The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 10, 2020, 01:55 PM   #1
TXAZ

What optic would you put on an AR-10 for home defense

Initially for home defense, what optic would you put on a .308 semi w/ 18” barrel for threats out to 50-100 yards?
Not for hunting or target shooting @ 500-1000 at this time.
Red / green dot?
Laser?
Low power wide view scope?
Something else?

Late add: How about holographic sights?
Thanks!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; August 10, 2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old August 10, 2020, 03:23 PM   #2
stephen426

For the 50-100 yard range, I’d say a small MOA red dot with good brightness adjustability would be sufficient. I like the open style reticle compared to the tube style, but I think that is more a matter of preference. There are some tube style that have some magnification if you need.

I would avoid lasers as it does give away your position. I’d say a powerful light with a momentary switch is probably a good add on since it is always important to clearly identify your target. Tru-Glo makes a combination light/laser with momentary switches. I have that mounted on my Keltec KSG and a Sight Mark red/green reticle sight. I know it isn’t EOTech or Trijicon, but this isn’t for constant or hard use.
Old August 10, 2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I use red dots on all my close range defensive rifles.

My go to is an AAC SBR in 300blk. Im currently running a Sig Romeo 5 with a circle/dot reticle. Shake to wake feature makes the batteries last forever. At in home / CQB distances the circle on his chest is fast and accurate. If i need to stretch distances or get more precision, the dot is good enough for 300yd holdovers.

Another advantage of the circle/dot is the bottom of the circle gives a good holdover reference for up close head shots.
Old August 10, 2020, 07:10 PM   #4
krunchnik

Also as another idea is the Prism sights in anything from 1 to 3 power range-I have a Vortex Spitfire on one and I cheaped out and put a Monstrum on my other .556.
Old August 10, 2020, 07:55 PM   #5
buckey

I run a Primary arms 2X Prism sight on my Ar10 Armalite, Seems good out to 300yds or so. Over 300yds I still wouldn't want to be shot at with it!
Old August 10, 2020, 08:17 PM   #6
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunchnik View Post
Also as another idea is the Prism sights in anything from 1 to 3 power range-I have a Vortex Spitfire on one and I cheaped out and put a Monstrum on my other .556.
I agree! I have the 3x Vortex spitfire on my AR designated for home defense. It has 5 settings for the illumination brightness red or green , and has a bdc reticle that is good to 500 yards and have tested it that distances. Best part about the reticle that it is etched and if the batteries die on you, you can still see them for day use. The reticle also has a semi-circle which is to be used for close quarters. Where the semi-circle is on the target is where you hit.
Old August 10, 2020, 09:00 PM   #7
jmr40

I don't have an AR10, but I'd do exactly the same as I do with my AR15's in 223. I've found a 1-4X or 1-6X conventional scope to be the most versatile option. You'll spend less money to get a good one too.

On 1X they are faster on target than irons or dot sights especially in poor light. You shoot them with both eyes open just like dot sights. It is easy to see the dot on dot sights in low light, but the optics are so poor on most of them you can't see the target.

I also have a light mounted on all of my AR's. If I have to I can make a shot in full dark out to 100 yards with the light on.

I've shot MOA at 400 yards with a 4X scope and MOA at 600 with a 6X scope if you ever decide to shoot farther.

Winston Churchill
Old August 10, 2020, 09:22 PM   #8
jaysouth

An AR-10 for home defense? Seriously, you need to talk to a criminal defense attorney.
Old August 10, 2020, 10:55 PM   #9
O4L

I use a Vortex Spitfire 1x prism scope on my HD rifle.
Old August 10, 2020, 10:55 PM   #10
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
An AR-10 for home defense? Seriously, you need to talk to a criminal defense attorney.
Thanks jaysouth.

My current home defense weapon is a 35 lb, 70” long suppressed .50 Cal Barrett Semi, so we’re downsizing a bit.

Did you have a recommendation for an optic?

Old August 11, 2020, 07:09 AM   #11
jman841

I just switched from a red dot to a Primary Arms 1-6 LPVO and really like it, especially with the ACSS reticle. It's super fast to acquire targets out to 600 yards and amazing quality for the money.

With that said, if the intention was CQB, in home defense, I would go with a red dot as they are simply faster at target acquisition, lighter, and more forgiving with eye relief if you're having to shoulder the rifle quickly
Old August 11, 2020, 08:07 AM   #12
imashooter

So many choices. Regarding a visible laser. I'm only stating a fact. A visible laser no more "gives your position away" than a "visible" illuminator (tac-light) does as well. With or without a laser, it's nice to see the target.
Old August 11, 2020, 10:40 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
My current home defense weapon is a 35 lb, 70” long suppressed .50 Cal Barrett Semi, so we’re downsizing a bit.
Big mistake--I upgraded to a 20mm Bofors and have never looked back.

In all seriousness I have a LR308 carbine with am unmagnified red dot and have no issues hitting a milk jug (randomly distanced) standing freehand out to 100 yds pretty quickly--can get down to sub MOA with a support.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 11, 2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old August 11, 2020, 12:19 PM   #14
ghbucky

TXAZ,

I put a 1x Leupold RDS zerod at 25 yards on my AR.

I spotted for my brother when he used it to peg a static silhouette at 330 yards.
Old August 11, 2020, 02:39 PM   #15
raimius

Red dots/Holo sights are the fastest sighting system for rifles at short ranges. So, for home defense, it's the defacto choice.

If you want more versatility, a LPVO scope may be a good choice. It would be a slight reduction in short range speed though.

Why a .308 for HD? They tend to be harder to maneuver and slower for follow up than the more popular intermediate cartridge rifles (.223, 300blk, 7.62x 39 etc)
Old August 11, 2020, 02:57 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

No specific recommendation, just remember that anything that runs on batteries CAN run out when Murphy shows up.

I use an old Weaver 2.5x POST scope on my .308 Rem 600. No deer that has attacked my home has ever survived that one.
Old August 11, 2020, 04:34 PM   #17
TXAZ

Raimius et al: Why .308 for HD?
Easy:
1) I wanted a .308 for target shooting at ranges that don’t allow Boomer.
2) My wife said I could buy a HD rifle.
3) I got tired of asking burglars to wait while I put in double hearing protection before unleashing Boomer on them. *

Result: I need a .308 for HD.

* That’s sarcasm for the humor impaired .

Old August 11, 2020, 05:10 PM   #18
rickyrick

Quote:
I use an old Weaver
I use old weavers on a few of my rifles.
I have a 1x dot reticle weaver that I can shoot with both eyes open. I like batteries in range toys, but anything I need for food or defense, gets a good ole weaver or something with a physical reticle.

Being it is .308 in lighter rifle... I’d get a little bit longer eye relief.
Old August 11, 2020, 06:49 PM   #19
stagpanther

Quote:
No specific recommendation, just remember that anything that runs on batteries CAN run out when Murphy shows up.
Good point--my red dot equipped AR carbines have full-time cowitnessed irons to immediately fail-over to if necessary.

PA 10

Home/perimeter defense? You bet, without hesitation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pa10carbine.jpg (142.8 KB, 597 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; August 11, 2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old August 12, 2020, 06:46 PM   #20
Hawg

Red dot. This is a good cheaper one for 139.00.

Old August 13, 2020, 08:10 AM   #21
Metal god

Quote:
Very good point and is why I've been slowly converting to the 50k hour ( 5 years ) battery life red dots which is my recommendation for home defense . The oldest one I have is about 1yr old . This has got me thinking though . I don't think I've ever pulled batteries out of anything that had been installed for 5 years and they not be corroded . So although the 5 year battery life idea is very cool , I'm thinking every 2 years max I should be switching out batteries ??

Also , 308 for home defense ? If that's the only option it's a good one but.....

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 13, 2020, 08:38 AM   #22
Joe-ker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Red dot. This is a good cheaper one for 139.00.

I have a similar Holoson. I like the both eyes open targeting, low lite functionality, long battery life, auto on and off, and co witness. All a must on a SD weapon.
Old August 13, 2020, 03:52 PM   #23
kymasabe

I too prefer a small red dot scope, I'm running a Sig Romeo4c
And...what Joe-ker said, " I like the both eyes open targeting, low lite functionality, long battery life, auto on and off, and co witness. All a must on a SD weapon".
Old August 13, 2020, 06:31 PM   #24
Willie Lowman

I have an AimPoint M5 on my SCAR. it boasts a 5 year battery life. I just leave it turned on.
Old August 14, 2020, 12:04 AM   #25
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman View Post
I have an AimPoint M5 on my SCAR. it boasts a 5 year battery life. I just leave it turned on.
So does the Holosun. The Aimpoint is obviously the better brand but for the price the Holosun is a good deal. Holosun 139.99, Aimpoint M5 854.00