VE and Taurus has a lifetime warranty for the original owner.
Old March 21, 2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Mosin44az

Had an SD 9 VE, it was OK, not quite as reliable as my Glock 19. Main thing was I couldn’t stand the heavy trigger, which I think Smith puts in so it won’t steal sales from the superior but more expensive M & P line.

Apex Tactical makes a trigger kit that supposedly cures the heavy trigger issue, but there goes your price advantage.

That M&P.40 deal Siggy mentions looks better.
Old March 21, 2019, 04:19 PM   #6
kymasabe

I had a nice FDE SD9, super reliable, ate everything I fed it. I eventually added an upgraded takedown lever and the Apwx trigger spring kit and made the trigger much nicer. Personally I like the SD9 mags more than Glock mags. And yes, S&W copied the Glock a little too carefully and got sued by Glock, and lost.
I sold my SD9 and bought a Beretta Nano, which is also a nice gun, but I'm selling the Nano and trying to buy back my SD9.
Old March 21, 2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Dufus

I have 4 of the SD9VE since 2015.

Reliable, so far has fed everything I have put in it including 135 gr cast bullets.

Two are back up guns that stay in the safe and the two others are carry guns by myself and the wife. She picked them out of the line up without any influence.

A lot of bullcrap about the trigger, but it is perfect for me as I DO NOT want a light trigger in a carry gun.

Between the 2 main guns we have maybe 1200 rounds in each of them, the other two have maybe 200 rounds thru each of them just to validate their function.

Also, S&W does their lifetime warranty on them.

If it weren't for these SD9s, I would not own a 9mm anything since I am not a fan of the caliber, but they shoot every time the trigger is pulled.

Take down for cleaning takes less than a minute.
Old March 21, 2019, 04:54 PM   #8
unclejack37

I had a SD9VE for years and side by side its very difficult to tell the difference between it and a Glock without seeing the writing. At the time I purchased it for under $300 and it ran everything I put thru it. I would rate it as very reliable. The reason I sold it was because I wanted something more concealable. It was a nice gun for the money.
Old March 24, 2019, 01:46 PM   #9
deputy tom

I prefer my SD9VE to the several Glocks I've owned. This model is closest to size and features of the G-19 but without the "Glock knuckle" problem. It shoots well and I like the trigger system and firmness. Great guns for the money spent. I'd buy it all over again. YMMV. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old March 24, 2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The SD trigger isn't really as bad as most make it out to be----if you're used to a stock 10/22--AR15 or 870 trigger---it will be fine.

For 3/5th's the cost of a new Glock, its a decent option if you're short on cash.
-------Metallica
Old March 24, 2019, 03:06 PM   #11
44caliberkid

I have an SD40VE, that I bought just because it was incredibly cheap. The trigger was super stiff. There is a guy on the internet (he has a YouTube video) that sells a reduced power spring for $5 or you can use a ball point pen spring, shortened. Takes less than 10 minutes to change. There are 3 springs in the trigger mechanism. Throw away the pig tail spring and replace the second one with the lower power spring. Some people say you can toss both springs, but I went with the lower power spring. Gives it a good trigger pull. It shoots point of aim, groups nice, I like it. It is the only polymer frame, striker fired pistol I have so don't know how it compares to a Glock.
Old March 24, 2019, 10:13 PM   #12
BigMikey76

I have an SD9, and I like it just fine. It is currently filling the role of bedside gun at my house, and I have no problem trusting it to protect my family. It has been 100% reliable with a variety of cheap practice ammo and various hollow points. It has gone to the range with me twice a month since I got it two years ago, so that adds up to around 2400 rounds or so with absolutely no failures of any kind.

That's about the best endorsement I can give for a gun.
Old March 25, 2019, 04:17 PM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard that the S&W SD9 VE is basically a knock-off Glock?
Glock obviously felt that way, as they sued S&W over the design of the Sigma pistol (from which the SD pistol is derived).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_SD
Old March 25, 2019, 04:28 PM   #14
Lohman446

I recall being at a gun shop and one of the guys swapped a Sigma slide assembly onto a Glock frame - you could pull the trigger and here the click. They were EXTREMELY similar and S+W seemed to make no effort to hide it.

The newer ones somehow make the Glock looked refine but "out Glock the Glock" in that they are unrefined but seem to function regardless of ammo or condition. Do I prefer Glocks? Yes but the price ratio is roughly 2:1 so they definitely have that going for them.
Old March 25, 2019, 04:34 PM   #15
ThomasT

A SD9VE has been my truck gun of choice since 2014. It has never bobbled or gave me a single problem. And i watched a Youtube video like the other guy stated and did the spring removal. Then I put back the pigtail spring and found a lighter replacement for the second spring and that did the trick for a smoother, not really lighter trigger. And they do smooth out with use.

I have the only all black one I have ever seen. Mosy are two tone except the ones now sold by Academy. When I bought mine there was a $50 rebate and two free factory mags. So now I have 4 mags and a great pistol. Mine also came with one of the High Intensity mini flashlights that take the fat CR123 batteries or what ever they are called.

Academy has a house version that is all black and come with upgrade sights on them. If I wasn't strapped for cash I would buy one. They were listed as on sale for $300+ tax.

If this doesn't make you want one you just can't be sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cleMs8xmqc
Old March 26, 2019, 03:55 AM   #16
Carl the Floor Walker

The New Mossberg C1 would also be a gun I would check out. I like the way you can easily remove the striker for easy cleaning.
Old March 26, 2019, 11:31 AM   #17
hagar

The old Sigma V 9mm I have, will shoot the pants off a G17, especially at ranges over 25 yards. Glocks seem to lose it at long range, I shot some groups at 65 yards with the Sigma that would give me bragging rights at 25.

And my 357 Sigma V is just plain astounding. They only made a few of them..
Old March 26, 2019, 07:35 PM   #18
youngridge

Both are great firearms. Trigger isn’t as good on the Smith and Wesson but the price makes up for it. Depends on what you want to spend. I enjoy my Glocks but if I were to do it all over again I would take a harder look at what the Smith and Wesson line up have to offer to fill my needs as a double stack 9mm or single stack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk